tesco new return policy

Options
Just a heads up as Tesco have now changed their return policy on some items.
A couple of weeks ago I had to return a canon printer cartridge wrongly bought by the missus - unopened with full receipt, only to be told that they can not give refunds only exchange. After a prolonged with Manager pointing out that there was NOTHING in writing/signs saying such. Today, I went into Tesco to buy a new braun electric toothbrush, and there are signs saying " No refunds on Toothbrushes or printer cartridges", but nothing about shavers, printers, televisions, shoes,etc,etc. Spoke to to CS who promptly told me that it applied to other items as well. It seems that no one @ T's has any idea what's going on. There's going to be hell to pay come Christmas.
P.S. I just returned the printer cartridge to the original store.!

Comments

• hollydays
    hollydays Posts: 19,812 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Just a heads up as Tesco have now changed their return policy on some items.
    A couple of weeks ago I had to return a canon printer cartridge wrongly bought by the missus - unopened with full receipt, only to be told that they can not give refunds only exchange. After a prolonged with Manager pointing out that there was NOTHING in writing/signs saying such. Today, I went into Tesco to buy a new braun electric toothbrush, and there are signs saying " No refunds on Toothbrushes or printer cartridges", but nothing about shavers, printers, televisions, shoes,etc,etc. Spoke to to CS who promptly told me that it applied to other items as well. It seems that no one @ T's has any idea what's going on. There's going to be hell to pay come Christmas.
    P.S. I just returned the printer cartridge to the original store.!

Online they clearly state about cartridges and toothbrushes.
    Why can't you just exchange
  • diamond_dave
    Options
    missing the point, - no one knows the correct policy.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    missing the point, - no one knows the correct policy.
    You mean staff you have had contact with didn't know, that's not the same thing at all..
  • DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Do they display a policy allowing returns for in-store purchases? The default legal position is that no returns are allowed for change of mind, only for breaches of contract, so you were already expecting something that you may not have even been entitled to. In fact they don't even need to allow exchanges never mind refunds.
  • mattyprice4004
    Options
    It does baffle me how a lot of people assume they can return anything for a refund - this isn't the case at all, as has been discovered.

The store is obliged to do nothing unless the product purchased in store is faulty - and that doesn't mean just doesn't fit because it's the wrong item.
  • Enterprise_1701C
    Options
    It is not much to ask that you actually but the correct item in the first place.

The best thing to do with the unwanted cartridge is to sell it on online.

Shops are only obliged to refund for faulty goods or other contractual problems.

Did they say you could only exchange for another cartridge or could you have used it to exchange for other things?
    What is this life if, full of care, we have no time to stand and stare
  • diamond_dave
    Options
    What is the matter with everyone here? All i am trying to do is to WARN people about the change of policy in Tesco - as for the comments about buying the correct product/ and assuming that one can automatically return items, you all should read the terms of returning items. Anyway, sorry that I tried to help others. Happy Christmas.
  • Undervalued
    Undervalued Posts: 8,853 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    It does baffle me how a lot of people assume they can return anything for a refund - this isn't the case at all, as has been discovered.

The store is obliged to do nothing unless the product purchased in store is faulty - and that doesn't mean just doesn't fit because it's the wrong item.

Not quite!

The item must also be fit for the purpose for which it was sold. So if a sales person told you it would do job X, when if fact it was only designed to do job Y, then that would also be legal grounds for a refund
  • eddddy
    eddddy Posts: 16,448 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Today, I went into Tesco to buy a new braun electric toothbrush, and there are signs saying " No refunds on Toothbrushes or printer cartridges", but nothing about shavers, printers, televisions, shoes,etc,etc. Spoke to to CS who promptly told me that it applied to other items as well.

According to their website, "in-store purchases of ink cartridges and electronic toothbrushes" are specific exclusions from their 30 day return and refund policy. (Most other electrical items can be returned for a refund)...
    https://www.tesco.com/help/returns-policy/

I wonder why they specifically picked on those items? Other supermarkets don't seem to have similar exclusions to their returns policy.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    It's not that baffling when you consider that many many retailers have a returns policy which goes far beyond what the law requires. It's therefore natural that some people will assume this is a Consumer Right and act accordingly.

eddddy wrote: »
    I wonder why they specifically picked on those items?
    Obviously, Tesco have had problems with shrinkage on such items. A returned electric toothbrush will have no way to guarantee it has not been used and repackaged by the purchaser. As for printer inks, although these are definitely sealed in their packaging Tesco have obviously decided to err on the side of caution..
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure