PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

May 2010 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• Lindy_-_Loo
    Lindy_-_Loo Posts: 802 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Spent £3 in Farmfood on milk, bread and tea bags. avoided the goodies aisle!

Sig updated
    Mum, wife and dinnerlady!
  • rosieben
    rosieben Posts: 5,010 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 11 May 2010 at 1:58PM
    Options
    BigMummaF wrote: »
    This is a very supportive group & I promise you I do read every day but don't always have anything to say, altho The Offspring would probably argue on that :p

It must be make-do-menus-in-May; everyone seems to be using up the stores they already have in :) The other day I defrosted some pork sausagemeat & managed to do 10 adult portions by adding a couple of tins of pulses, eggs & fresh breadcrumbs that had been lurking in the freezer. I ...

BMF you're so right, (and hello by the way, good to see you! :)) this is a very supportive group;

ASC, don't feel you have to apologise - the GC is your personal challenge, you run it how it suits you best. And as Helen Jelly would say (havent seen her here in a while, hope she's ok) we don't use the F word here, there's no such thing as failure! On the other hand, we most certainly do celebrate our successes :D

so, lizbob, use the vouchers as you prefer. I would probably use them for a bit of stock up plus a few treats and just ignore it as far as the month's spends are concerned

Meant to say BMF, that I have a half packet of sausagemeat in the freezer so I plan to mix it with some packet stuffing and turn it into sausage rolls; now I've not tried this before so fingers crossed! I might add a little apple sauce to it as well. :)
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string! :D

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
  • Long_tall_sally
    Long_tall_sally Posts: 1,086 Forumite
    Options
    Spent another sizeable chunk yesterday & today. Now only have £74 left to last me another two weeks! Oh dear, that doesn't look good although I do have quite a lot of toilet rolls, wine, ketchup, marg, chocolate bars, meat, soups and pasta / curry sauces that should last until the end of the month if not more. Will need some more bread & f & veg though.
    Grocery aim £450pm.Spent £519 August, £584 July, £544 June, £541 May, £549 April, £517 March, £517 Feb,£555 Jan, £573 Dec, £465Nov, £561Oct, £493Sept, £426Aug,£496 Jul, £528Jun, £506May,£498April, £558 March, £500Feb, £500 Jan, £490 Dec, £555 Nov,£566 Oct, £505Sept, £450Aug, £410 July, £437 June, £491 May, £471 April, £440 March, £552Feb, £462Jan
  • meanmarie
    meanmarie Posts: 5,328 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Afternoon all,

Spent another €24 to-day......total spent now running at €115.76, leaving me the princely sum of €44.24 to see me out until 29th May....have lots of meat so might even make it!

Good luck everybody

Marie
    Weight 08 February 86kg
  • clothhany
    clothhany Posts: 17 Forumite
    Options
    :THI I'm a newby, can I pro rata my budget for May at 245, used to be a complete spendaholic but life catches up, all your posts are very inspiring
  • pipersky
    pipersky Posts: 954 Forumite
    Options
    Hiya everyone - not much to report, had an (admittedly unplanned) NSD today but will be getting a few bits and pieces tomorrow... Still feeling confident although my freezer is less full than I remembered... uh oh ... :D

ETA: Welcome clothhany :)
    Part time GCer, NSDer, Comper and (Bad)Flylady :o
    A big shot is just a little shot that kept shooting ...
  • Joanie72
    Joanie72 Posts: 12 Forumite
    Options
    Hi folks - joined a couple of weeks ago and been lurking since. Time for an update.
    Mixed report I'm afraid - I didn't follow everyone's advice to keep all receipts as I thought I'd be able to keep track. I couldn't, and when my OH went shopping I lost track even more.
    Then my car window was broken at the weekend (cue rant on the youth of today) so I'm £50 lighter, and to top it off the woman renting OH's house and decided not to pay her rent this month, which leaves us several hundred pounds adrift.
    So, in short, I've decided to grasp this challenge by the short and curlies.
    I've looked at the figures and there's £170 in my account until the end of the month, and £100 cash in the house. I've got enough food for about 10 days worth of meals, which means I'll just need to buy pet food, fresh stuff and should be able to make the rest last out.
    the good news is I'm really positive about that, I reckon £270 to last three weeks, considering I've a house full of food and (as OH is away working for two weeks) just me, two DD, the dog, 4 cats and rabbit to feed, is not a real challenge at all actually. Specially since I've cracked the bread-making, thanks to Delia!
    Also getting a dab hand at shortbread.
    I've decided to keep a special purse just for this money, and only use that, to help me keep track.
    And I will keep receipts!! On the plus side, ignoring the £50 to have my car window replaced, I've just realised I've spent a big fat zero today.
    Go me!!
    Trying to be better . . .

May GC £330/£600
    May NSD 2
  • Joanie72
    Joanie72 Posts: 12 Forumite
    Options
    Forgot to say, had leftover buns threatening to go stale so had a go at making bread and butter pudding with them - not tried it with buns before.
    Resounding success, pudding demolished and six buns, along with eight eggs, put to good use. Result!
    Trying to be better . . .

May GC £330/£600
    May NSD 2
  • 4kids4cats
    4kids4cats Posts: 34 Forumite
    Options
    Hi, well despite my best intentions, I did what I always do - one 'main' shop, well within budget (£48.13, including birthday treats for my son) and then lots of little bits which came to almost as much as the so-called main shop! So, last week I spent £86.81 altogether whereas in my head I think I spend much less than that. Doing this challenge is so good for me - I will be able to see what is really going on and where the money all goes. I have picked up some great reductions though - my fave was 2 bags of salad in Morrison's for 9p each - I cooked some chicken breast from the freezer and made a sort-of chicken Caesar salad, which served 5 of us one night and 3 of us the following day for lunch - and it was yummy!
    Have updated signature.
  • rachbc
    rachbc Posts: 4,461 Forumite
    Options
    had a crumby 2 weeks with family illness so blew a few quid on some treats - bottle of wine and a couple of tubs of bogof icecream from M&S. Don't feel guilty as we are doing pretty well in other area f the budget!
    People seem not to see that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character.
    Ralph Waldo Emerson
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport