Amazon Logistics (rant)

Options

Comments

• Doc_N
    Doc_N Posts: 8,271 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    custardy wrote: »
    Amazon also IME always list if they have the item listed cheaper without prime.

They do indeed - which rather proves the point that Chrysalis was making.
  • custardy
    custardy Posts: 38,365 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Doc_N wrote: »
    They do indeed - which rather proves the point that Chrysalis was making.

also IME those items are available from other sellers.
    Thats not a Prime premium
  • dacouch
    dacouch Posts: 21,637 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Chrysalis wrote: »
    yes as I have ordered amazon pantry before as well.

Doesnt matter whats been delivered, it can be organised in set routes, and set routes means estimated times can be provided, in addition a GPS tracker is not exactly difficult to implement.

If you watched the expose on TV of Amazon's employment of their drivers.

Their routes are designed by a computer, the computer will reroute them if they fall behind schedule and have priority packages that need delivering that day.

They are also harrassed by their supervisers who have real time access to see what parcels they have left on board and (Computer) estimates of what time (If at all) they will finish their route. When they have parcels that Amazon have marketed as a guaranteed delivery on a certain date eg a console game on it's first day of release. They will receive phone calls from the office to tell them to drop everything else until they have cleared delivery of the super priority items
  • Chrysalis
    Chrysalis Posts: 4,154 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 3 December 2017 at 7:39PM
    Options
    GPS tracked for the company/customer or recipient? If its for the recipient,who is paying for the costs? What does the courier location tell the recipient?
    How do you offer set routes for contractors who can deliver at their leisure/timescales? What about collections?

GPS tracking for either it doesnt matter.

GPS tracking is very cheap and simple, can be as easy as an app on a phone. DPD have it in their guns.

Regarding the contractors, you either tell them to do the set routes within set times or look for other employment, I expect they would soon comply.

Although I would ditch the contractor arrangement and employ them as proper full time workers.

Collections are factored into the routes of course, I dont see how they different, they are added to the route, but its a collection instead of a drop off.

The bulk of cost doing this is likely in staff training and acceptance, and software development.

DPD also employ contractors at busy times like christmas, but they still track drivers and have set routes for their contractors.
  • Chrysalis
    edited 3 December 2017 at 7:43PM
    Options
    dacouch wrote: »
    If you watched the expose on TV of Amazon's employment of their drivers.

Their routes are designed by a computer, the computer will reroute them if they fall behind schedule and have priority packages that need delivering that day.

They are also harrassed by their supervisers who have real time access to see what parcels they have left on board and (Computer) estimates of what time (If at all) they will finish their route. When they have parcels that Amazon have marketed as a guaranteed delivery on a certain date eg a console game on it's first day of release. They will receive phone calls from the office to tell them to drop everything else until they have cleared delivery of the super priority items

Yes its bad management and hence the mess. Very fixable tho with a change of culture applied to the company.

From what you described (and I have no reason to disbelieve you), they do have routes, but they cannot reliably keep them hence the non disclosure to customers of estimated times. So aside from better management it also sounds like they need more drivers so less parcels per driver to deliver.
  • custardy
    Options
    GPS tracking for either it doesnt matter.

GPS tracking is very cheap and simple, can be as easy as an app on a phone. DPD have it in their guns.

Regarding the contractors, you either tell them to do the set routes within set times or look for other employment, I expect they would soon comply.

Although I would ditch the contractor arrangement and employ them as proper full time workers.

Collections are factored into the routes of course, I dont see how they different, they are added to the route, but its a collection instead of a drop off.

The bulk of cost doing this is likely in staff training and acceptance, and software development.

DPD also employ contractors at busy times like christmas, but they still track drivers and have set routes for their contractors.

DPDs system isnt just 'gps tracking',all that does is tell you where someone is.
    Have you never organised a collection on the same day as you want it collected?
  • custardy
    Options
    Yes its bad management and hence the mess. Very fixable tho with a change of culture applied to the company.

From what you described (and I have no reason to disbelieve you), they do have routes, but they cannot reliably keep them hence the non disclosure to customers of estimated times. So aside from better management it also sounds like they need more drivers so less parcels per driver to deliver.

So more drivers.less work from the drivers and add more costs to the infrastructure.
    You basically describe the polar opposite of how Amazon have become Amazon......
  • Doc_N
    Doc_N Posts: 8,271 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    So more drivers.less work from the drivers and add more costs to the infrastructure.
    You basically describe the polar opposite of how Amazon have become Amazon......

And yet things do look to be improving. All my Logistics deliveries now show a map, where the van is,and how many deliveries there are before mine.

Not perfect but certainly an improvement and my guess is that it's stage one in a move towards one more two hour delivery slots.
  • custardy
    Options
    Doc_N wrote: »
    And yet things do look to be improving. All my Logistics deliveries now show a map, where the van is,and how many deliveries there are before mine.

Not perfect but certainly an improvement and my guess is that it's stage one in a move towards one more two hour delivery slots.

I expect they will. Amazon will do what they can as long as it fits their model.
    However there is always a market towards the cheaper end.
    Folks buy cheap then moan they dont get premium service.
  • Chrysalis
    Options
    DPDs system isnt just 'gps tracking',all that does is tell you where someone is.
    Have you never organised a collection on the same day as you want it collected?

you can track the DPD driver via GPS on phone or website.

I said its GPS tracked "and" set routes using special software which can pump out estimated delivery hour from the route.

I have never done same day collection no, didnt even know was a thing.

However now I know what you mean, I expect thats not too difficult for the software to provide the optimal time to do a pickup or if no optimal time have the pickup at end of day after all deliveries completed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback