Best free email provider?

Options
SPnomore
SPnomore Posts: 12 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
edited 13 July 2017 at 9:44PM in Techie Stuff
Is there any consensus on the best. i.e. reliable, un-intrusive and hopefully future proof?

I looked into this a while back but got put off when the "best" wanted my mobile phone number to register. Now, as long as they are trustworthy and won't spam me, I accept that will be ok.

Been with Virgin Media since before they were Virgin Media but cannot stand them a minute longer, so need to get rid asap and preferably with an independent supplier rather than tying myself into a specific provider.

I ideally need about 6 addresses to keep things separate if possible and I currently use IMAP on my mobile if that is important.

Comments

• esuhl
    esuhl Posts: 9,409 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I've used GMX for years. Super reliable, IMAP support, and support for most things that any email service is likely to support.

https://www.gmx.co.uk/
  • Alter_ego
    Alter_ego Posts: 3,842 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    mail.com does it for me
    I am not a cat (But my friend is)
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    GMX is also my free email provider of choice at the moment, although I have accounts with several others too. However, my main accounts are paid for.
  • BonsaiClouds
    Options
    Thunderbird is great, especially for being able to really easily switch between multiple email inboxes.
  • giraffe69
    giraffe69 Posts: 3,558 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Thunderbird is great, especially for being able to really easily switch between multiple email inboxes.

But Thunderbird is a mail application. It doesn't supply email. You need an email account first!
  • Frozen_up_north
    Frozen_up_north Posts: 2,420 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I'm surprised no one has mentioned Gmail. The phone app works well and I don't see adverts on the web page when checking on a Windows PC.

I appreciate that Google will be using my data, for more sensitive stuff I have Tutanota (https://tutanota.com) that provides encrypted email and secure storage. You get 1GB of storage space for free.

For the paranoid, there is ProtonMail (https://protonmail.com), you only get 500MB of free storage. They are based in Switzerland and have high levels of security.
  • forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,552 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I have everything from AOL, Yahoo and Gmail etc etc. They all do the job although Yahoo appear to have more security issues than the others.

Maybe its just reported more than the others?
    Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• RumRat
    RumRat Posts: 4,790 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Another vote for GMX, used them for years without a single problem. Does most of what Gmail does, but a little less nosey.
    Drinking Rum before 10am makes you
    A PIRATE
    Not an Alcoholic...!
  • angryparcel
    angryparcel Posts: 926 Forumite
    Options
    you will find a lot of online websites block free emails like gmail, yahoo, GMX etc.
  • Frozen_up_north
    Options
    you will find a lot of online websites block free emails like gmail, yahoo, GMX etc.

I've not had any websites stop me using a Gmail address and I do a lot of web ordering.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure