Best free email provider?

Options

Comments

• Frozen_up_north
    Frozen_up_north Posts: 2,420 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    They do, i use all these in my line of business.
    This is part of the list of banned emails that Maxmind and Fraudlab use ( notice the ones i have marked with a red line.

<SNIP>
    Just checked my gmail address with Fraudlab and they haven't an issue with it.

The only mail order outfit I've had an issue with was HP when I tried to order a laptop, their accounts department wouldn't allow dispatch to send it, despite having taken the money from my credit card. No idea what the issue was, they wouldn't say.
  • BonsaiClouds
    Options
    giraffe69 wrote: »
    But Thunderbird is a mail application. It doesn't supply email. You need an email account first!

Ahh yes, my mistake.
  • Mabel2012
    Mabel2012 Posts: 273 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I used hotmail, Tiscali, yahoo and Gmail email providers for years. I dropped hotmail when I had some issues and started to use Tiscali when I was on dial up internet service. That worked fine but when I started having issues with Talk Talk I decided to have another email address, that was when I signed up to Yahoo. After leaving Talk Talk, I expected to lose my Tiscali email as they told me they couldn't guarantee it would be available after a few months. I have a couple of Gmail accounts but I don't really like them. Now, due to the security problems on Yahoo, Tiscali is my most reliable email address. I use Thunderbird email client to manage my various email addresses and that was just fine until last week when it suddenly had problems downloading mail from Yahoo.

Has anyone heard of the "[CLIENTBUG] SELECT command is not valid in this state" security problem. It started out by rejecting valid passwords and after changing the password several times after second guessing if it was correct, it stopped downloading the messages to Thunderbird and up popped the Clientbug error message. This happens every time I try and download messages. All folders from my default Yahoo account on Thunderbird have vanished with this Command bug and that is so annoying as Thunderbird is great for organising my messages.

I'm now looking for a new email provider. I want one that works with an email client so I don't have to keep logging in and out of several email addresses. Thunderbird worked great for me for more than ten years and ironically it is still downloading Tiscali emails. It's just as well as I don't know how to access them in Tiscali/TalkTalk.
  • debitcardmayhem
    debitcardmayhem Posts: 11,858 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Welcome to the world of Yahoo I send an email from TB using my yahoo account, to two of my accounts, and then reply to the Yahoo address I get this
    This user doesn't have a yahoo.com account

Oh yes it does otherwise how can I reply ?? The headers say it's from [EMAIL="me&#64;yahoo.com"]me@yahoo.com[/EMAIL] but yahoo says nope
    Use gmx, or google perhaps
    🍺 😎 Still grumpy, and No, Cloudflare I am NOT a robot 🤖BUT my responses are now out of my control they are posted via ChatGPT or the latest AI
  • debitcardmayhem
    debitcardmayhem Posts: 11,858 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    I have since found this https://help.yahoo.com/kb/mail-for-desktop/SLN2153.html?impressions=true
    Apparently despite me getting mails from yahoostating from me@yahoo.com the only way of receiving them is to use reply-to me@yahoo.co.uk Hmmmmm
    🍺 😎 Still grumpy, and No, Cloudflare I am NOT a robot 🤖BUT my responses are now out of my control they are posted via ChatGPT or the latest AI
  • virgo17
    virgo17 Posts: 955 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Mabel2012 wrote: »
    I'm now looking for a new email provider. I want one that works with an email client so I don't have to keep logging in and out of several email addresses. Thunderbird worked great for me for more than ten years and ironically it is still downloading Tiscali emails.

I use GMX using IMAP with Thunderbird and it is an excellent combination. You get up to ten email addresses, one main and nine aliases.

It isn't my main email service as I run my own server. However, for family email it works well and sometimes when away or travelling it is useful to use their web interface.
  • longwalks1
    longwalks1 Posts: 3,739 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    All
    Sorry to jump in, but am after a new email privder too, looks like GMX has a lot of votes. Random question, is is better/safer to not have it as 'your name' @ email.com, or better to, or does it not matter? I'll obviously avoid something stupid like 'hunkylover69@ blah blah, but wanted peoples opinions on to use your name, or not?
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Depends what you need the address for, if you're intending to identify yourself in the emails that you send then using your name in the address is a good idea. But if you're intending to stay anonymous use something else, I tend to use part of my name with some random-ish numbers.
  • Shrimply
    Shrimply Posts: 869 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Also a fan of gmx having given up with Yahoo a few years back for just being generally flaky and being a complete pain.

I have one that is literally just my three initials which I generally use for most things. Brilliant for handing out because it's so short and one which is my more complete name which I use for more professional correspondence.
  • rmg1
    rmg1 Posts: 3,131 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Mabel2012 wrote: »
    I used hotmail, Tiscali, yahoo and Gmail email providers for years. I dropped hotmail when I had some issues and started to use Tiscali when I was on dial up internet service. That worked fine but when I started having issues with Talk Talk I decided to have another email address, that was when I signed up to Yahoo. After leaving Talk Talk, I expected to lose my Tiscali email as they told me they couldn't guarantee it would be available after a few months. I have a couple of Gmail accounts but I don't really like them. Now, due to the security problems on Yahoo, Tiscali is my most reliable email address. I use Thunderbird email client to manage my various email addresses and that was just fine until last week when it suddenly had problems downloading mail from Yahoo.

Has anyone heard of the "[CLIENTBUG] SELECT command is not valid in this state" security problem. It started out by rejecting valid passwords and after changing the password several times after second guessing if it was correct, it stopped downloading the messages to Thunderbird and up popped the Clientbug error message. This happens every time I try and download messages. All folders from my default Yahoo account on Thunderbird have vanished with this Command bug and that is so annoying as Thunderbird is great for organising my messages.

I'm now looking for a new email provider. I want one that works with an email client so I don't have to keep logging in and out of several email addresses. Thunderbird worked great for me for more than ten years and ironically it is still downloading Tiscali emails. It's just as well as I don't know how to access them in Tiscali/TalkTalk.

My MIL had an issue with Thunderbird and a Yahoo (I think) account.
    I had to go into the settings on the account (using webmail) and allow it to use applications with less secure settings (the setting had wording along those lines) and then everything was fine.
    :wall: Flagellation, necrophilia and bestiality - Am I flogging a dead horse? :wall:

Any posts are my opinion and only that. Please read at your own risk.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure