The Edcawber Principle

Options

Comments

• smallholdingsister
    Options
    ZTD you are so snarkily funny. I think you might be Avon from Blakes 7.
  • edinburgher
    edinburgher Posts: 13,463 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    AlexLK wrote: »
    On another note, heard the snow is so bad near you that people have been stuck on the motorway for 2 days? :eek:

Well, vaguely near us! In all fairness, most of them shouldn't have been on the motorway to begin with... We haven't had the car on the road since Wednesday, managed a small local trip today and even that involved one controlled skid
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,296 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    Have to agree that most of them should have not been travelling.
    You do wonder!!
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • AlexLK
    AlexLK Posts: 6,125 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    I suppose one assumes it will be fine in any vehicle if keeping to main roads. I made a long journey to and from London area over Wednesday and yesterday. Took the LR so no chance of getting stuck. Surprised to see snow settling on the M1, though.
    2018 totals:
    Savings £11,200
    Mortgage Overpayments £5,500
  • beanielou
    Options
    I was talking about central Scotland Alex, sorry, when there were red weather warnings in place.
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

• ZTD
    ZTD Posts: 24,327 Forumite
    Options
    ZTD you are so snarkily funny. I think you might be Avon from Blakes 7.

Snarky? Moi? :A
    "Follow the money!" - Deepthroat (AKA William Mark Felt Sr - Associate Director of the FBI)
    "We were born and raised in a summer haze." Adele 'Someone like you.'
    "Blowing your mind, 'cause you know what you'll find, when you're looking for things in the sky."
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
  • ZTD
    ZTD Posts: 24,327 Forumite
    Options
    I suppose one assumes it will be fine in any vehicle if keeping to main roads.

Well that in turn, depends. The motorway in England which was stuck was the M62. I traveled over that one time in a whiteout - not fun. But during one of the worst snow events in the past 20 years? I wouldn't have done it.

However, as far as the M74 goes - that's turning in an annual event. At the very least, they should be banning lorries from it when there's a certain amount of snow. A bit like the Redheugh bridge and wind.
    Took the LR so no chance of getting stuck.

In both events, it's not can you and your vehicle make it? It's can sufficient numbers of other people make it. If the road is blocked, you will be going nowhere.

Unless LR is some kind of helicopter.
    "Follow the money!" - Deepthroat (AKA William Mark Felt Sr - Associate Director of the FBI)
    "We were born and raised in a summer haze." Adele 'Someone like you.'
    "Blowing your mind, 'cause you know what you'll find, when you're looking for things in the sky."
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
  • edinburgher
    edinburgher Posts: 13,463 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Managed to get out in the car today, a relief as we were running out of some supplies and it was the funeral of Mrs E's Gran (a wickedly funny woman who managed 90+). I had never been to a cremation before - a heartwarming and brief memorial with a stark view across the city where everything remains silent and covered in snow.

Took 4 shops before I could find bread and milk, things are close to panic stations for the shopping public. I know it's not a real emergency when you're having to buy brioche hotdog buns instead of Kingsmill, but I had never seen so many empty shelves. Luckily I managed to find a couple of pan loaves and was perfectly happy to reach the high shelf for organic milk for DD :)

Also managed to find original recipe Irn Bru in our local HB - picked up 12 500ml bottles :j That should keep me going for a good few months - looks like 2019 will be the year of Brexit and real Irn Bru running out...
  • beanielou
    Options
    Yah to real iron bru :j :j :j

• AlexLK
    AlexLK Posts: 6,125 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    ZTD: very true re. others not making it.

Quite a few roads around here are problematic at the moment.

Ed: Pleased you managed to get to the funeral. :) Not nice events but important to attend if possible, in my opinion.

Plenty of panic buying going on down here also.

Didn't know there are two Irn Bru recipes. What's the difference?
    2018 totals:
    Savings £11,200
    Mortgage Overpayments £5,500
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family