Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally

Options

Comments

• beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,565 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    Thanks Beanie

He wants us to drop him off and then leave straightaway, so we don't embarrass him in front of his flatmates :)

Par for the course.
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • Sun_Addict
    Sun_Addict Posts: 21,467 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    How annoying with the late payers - they've obviously had the goods/services so they should pay up straight away. We wouldn't go to Tesco for instance and say we'll pay you later. Mr SA used to get this a lot when he was self employed, I don't think they realise you have to live!

Well done on getting your jobs done :)

Will be trying the boiling water on the weeds that have suddenly sprung up in my drive so thanks for the tip :)
    I get knocked down but I get up again (Chumbawamba, Tubthumping)
  • HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options
    Thanks SA, late payers are annoying. The boiling water tip is a good one.
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 😱 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017 :T 🎉
    EMERGENCY FUND 1 = £50/£5,000. EMERGENCY FUND 2 = £10/£5,000.
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £0/£500. SEF = £1,400/£12,000 PREMIUM BONDS ME = £350. PREMIUM BONDS DH = £300.
    HOLIDAY MONEY = £0 TIME LEFT TO PAY OFF MORTGAGE = 5 YEARS 1 MONTHS
  • HairyHandofDartmoor
    HairyHandofDartmoor Posts: 13,960 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 13 September 2018 at 12:38PM
    Options
    I went for a long walk in the park first thing this morning. The fresh air did me good and it's a lovely sunny day. I've done 7990 steps, 33 floors and 54 active steps so far.

DS1 has been to the doctor today and has been referred for adult ADHD testing. He was also told he is on the cusp of autism. If he is diagnosed then maybe he will get some medication/help to enable him to start to achieve things in his life (like a job or a degree).

My plans for the rest of the day are fluid. I could clean some more doors, dust the bookcase in the bathroom, or try digging up the roots of the hedge that I cut down last summer, but which keeps trying to grow again.

DS1 has a sore throat, plus aches and pains, so I hope I don't catch his lurgy.
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £0/£500. SEF = £1,400/£12,000 PREMIUM BONDS ME = £350. PREMIUM BONDS DH = £300.
  • Willowtree222
    Options
    Fingers crossed you don't get the lurgy. Nothing worse!
    Glad you eventually got paid, it must have been frustrating while you waited. x
    September 2017 Debt = £25330

Starting afresh.

You can do anything if you put your mind to it. x
  • HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options
    Thanks Nicnak.

I just saw a news item which made me realise that I need to check if DS3 has had all the meningitis vaccines he needs before he goes to uni! I'm just waiting for the doctor to open so I can ring them. He goes in a week, panic! I should have thought of this months ago :(.
  • Willowtree222
    Options
    Don't panic. I am sure it will be ok.

quite often universities do the immunisations as well. That might be worth a check too. x
    September 2017 Debt = £25330

Starting afresh.

You can do anything if you put your mind to it. x
  • HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options
    Nicnak wrote: »
    Don't panic. I am sure it will be ok.

quite often universities do the immunisations as well. That might be worth a check too. x

Thanks Nicnak. It's okay, the doctor said he's already had all the meningitis vaccines he needs :). What a relief! I'm glad we checked though because now my mind is at rest.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    edited 13 September 2018 at 4:09PM
    Options
    I went for a long walk in the park first thing this morning. The fresh air did me good and it's a lovely sunny day. I've done 7990 steps, 33 floors and 54 active steps so far.

DS1 has been to the doctor today and has been referred for adult ADHD testing. He was also told he is on the cusp of autism. If he is diagnosed then maybe he will get some medication/help to enable him to start to achieve things in his life (like a job or a degree).

My plans for the rest of the day are fluid. I could clean some more doors, dust the bookcase in the bathroom, or try digging up the roots of the hedge that I cut down last summer, but which keeps trying to grow again.

DS1 has a sore throat, plus aches and pains, so I hope I don't catch his lurgy.

I'm glad your walk did you good, it sounds the perfect way to start the day:j.

Great to hear DS1 may be in line for the help he may need to enable him to have a more successful life:j. Let's hope he isn't waiting years for a referral.

There seem to be lots of people with colds and all sorts of lurgies at the moment. I was at the Doc's this morning for a blood test and the waiting room was full of people coughing and sneezing, most of them without covering their mouths:eek:. It's not healthy is it, going to the Doctor's?:rotfl:. I hope you manage to avoid DS1's lurgy especially as you were so ill with the flu so recently.

Our local newspaper does a sort of statistics page every day. I've always been a bit of a stat geek but don't always understand statistical analysis in some of the highbrow papers:o. Not that I read them very often. I love these in our local paper though, they cover a different topic each day and the writing is really interesting:T. Today they were covering changes in family size amongst other things and I was surprised to read that, according to Money Supermarket, it costs more than £79,000 to raise a boy and more than £108,000 to raise a girl to 18. The price difference puzzled me, it seems such a big difference:eek:
  • System
    System Posts: 178,102 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Have caught up with you HHOD , you seem to be keeping busy which is best at the minute. The meal you had with relatives sounded lovely. Like you I have been going to my parents for Sunday breakfast for the past 10 years or so, I will miss it when they are passed away. You have to make new memories to share with your DS as you did with your mum.

Will try the boiling water tip on the weeds at my front door. Glad the late payers finally came through. I hope you get to Pilates next week.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback