Options

Comments

• HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options
    beanielou wrote: »
    A wine box?

Hmm I didn't think of that Beanie...
    Sun_Addict wrote: »
    Look for the wine deals when the good ones are £5 a bottle - if you drink red I can recommend the Isla Negra from Mr T, usually selling at 2 for £9. If you drink white most Chilean Sauvignon Blanc is fab.

Anyway back to books, another weakness of mine, I enjoy ones that are recommended by the Richard and Judy book club as it makes me read books I might not have chosen otherwise. I've never been tempted by Kindle books, despite having the app on my iPad. You can't beat the smell and feel of a real book :)

I wanted to get red wine ideally but only wanted to spend about £3.50 per bottle. Is that impossible? :o. Mr T had a lot of expensive wine (I thought). Maybe Mr M or Ldl will have something cheaper (without tasting like lighter fluid)?
    Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 😱 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017 :T 🎉
    EMERGENCY FUND 1 = £50/£5,000. EMERGENCY FUND 2 = £10/£5,000.
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £0/£500. SEF = £1,400/£12,000 PREMIUM BONDS ME = £350. PREMIUM BONDS DH = £300.
    HOLIDAY MONEY = £0 TIME LEFT TO PAY OFF MORTGAGE = 5 YEARS 1 MONTHS
  • Sun_Addict
    Sun_Addict Posts: 21,299 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    In all honesty you're not going to get a decent wine for £3.50 a bottle, it will taste awful. Personally I don't pay more than £5 a bottle but that's on offer. You might be able to get a reasonable one for £4 from Lidl or Aldi but far better to have one bottle of decent wine than two rough ones.
    Christmas Savings 2024 £252.38/£600 April NSD:2 April Surveys £
  • HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options
    I thought that might be the case SA, I haven't bought wine for a while. I'll have to bite the bullet and spend a bit more.
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £0/£500. SEF = £1,400/£12,000 PREMIUM BONDS ME = £350. PREMIUM BONDS DH = £300.
  • redofromstart
    redofromstart Posts: 4,167 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    If you don't mind white then have a look at this: https://www.lidl.co.uk/en/Offers.htm?articleId=12541
    £3 only on Sat/Sunday this weekend.

Lidl do some reasonable reds in the £4-£5 range. I used to like the Chilean Merlot at £4 or so.
  • HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options
    I like Merlot so that could work for me. I'm not a fan of white generally and our friends prefer red too. Red has a stronger fuller flavour I think so I sip it more slowly and savour it. I knock white back too quickly as it has a lighter flavour :rotfl:.
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,308 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    Rose all the way!! :cool: :p
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options
    Better than white but not quite as nice as red, a good compromise though :).
  • HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options
    What a beautiful day it's been today:j.

I volunteered this morning. I was helping in the classroom all morning and when I was leaving the teacher said to me "Thank you so much, I don't know what I'd have done without you this morning". I was really pleased, it's so nice to be appreciated :D.

I walked home and then a bit later on met my niece in a cafe. She's handed in her notice, sold her house and is going abroad for three months with her DH. I'm very jealous. It was good to see her before she went. I chose the cafe and it had lovely views but was a long walk from the bus stop, so I've done 10,823 steps so far today :T.

I broke out my sandals today because of the weather, but my feet feel sore now because they need to harden up a bit :eek:.

So not much work done today (by me) but a very fulfilling day :).

I hope everyone has been enjoying the mini heatwave :).
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,308 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    Always lovely to be appreciated :)
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • jwil
    jwil Posts: 19,128 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Glad you had a good day, this sun is lovely!
    "If you can dream it, you can do it". Walt Disney
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure