Add your feedback on energy supplier Powershop

Options

Comments

• fewkeste
    fewkeste Posts: 534 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I've just sent the following message to Powershop

Hi, the projected costs shown on the Powershop Android app appear to indicate that from approximately August 2018, prices will be in the region of 30% higher. Can you confirm this please? Specifically, can you confirm if you intend to increase the standard tariff and if so by how much? When exactly will this suspected increase apply from?

Also, do you intend to modify the overall annual achievable discount that is possible by buying Powerpacks?

I would request that you be open and honest with me.

Regards

XXXXXXX

I'll let you know what they reply.
  • Z0rba-cheeks
    Options
    Fewkeste,
    I don't see the "30% higher from August" figure that you refer to.
    When did you switch to PS? Was it in July or August?
    If so is this your tariff going up after 12 months with PS?
  • fewkeste
    Options
    Fewkeste,
    I don't see the "30% higher from August" figure that you refer to.
    When did you switch to PS? Was it in July or August?
    If so is this your tariff going up after 12 months with PS?

My first day with Powershop was 19th April 2017. When I looked at my Android app and compared "monthly" charges from 2017 with projected "monthly" charges in 2018, then from about August 2018 the figures are about 30% higher.

I'm not on a fixed or guaranteed rate or an Easy Saver Promise - I'm on the Standard Variable Tariff.

Also, Powershop have quickly got back to me with the following message:

"Thanks for your message. I promise to be open and honest. No one in the pricing team knows anything about this price increase you speak of. If prices do increase, we will all be informed. If standard prices do change, so will the easysaver promise and powerpacks.

I hope this answers your question. Can I explain anything further?

Shamim Khaliq

Thanks
    The Powershop Crew"

So, at the customer interface level there appears to be no knowledge of an impending price increase!

Have they got back to you yet?
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    With even the "future pack" discounts now being based on projected usage (e.g. myself being offered peanuts as usage has been low, everyone getting varying amounts rather than the standard 5 x £10) - maybe it's a good thing to have high projected usage - you can stock up when good discounts are in!

When they update the predictions you'll just be further infront than they intended you to be.
  • Z0rba-cheeks
    Z0rba-cheeks Posts: 37 Forumite
    edited 16 March 2018 at 6:47PM
    Options
    I re-sent the question earlier today as I had had no response...

and here is the reply to my question on their "Estimates":

Hope you are sitting down.....
    Thank you for your message.
    That's a very interesting question.
    Why would an electricity company predict you'll use more electricity next year than the last?
    It has nothing to do with tariffs increasing, because the graph is in units not pounds. I can only hypothesise that this is an artefact of their prediction algorithms.
    I don't maintain my electrical equipment. Perhaps it is becoming more inefficient?
    Perhaps each winter is colder than the last?

I wish I could help you more.

I do not believe in this "tariffs will increase dramatically" scare, know nothing about it, but that does not mean you are not right.
    It makes sense that as fossil fuels run out, power prices will increase. But we at Powershop are not banking on this.

Shamim

Thanks
    The Powershop Crew

So the "interesting question" was not answered.....!
    I have emailed them back as follows:
    "Hi Shamim,

Which graph are you referring to?

The figures I provided are from the Powershop Android App and are in £'s not Units or kWh.

I was not attempting to raise any scare regarding Tariff increases, merely asking the question "Why are these estimated figures significantly higher?"

These are Powershop estimates that Powershop are sharing with me, I'm merely asking what is the rationale and logic behind the estimates so that I can understand why they are significantly higher.

I await your response."

NOTE: The same person, Shamim, appears to have answered both of us

This should be interesting!:beer:
  • fewkeste
    Options
    Well Shamin certainly seems to be a bit of a Philosopher it would appear;)

It is just possible that they are not privvy to plans made by senior management to introduce a price increase later in the year.

Equally of course it could just be a mathematical error in Powershop's usage and bill prediction systems - we shall see.
  • Z0rba-cheeks
    Options
    The response......
    Good Evening Zorba,

Thanks for your reply.

I apologise if this previous response was confusing.

Simply, all estimations that you see on your online account are based on annual averages, along with seasonal fluctuations.
    None of the figures you see are not exact. As we get closer to those months, and as we gain more readings from you, building up a better idea of your usage, you'll find that your estimates will adjust to be in line with your usage.

Despite any estimations that you see on your Powershop account, your monthly bills will always be based on usage given that we receive regular readings. Your bills will show your opening and closing readings for that billing cycle and will show your exact usage.

I hope this helps. If you have any further questions or anything else we can help with, please don't hesitate to get in touch.

kind regards Hannah

Thanks
    The Powershop Crew

"None of the figures you see are not exact"
    ??????

Zut Alors!

"Ze Double Negative" Srikes!

So the plain answer is,
    "The figures are "best guestimates" based upon a sh*t load of data, the number of readings that I provided and an algorithm which churns out a result with a margin of error.

Simple!
    The answer is..............42!

I can live with that, providing the figures are on the pessimistic side - then I feel good as the date gets closer and the estimate gets lower....

Happy Powershop(ing)....
  • griffb
    griffb Posts: 168 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I have also noticed a large jump in the predicted cost from month 13 onwards. Could it simply be that after 12 months the PS estimates do not include potential savings from powerpacks?
    Image already added
  • fewkeste
    Options
    griffb wrote: »
    Could it simply be that after 12 months the PS estimates do not include potential savings from powerpacks?
    Image already added

I'm not convinced by this theory.

I joined PS in April 2017 but I only see increases of about 30% in estimated 'monthly' cost on the Android app from August 2018 onwards compared to the August 2017 cost. I only noticed it after checking the app when I read ZOrba-cheeks' post.

I normally only use the website (where of course you don't get to see the estimated and past monthly costs) just green squares for covered days.
  • Z0rba-cheeks
    Options
    I agree, there is no "conspiracy theory", it's just that the further ahead the estimate the less accuracy there is.

At some point they will be factoring in a tariff increase as prices will rise over time.....

BTW if you aren't on a fixed Gas deal get on one now because the wholesale price is still high and it will have a knock-on effect on the prices that suppliers charge!

A final word of wisdom - if you decide to try the new Switching service that the new switching service, Labrador, offer, be very careful as the default option is "Automatically switch suppliers without my approval"........
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback