PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Preparing for Winter V

Options

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Good on you, Mar.
    I can't remember the last time I saw a pair of home knit socks.

Last time I did was around 1954, my late Mum (also a weegie) taught me how to knit in 1947, and one of our seemingly never ending tasks was knitting sock for my two horny-hooved brothers They seemed to go through socks at an alarming rate. I love knitting but the idea of knitting a pair of socks is just a no-no to me I think I would rather eat my own liver to be honest :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

JackieO x
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Options
    Sock knitting is huge nowadays Jackie, better wool and better patterns. It's all the rage in the knitting groups and forums :)
  • dreaming
    dreaming Posts: 1,139 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    mardatha wrote: »
    Sock knitting is huge nowadays Jackie, better wool and better patterns. It's all the rage in the knitting groups and forums :)

I decided I wanted to learn to knit socks a couple of years ago so got the wool/needles/pattern etc. and so far have knitted 1 sock - not 1 pair, just 1 sock. I then got sidetracked into knitting Scandi-style Xmas baubles (book by Arne and Carlos) which my daughter wanted for her Xmas tree, and I never knitted any more for myself. I may try the other sock this autumn unless a new thing comes along.
  • THIRZAH
    THIRZAH Posts: 1,465 Forumite
    Options
    I'm nearly half way through my fourth pair of socks intended as Christmas presents for the family. Only one more pair to do after these -for SIL-but he's a size 11.
  • carrielovesfanta
    carrielovesfanta Posts: 2,978 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 13 August 2018 at 6:23PM
    Options

It was MSE'er Foxgloves who put me onto knitting socks. I've even been making some to sell. Hubs and I will be lovely and warm :)

I found it quite straightforward. I'm an avid crocheter but I have never really knitted. My mother in law bought me a book by Ann Budd and I just followed that. Winwick mum is very popular - you can search for her book online.
    LBM 11/06/2010: DFD 30/04/2013
    Total repaid: £10,490.31
    Student loan repaid: 01/07/2019
    SAVINGS: £20,000
    Car final lump sum: £6113/£6113
  • Primrose
    Primrose Posts: 10,621 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    dreaming wrote: »
    I decided I wanted to learn to knit socks a couple of years ago so got the wool/needles/pattern etc. and so far have knitted 1 sock - not 1 pair, just 1 sock. I then got sidetracked into knitting Scandi-style Xmas baubles (book by Arne and Carlos) which my daughter wanted for her Xmas tree, and I never knitted any more for myself. I may try the other sock this autumn unless a new thing comes along.

Oh well, at least you will still be adequately equipped when, as they say in our family, somebody is "mouthing off" about something and we all exclaim "oh do put a sock in it,"
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Options
    Winwick mum has a brilliant group on facebook. One Sockalong group and one nattery/chatty group. The Sockalongers can reach anybody how to knit socks :D
  • Laura_Elsewhere
    Options
    I can't think what i did before I learnt to knit socks in my 30s... Looking back I spent a lot of money buying wool socks, and a lot of time complaining about being unable to buy wool socks, and darning the wool socks I still had...!

Now I never travel by train without a sock to knit. People come up to me when I'm waiting on a platform sitting kitting and gazing around me, and tell me they were having a rotten day but feel much calmer now and the train companies should pay me to sit there and knit to soothe people...! It's definitely soothing to me, and I don't have to look much, so I can listen to an audio book and gaze out of the train windows...
    When I wake early, I often sit up and knit a bit of sock. It's a nice way to start the day, clearing my mind. Or if I wake in the middle of the night, I can knit for a while and then go back to sleep...

I suppose it's a bit like meditation...
    2024: 66 coupons
    second-hand acquisitions (no coupons): c.5 yards rich-red heavy linen fabric, free; c.3 yards cream linen, eBay;
    2024 needlework (reverse-coupons): 3:i:24 sleep-mask (0); 12:i:2024 red linen pinafore dress (7); *Reverse-couponing*: 7 coupons

........................................................................................................................................................................2023 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 66 coupons for 2023 - Jan 27th jeans 6 coupons; February 25th, 2 pairs plimsoles 2x5 coupons; March a second pair of jeans 6 coupons, 300g of wool for slipover 6 coupons, 8 metres linen for undies, 0 coupons as present; leather lace-up shoes 5 coupons; May blue t-shirt 5 coupons, two pairs of shorts-knickers 4 coupons each; December grey/red tartan dress 7 coupons, four pairs knickers 4x2 coupons, pyjamas to wear as blouse and knickers, 5 and 2 coupons = -1 coupons left for 2023..2021 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 66 coupons for 2021TotalRem'g as of Oct 5th 43.5..2020 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: Calculations not done yet - started with 74.5 coupons (66+8.5 from 2019)..2019 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 8.5 coupons left out of 66
  • dreaming
    dreaming Posts: 1,139 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Winwick mum has a brilliant group on facebook. One Sockalong group and one nattery/chatty group. The Sockalongers can reach anybody how to knit socks :D

Yes it was Winwick Mum's pattern I followed and found it relatively easy, but unfortunately I have a bit of a butterfly mind with certain things and once I "learn" the new thing I want to move on to the next. Other stuff I can be very dogged about but it tends to be if I don't understand something I don't like to give up until I have researched it. I will, at some point, make the other sock, and hopefully more but I rarely wear socks myself as I seem to be very warm-blooded and pad around barefoot even in winter - and I am quite frugal with the central heating too so some of my visitors do find my house a bit chilly. Maybe I should knit the socks for them to wear when they visit?
  • fuddle
    fuddle Posts: 6,823 Forumite
    Options
    Mar you put me on to Winwick Mum. I can now knit socks... kitchener stitch is still a mystery but I got there by hook or by crook. I'm back to crochet socks. They aren't the same but I've found a pattern with a heel at least.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback