Add your feedback on energy supplier Powershop

Options

Comments

• soberton
    soberton Posts: 14 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    The problem for PS is that we have already purchased PowerPacks up until January, by October we will have purchased FuturePacks up until March. However, they have to give 6 weeks notice of a tariff increase so the calculations will be done (by us) in September. This is relatively simple, any new tariff will have to be discounted using discounts we already have purchased - we will just look at the new tariff, use the discounts we have and see what that looks like against other providers. If it doesn't appear to be the best tariff available in our respective areas then we will be voting with our feet in September / October. If it is the intention of PS to increase what we pay beyond their competition then they know we will leave - they will give us no other option and, fortunately, the choice is theirs - over to PS and I am looking forward to hearing about the new tariff in September.
  • fewkeste
    fewkeste Posts: 534 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 12 August 2018 at 7:34PM
    Options
    soberton wrote: »
    The problem for PS is that we have already purchased PowerPacks up until January, by October we will have purchased FuturePacks up until March.

Quite correct - we have already purchased Future Packs - Note, Future Packs only though. They have other ways of influencing the total discount achievable. They can boost the amount of discounted credit in our 'credit pots' by releasing Simple Savers and Special Packs, Jumbos etc. that when combined with our already purchased Future Packs, bring the overall average achieved discount to 28.5% or greater.

I hope I'm wrong but I don't think they will.

I don't think Top Shopper rate will actually be achieved but I hope I'm wrong.

The OneSelect Tariff I found that was a fraction cheaper than the Baseline Top Shopper rate (without the angst of will I or won't I be able to buy sufficient discounted Powerpacks to make or better Top Shopper rate?) is starting to look attractive.;)
  • soberton
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Because of the FuturePack discount now being some 5 months (or is it 6) in advance, the problem is still with PS. AS SOON AS WE BELIEVE THEY ARE NOT OFFERING THE BEST TARIFF IN OUR AREA THEN WE WILL VOTE WITH OUR FEET - it is their problem not ours. If they choose to offer one off packs in October to keep us then we stay, in January / February we will need them again - it is always their problem.
  • fewkeste
    Options
    Agreed, and I guess PS will need to spell out sooner rather than later how they are going to achieve the discount levels to achieve the Top Shopper rate, given they have already said they intend to move us onto a Baseline Tariff.

Otherwise people with doubts will start to jump ship:D
  • cc120
    cc120 Posts: 121 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    fewkeste wrote: »
    I have been doing some calculations to understand how the Top Shopper rate can be achieved when/if I am moved onto the 'Baseline Tariff' This is likely to happen soon to all PS customers who have been with the company for a year or more.

According to my calculations I will need to achieve an average saving over the whole year of 28.5%:eek:

To achieve this the discount level and value amount of discounted Powerpacks will have to massively increase from the levels I am currently offered. I am concerned that this Top Shopper rate may not actually be achievable.

Below is a message I have sent to PS.

Hi, in preparation for when you intend to move me onto the Baseline Tariff, in July I obtained a quote as a new customer consuming 8000kWh per year using 40% E7. The quote I received gave a Baseline annual figure of £1345.83, a first year promise of £1301.59 and a Top Shopper rate of £962.04.

This quote suggests from the Baseline price of £1345.83 (no discount powerpacks purchased) I can achieve the Top Shopper rate of £962.04 by buying all the Powerpacks available.

That is equivalent to an overall annual discount of 28.5%.

I calculated this by £1345.83 - £962.04 = £383.79. £383.79/1345.83 X 100 = 28.516%.

Are you seriously suggesting to me I will be able to achieve an average discount over the whole year of 28.5% by buying all the Powerpacks when I move to the Baseline Tariff?

Quite simply - I don't believe the discount figures - sorry!

Can you reassure me that Powerpacks of sufficiently high discount will be available in sufficiently high monetary value amounts that I could achieve an AVERAGE discount of 28.5% over the whole year? At present I do not believe your claims!

I have to tell you I am sceptical of your claims but I am willing to be persuaded if I receive sufficient written reassurance that the kind of discounts the quote suggests can be achieved, will definitely be possible over the year.

In order to achieve an annual average discount of 28.5%, Powerpacks will have to start appearing at much higher discounts and for much greater amounts. When would this change in the profile of Powerpacks being made available start?

It will be interesting to see what reply I get.

I suppose the proof of the pudding is to ask what overall discounts current Baseline Tariff customers achieve.

Do any new customers currently on Baseline Tariff achieve an overall bill discount of 28.5% or more at present?

Perhaps you can check your monthly bills and see what the £ discount per month you have achieved and express that as a % of the undiscounted bill. i.e. £ discounted / £ discount + discounted bill amount X 100.

If the Top Shopper rate is truly achievable when on Baseline Tariff then on average you should see a 28.5% discount.
    Have you received a reply from Powershop yet fewkeste?
  • Senior_helper
    Senior_helper Posts: 7 Forumite
    edited 13 August 2018 at 3:52PM
    Options
    I have been a Powershop customer since June 2017 and found that their system has suited me. Initially, they had a helpful 0800 service line and I was given all the tariff details so I could compare rates. The method of buying power takes some getting used to but over 12 months I have saved £100 on the standard rate and only bought special saver powerpacks. In my flat the usage for electric- only supply ( I don't have gas) cost c. £360.

They have not asked me to have a smart meter fitted.
    I do give a meter reading every 2 weeks although it s not compulsory.
    I pay by credit card so plan to spend around the day which gives me 6 weeks until the payment is actually made.
    Customer services have been helpful but I've seldom needed to call.
    I am on a economy 7 meter which has been no problem.
    It does make me more aware of the energy I am using and the trends of different seasons.
    Downsides:
    I have seen some adverse comments re Powershop especially on trust pilot. I was made aware by P/S staff!
    I have the time to do the readings etc. though once you get the hang it is quick.
    They have informed me that the tariff may change soon but so far there have been no rises in 14 months. Staff said that Npower were giving them time to get established with lower rates.
    Sorry to be so long but most comments seemed to not be from customers.
  • cc120
    cc120 Posts: 121 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have been a Powershop customer since June 2017 and found that their system has suited me. Initially, they had a helpful 0800 service line and I was given all the tariff details so I could compare rates. The method of buying power takes some getting used to but over 12 months I have saved £100 on the standard rate and only bought special saver powerpacks. In my flat the usage for electric- only supply ( I don't have gas) cost c. £360.

They have not asked me to have a smart meter fitted.
    I do give a meter reading every 2 weeks although it s not compulsory.
    I pay by credit card so plan to spend around the day which gives me 6 weeks until the payment is actually made.
    Customer services have been helpful but I've seldom needed to call.
    I am on a economy 7 meter which has been no problem.
    It does make me more aware of the energy I am using and the trends of different seasons.
    Downsides:
    I have seen some adverse comments re Powershop especially on trust pilot. I was made aware by P/S staff!
    I have the time to do the readings etc. though once you get the hang it is quick.
    They have informed me that the tariff may change soon but so far there have been no rises in 14 months. Staff said that Npower were giving them time to get established with lower rates.
    Sorry to be so long but most comments seemed to not be from customers.

I know it's not like for like, but could you let me know how much the cost of your annual electricity was with your previous supplier and how much it has been with Powershop please?
  • fewkeste
    Options
    Here is the reply I got from Powershop

Good afternoon XXXX.

Once you are switched the Baseline Tariff, the amount you will be able to achieve will be the Top Shopper Rate, and so if you do purchase all the Powerpacks to cover your usage you will again achieve the lowest possible rate. As the difference between the Baseline and Top Shopper is higher than currently it is between Standard and Easy Saver rates, you will notice that the discounts offered will be higher than currently.

Kind regards, Ryan

Thanks
    The Powershop Crew

So, PS are indicating discounts will be higher than at present - let's hope so.
  • soberton
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Again, the issue isn't what PS call it or how big is the discount, how much is the standing charge or the unit cost, the issue is how it compares to the best tariff available to me in my area. All will become clear once we have the new tariff and understand how PS will increase the discount on the PowerPacks that we have already purchased.
  • fewkeste
    Options
    soberton wrote: »
    .....and understand how PS will increase the discount on the PowerPacks that we have already purchased.

Good point - they may not - they may introduce Special Packs with discounts such that the overall discount ends up circa 28.5%. Why not send them a message asking that question? - it's a fair question to ask.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback