NST December: Debt Destruction December

Options
apple_muncher
apple_muncher Posts: 14,711 Forumite
First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! First Post Name Dropper
edited 6 December 2017 at 10:31AM in Debt-free wannabe challenges
[FONT=&quot]:xmassmile
[/FONT][FONT=&quot]:xmastree:D[/FONT][FONT=&quot]ebt Destruction December 2017 :xmastree:
[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Clear Up, Clean Up and Take Control[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]You CAN do it[/FONT]
:rudolf:
[FONT=&quot]

2017 is coming to an end - how has this year been for you? December is a perfect time to make plans, to start as you mean to go on and to avoid the traditional failings of January's "resolution" chaos. The year ahead has to be clear in your head, what you want and how you will go about it – this ensures you make progress.

It's time to clear up those niggling feelings of fear and face your debts, get out those envelopes that have been shoved into drawers, clean up the loose ends and call your CC companies and know where you are at and what you owe. Take control of your life.

It's so important that you do this for yourself and do it now. Christmas is often a very expensive time of year and what better time and place to start pulling things together than with us...we are a group of people who are supporting each other to debt freedom. We call ourselves Turtles – find out why here: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5048897[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot](look at post #2)

These are the non-negotiable rules to follow:[/FONT]
  1. [FONT=&quot]This Challenge runs from December 1st to December 31st.[/FONT]
  2. [FONT=&quot]You will aim for 15 NSD's[/FONT][FONT=&quot]. Any spend on any item will class as a spend day. You have 16 days for spending - use them wisely. An NSD will not be spoiled by purchasing yellow sticker products only or medication, fuel or paying for regular children's activities (when planned in advance and the monies put aside in an envelope). This month you will also keep an NSD if you only buy items for the food bank or donate to charity.[/FONT]
  3. [FONT=&quot]You will pay to your debt/savings first[/FONT][FONT=&quot]. And live off the rest. [/FONT]
  4. [FONT=&quot]You will drop one Christmas outing/party[/FONT][FONT=&quot] whether with work or people you don't really like. Why waste your money? I am not going to a work do at all![/FONT]
  5. [FONT=&quot]You will take your lunch to work every single day that you are there. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]At home? Out and about? You will still plan a ‘packed lunch’ for yourself.[/FONT][FONT=&quot] No exceptions. You will not darken the doors of cafeterias, coffee shops, take away emporia…[/FONT]
  6. [FONT=&quot]You will not go to any sales in the month of DDD[/FONT][FONT=&quot]. Unless you have a planned budget and have been saving for a specific item PLEASE do not go to the Boxing Day Sales. It is too much temptation to buy tat you really don’t need. STAY AT HOME!!![/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
Debt destruction: to destroy your debt (or mortgage), you need a plan. When is your Debt Free Date (DFD)? How much do you need to pay each month to get there? Have you done a Statement of Affairs (SOA)? What are your weaknesses? And strengths? Set your budget for December NOW (see below).

Exterminate one bad habit from your life for the first 10 days. This is NOT about food. I shall be renouncing a particular game I play on my tablet that just sucks me in and takes hours of my time. There will be other things for later in the month.

Clear up, clean up and take control. Clear some space in your surroundings by removing 31 items this month – to charity, to recyc, to give to others. Clean up your way of talking to yourself – clean away the negative talk and be kind and positive to yourself. Let yourself sparkle. Take control of your finances, your time, your habits, and your health.

Explore your local area – get out and walk, go along those footpaths you have never been up before. Going away? Venture out and be observant. Appreciate the landscape.

Mental health. To continue a recent turtle theme. Do something every day this month that makes you feel good: gym, reading, time with family, favourite tv programme, meditation, building a snowman. NOT spending, of course!! Write down 4 gratitudes each day.

Budget
EVERYTHING before you start the month. (Food, gifts, bills, travel, activities, annual stuff…) Get a notebook and write down everything you will be doing in December. (And then use the notebook to record each and every spend for the month.) This budget is to be set in stone – you really do not need those Christmas promotions. Is there an expectation that you will travel more, contribute with gifts/food/drink? Can you make something? Batch cook now. Bake some goodies so that [FONT=&quot]you avoid massive tubs of sweets, fancy biscuits in tins and expensive cakes. Cookie dough can be frozen raw and then cooked in a few minutes when required. Batch cooking doesn’t have to be 24 meals in one go – even doubling up, or ensuring you have leftovers for tomorrow’s lunch is a good thing.[/FONT]

Evaluate
the year you have had: what was good, and what was not so good. What did you do well? What was beyond your control? Now look ahead and plan 5 things to go for in 2018.

Remember
that this is a difficult time for many. Allocate £5 of your food budget to spend on food bank items. Check what they need, get the kids involved, or do it online if that is the only way for you. This is on top of your usual giving this month. Get in the habit of doing good deeds for others.
[FONT=&quot]
I can’t say this won’t be hard but we are all here to be encouraging and everyone will help you. So please, stop faffing about, take responsibility and give me your name![/FONT]
[FONT=&quot](Please do not re-post the entire thread as it makes it too long.)[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]:D But do post every day. :D[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]

[/FONT]

[purplesignup][/purplesignup]
NST March lion #8; NSD ; MFW9/3/23 Whoop Whoop!!!

Comments

• apple_muncher
    apple_muncher Posts: 14,711 Forumite
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! First Post Name Dropper
    edited 7 December 2017 at 8:17AM
    Options
    DDD Contenders

1 apple muncher
    2 Fmess
    3 DancingDragons
    4 mothernerd
    5 Timetopullmysocksup
    6 Toni'sfriend
    7 Sashanut
    8 Lauralozzle (Mrs)
    9 DawnW
    10 DebtFreeDuo
    11 greent
    12 dolly84
    13 misstara
    14 Kerry Woman₣
    15 ilovetea
    16 SavvySaver17
    17 f0xh0les
    18 Missu
    19 BadBookKeeper
    20 Eager_Elephant
    21 Munchin
    22 Florence J
    23 worklifebalance
    24 Calling14
    25 Tabithabooboo
    26 Dottydaisy
    27 FurryBeastOz
    28 Laurenh1
    29 bizzie
    30 clippy_girl
    31 cybertortoise
    32 thriftylass
    33 mummylewis
    34 Honister
    NST March lion #8; NSD ; MFW9/3/23 Whoop Whoop!!!
  • Fmess
    Fmess Posts: 2,920 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Me please Apple :)
    LBM = 07/09/13 Debt = £13339 (100% cleared)
    New roof and car £8557/£19003 New kitchen £396/£5039 Credit card Paid Student loan Paid
  • DancingDragons
    Options
    Thanks for doing this apple muncher. There are some serious challenges in there for me, but I will do my best :D Please count me in.
    Debt Free April 2019:j to July 2019 :( NEW WTC:eek:1,194
  • mothernerd
    mothernerd Posts: 4,827 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Love it, love it, love it. Thanks apple, sign me up please. I am away from the 4th to the 9th of December M~F, but hopefully that will not involve much spending.
    My mission in life is not only to survive,but to thrive and to do so with some Passion, some Compassion, some Humour and some Style.
    NST SEP No 1 No Debt No mortgage
  • Timetopullmysocksup
    Options
    meeeeee pleeeeeease
  • Toni'sfriend
    Options
    I'm on holiday first two weeks but that's no excuse to at least embrace the spirit of the challenge. Can I join, please?
    Have adventures. laugh a lot and always be kind.
  • sashanut
    sashanut Posts: 3,252 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Hi all :j

Please can I sign up?? Looks awesome....
    New start JAN15 - NOT BUYING IT 2015 :eek:. Long haul DFW #145 : 2011 DEBTBUSTING : £5500 OD GONE, £2000 OD - GONE £93,610.30 cc & loan debt - GONE 27.6.14 FINALLY DEBT & MORTGAGE FREE :happyhear
  • Lauralozzle
    Options
    I'm in. I missed November because of the wedding but I'm ready and rearing to go for December!
    February Grocery Budget: £190.75/£350.00
    NST no. NSD 4/15
  • DawnW
    DawnW Posts: 7,440 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Count me in too please :)
  • DebtFreeDuo
    DebtFreeDuo Posts: 1,021 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Absolutely LOVE it apple muncher, glad we could help with the e's. Could you add me in please, I'm feeling ready for December, I have lots of challenges but those you have listed work perfectly for what I am hoping to achieve.
    Change the way you see things and the things you see will change
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport