Haggle with Virgin - our new guide

Options

Comments

• hr100
    hr100 Posts: 153 Forumite
    Options
    Hi

Yes have put cancellation in and now being cut off tomorrow as they still not budging on what I dont think is a fair deal
  • ohit
    ohit Posts: 370 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Anyone with latest insight into current round of offers and discount?

I am just after broadband. Currently on 200mbps speed for £40/month and can either give 30 days notice to cancel or haggle for cheaper price.
    I may be happy with the slowest speed (50mbps) but they have only offered that at £27/month (12month contract).
    Their top 500mbps broadband package is not released as broadband-only yet.
  • Matt_OX4
    Matt_OX4 Posts: 86 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Was on the £29 for basic TV, 100mb fibre and phone line (never rvrn plugged in a phone) - was initially offered £44, said I wanted to cancel, passed to retentions (25min wait) and was offered £31/month.

Could probably have pushed a bit harder but am happy with the service so said yes.
  • Sinclair2000
    Options
    Moving house meant that I would have to speak to Virgin Media. Using MSE I could see better deals saving me c.£15 a month. VM initially stated that they could only offer a new package at £50 a month, nearly £20 more that I was currently paying. Only when I said that I would therefore need to cancel and change supplier did the 'loyalty ' offer emerge. Although I accepted this and agreed the move, it has been an absolute disaster in terms of being a smooth fault free process. After three months and three formal complaints for billing errors, loss of service and failure to port my phone number and numerous calls to a largely inept customer service function it was agreed to that I could cancel the contract. Confirmation by email from VM and equipment returned. Two weeks later I receive a bill for a service that I no longer have - including the loyalty discout! Personally I would stay clear of Virgin Media if possible.
  • Sinclair2000
    Options
    Mother in law recently moved into sheltered accommodation and needed to transfer her phone to the new property. Over 80 and hard if hearing so asked if I could help and speak to VM on her behalf. Long story on that experience (not good). She was paying for a TV and phone package, but did not actually have a VM box and was only using freeview. Not sure how this came about. Anyway, VM wanted to charge £50 a month, more that she was currently paying. My point is this - I struggle to see how the interests of elderly customer in the same position as my mother in law would be "looked after" by VM. Haggling with VM is not easy and they seem to be entirely focused on what benefits VM rather than the needs of their customers. I wonder how often it is the elderly and possibly least able to haggle who are disadvantaged by the obstacle course presented to them by customer service functions that have such a short term view of what customer satisfaction really means. Profiteering at the expense of those who may be least able to afford it seems wrong at every level.
  • charlies_mum
    charlies_mum Posts: 8,118 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Just coming to the end of our contract with Virgin and it's going up £20 a month. Phoned several times to try to haggle but they are adamant that my new deal is £99.50 per month with the carrot that we now get sky sports.

The only sport we watch is F1 and that's not on Sky Sports

Anyone have any advice on how to get a reduction ? I've threatened them with leaving and going to Sky but it's not working.
    You're only young once, but you can be immature forever :D
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Don’t threaten them with leaving. Leave, put in your cancellation and sit and wait for the phone to ring.
  • Celticyo
    Celticyo Posts: 13 Forumite
    Options
    I was wondering if I could get people's thoughts on this offer.

With VM now for the 3rd year.
    Currently have
    100mb BB
    Most basic TV package
    Basic line rental with weekend calls-Never use landline, only have it as seems to keep cost down.

Had been paying £31 a month on a 12 month contract, now coming up to term.

Initially quoted £51 for same deal on another 12 month contract first 2 times I phoned.

Last call managed to beat them down to £44. Tried quoting talk talk ect but they were v blase.

Would like to aim for sub £40-Has anyone managed this with a similar package, or any tips?

Thanks,
    James
  • Legskeattch
    Options
    I have called this afternoon to get my current deal cheaper:

£60.50
    Full House TV (Which includes BT Sport)
    200mb Broadband
    Cheapest home phone package.

On August 1st this is going to go up to £79 on 2nd August 2019.

The "best" they could offer was £64.

I left it by saying I will have to search around and get back to them.

New customers would pay £62 and get a Lenovo Smart screen for the same package but they offered me £64.

Whats my tactic?
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Tactic is either to wait or leave.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts