Money Moral Dilemma: Should we claim £300 for a train delay when we still enjoyed the journey?

Options
This week's MoneySaver who wants advice asks...
My partner and I took a sleeper train to Scotland recently, a 12-hour journey which was delayed by 90 minutes. Under Delay Repay rules that entitles us to full compensation for a single fare - £300 for two people. Yet for an overnight journey the delay wasn't massive, plus we enjoyed the trip - it feels unfair to pay nothing. Should we claim?

Unfortunately the MSE team can't always answer money moral dilemma questions as contributions are often emailed in or suggested in person. They are intended to be enjoyed as a point of debate and discussed at face value.

:idea: If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply!

:huh: Got a Money Moral Dilemma of your own? [URL="mailto: mmd@moneysavingexpert.com"]Suggest an MMD[/URL].
[purplesignup][/purplesignup]

Comments

• General_Grant
    Options
    Do whatever you feel comfortable doing.

Not claiming isn't fraud or depriving anyone else of anything so no MORAL dilemma.
  • tacpot12
    tacpot12 Posts: 7,972 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I think I would claim, because the compensation paid will be tracked an ultimately this will form the business case for further investment in the rail infrastructure. You can always spend the money on taking another trip with the same operator.
    The comments I post are my personal opinion. While I try to check everything is correct before posting, I can and do make mistakes, so always try to check official information sources before relying on my posts.
  • pkempc
    pkempc Posts: 125 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    Yes claim and then donate the money to charity. Wyatt Wendells is currently cycling around the UK to raise money and awareness for MIND. Thanks.
    Assume 1st – then check the facts!
  • tacpot12
    tacpot12 Posts: 7,972 Forumite
    Options
    The Railway Benefit Fund would be another option if you want to donate the compensation to a charity: https://www.railwaybenefitfund.org.uk/
    The comments I post are my personal opinion. While I try to check everything is correct before posting, I can and do make mistakes, so always try to check official information sources before relying on my posts.
  • pelir
    Options
    Be aware that the railway operator, Caledonian Sleepers, will claim and get a refund on your behalf from Network Rail, regardless whether or not you claim what you are entitled to.
    So will you leave the money with them or use it as you wish?
  • FloraandFauna
    Options
    Yes, I would. Compensation is for two reasons - one is to provide you with the service you should have had or your money back, and the other is to make sure train companies have every financial reason to make trains run on time.

If there weren't penalties - and/or a substantial amount of those penalties were not claimed - the operator has less incentive to improve as they are keeping the money regardless.
    Was MFW, now Early Retirement Wannabee... Mortgage: still going down. Pensions: still going up.
  • martin.cat
    Options
    100% claim it back
    Network Rail have to compensate the train companies for infrastructure delays
    If you don’t claim back that money it is added to the train companies bottom line.
    For me this is morally wrong and the train companies shouldn’t be profiting. The money should be reinvested to make the railway better
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    No. Absoutely not. It's about doing what you feel is morally right. I certainly wouldn't be claiming. It's not about the company and what they would do, think etc., it's about your actions. You work according to your own moral compass.
  • REJP
    REJP Posts: 325 Forumite
    Options
    Did the delay cost you any business or lose you money? If so, claim.
    If not, remember that you were not the only people on the train, and all might claim the £300.
    That is a lot of money in delay payments.
    Now, where do you think the money to pay delay claims comes from? Yes, increased fares all round. So you may gain in the short term but lose out by paying higher fares for different future journeys.
    Personally, I would not claim if not inconvenienced.
  • REJP
    REJP Posts: 325 Forumite
    Options
    The comment that Caledonian Sleepers will get the money from Network Rail is only correct if the rail infrastructure was faulty. If the delay was due to late crew arrivals or engine problems, that is nothing to do with Network Rail. There is not enough information to tell what the delay was caused by.
    Remember that in the end whoever pays, costs of compensation come from increasing fares.
    The original poster did not state there was inconvenience, rather it was said the journey was enjoyable.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure