Forum Home» Public Transport & Cycling

Money Moral Dilemma: Should we claim £300 for a train delay when we still enjoyed the journey?

New Post Advanced Search

Money Moral Dilemma: Should we claim £300 for a train delay when we still enjoyed the journey?

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Public Transport & Cycling
45 replies 20.2K views
MSE_KelvinMSE_Kelvin MSE Staff
133 posts
10 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper Newshound!
MSE Staff
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Public Transport & Cycling
This week's MoneySaver who wants advice asks...
My partner and I took a sleeper train to Scotland recently, a 12-hour journey which was delayed by 90 minutes. Under Delay Repay rules that entitles us to full compensation for a single fare - £300 for two people. Yet for an overnight journey the delay wasn't massive, plus we enjoyed the trip - it feels unfair to pay nothing. Should we claim?

Unfortunately the MSE team can't always answer money moral dilemma questions as contributions are often emailed in or suggested in person. They are intended to be enjoyed as a point of debate and discussed at face value.

:idea: If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply!

:huh: Got a Money Moral Dilemma of your own? [URL="mailto: mmd@moneysavingexpert.com"]Suggest an MMD[/URL].
[purplesignup][/purplesignup]

Replies

• General_GrantGeneral_Grant Forumite
    2.3K posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Do whatever you feel comfortable doing.

Not claiming isn't fraud or depriving anyone else of anything so no MORAL dilemma.
  • tacpot12tacpot12 Forumite
    3.5K posts
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think I would claim, because the compensation paid will be tracked an ultimately this will form the business case for further investment in the rail infrastructure. You can always spend the money on taking another trip with the same operator.
    The comments I post are my personal opinion. While I try to check everything is correct before posting, I can and do make mistakes, so always check official information sources before relying on my posts.
  • pkempcpkempc Forumite
    124 posts
    Home Insurance Hacker!
    Yes claim and then donate the money to charity. Wyatt Wendells is currently cycling around the UK to raise money and awareness for MIND. Thanks.
    Assume 1st – then check the facts!
  • tacpot12tacpot12 Forumite
    3.5K posts
    1,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary
    ✭✭✭✭
    The Railway Benefit Fund would be another option if you want to donate the compensation to a charity: https://www.railwaybenefitfund.org.uk/
    The comments I post are my personal opinion. While I try to check everything is correct before posting, I can and do make mistakes, so always check official information sources before relying on my posts.
  • Be aware that the railway operator, Caledonian Sleepers, will claim and get a refund on your behalf from Network Rail, regardless whether or not you claim what you are entitled to.
    So will you leave the money with them or use it as you wish?
  • Yes, I would. Compensation is for two reasons - one is to provide you with the service you should have had or your money back, and the other is to make sure train companies have every financial reason to make trains run on time.

If there weren't penalties - and/or a substantial amount of those penalties were not claimed - the operator has less incentive to improve as they are keeping the money regardless.
    Mortgage Sept 2018: £151,000 ending Oct 2038, Mortgage August 2019: £136,467 ending March 2038
  • 100% claim it back
    Network Rail have to compensate the train companies for infrastructure delays
    If you don’t claim back that money it is added to the train companies bottom line.
    For me this is morally wrong and the train companies shouldn’t be profiting. The money should be reinvested to make the railway better
  • SystemSystem
    177.8K posts
    10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    No. Absoutely not. It's about doing what you feel is morally right. I certainly wouldn't be claiming. It's not about the company and what they would do, think etc., it's about your actions. You work according to your own moral compass.
  • REJPREJP Forumite
    186 posts
    Third Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper
    Did the delay cost you any business or lose you money? If so, claim.
    If not, remember that you were not the only people on the train, and all might claim the £300.
    That is a lot of money in delay payments.
    Now, where do you think the money to pay delay claims comes from? Yes, increased fares all round. So you may gain in the short term but lose out by paying higher fares for different future journeys.
    Personally, I would not claim if not inconvenienced.
  • REJPREJP Forumite
    186 posts
    Third Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper
    The comment that Caledonian Sleepers will get the money from Network Rail is only correct if the rail infrastructure was faulty. If the delay was due to late crew arrivals or engine problems, that is nothing to do with Network Rail. There is not enough information to tell what the delay was caused by.
    Remember that in the end whoever pays, costs of compensation come from increasing fares.
    The original poster did not state there was inconvenience, rather it was said the journey was enjoyable.