Forum Home» Public Transport & Cycling

Money Moral Dilemma: Should we claim £300 for a train delay when we still enjoyed the journey? - Page 5

New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

Money Moral Dilemma: Should we claim £300 for a train delay when we still enjoyed the journey?

edited 30 November -1 at 12:00AM in Public Transport & Cycling
45 replies 20.2K views
1235»

Replies

• crmismcrmism Forumite
    219 posts
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Posts
    ✭✭
    It would have been more enlightening had we known the cause of the travel delay, which might well have been beyond the rail company's control, in which case I'd have been inclined to waive compensation as it's unethical to claim money for nothing. As you point out, you enjoyed the journey anyway.

However, given a train's unimpeded access to a railway stretching from one end of the country to the other, the absence of roundabouts, traffic lights, congestion and just about every other obstacle on route, I'd certainly press a claim if the delay was solely through poor management, poor maintenance, poor staff, etc.
  • daveyjpdaveyjp Forumite
    9.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sleeper isn't a service many people just turn up and buy a ticket for as it has limited capacity.

The refund should therefore be done automatically.
  • JReacher1JReacher1 Forumite
    4.1K posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    You should claim.

For one thing £150 each to get a train within the UK is far too much. This is why people drive or fly as the price of trains is far too high.
  • yorkie2yorkie2 Forumite
    1.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    FYI You don't get a refund if the train delay was caused by someone being hit by a train - I've been refused a refund on that basis :-( Whilst I'm obviously very sorry for that person, the train was still 2 hours late, and I lost out time visiting family.
    This is incorrect under the current Conditions of Travel.

If the train is delayed/cancelled and you choose not to travel you can claim a full refund. If you do make the journey, and the delay is sufficiently lengthy (typically 30+ minutes, but this does vary), delay compensation can be claimed.
  • marmite1979marmite1979 Forumite
    73 posts
    Sixth Anniversary 10 Posts Name Dropper
    Would the Train Company be so sympathetic had you had a slight indiscretion on your ticket? Would they think aw!! poor customer you made a mistake so don't give us even more money on top of what we've had already. They entered an agreement with you at not an insignificant price and failed to deliver claim it back and travel on the service again if you liked it so much.
    If you enjoyed a two course meal and were charged later for three would you pay up and leave it or query it and have it removed from the bill?