Tilly x x x
    2004 £387k 29 years - MF March 2033:eek:
    2011 £309k 10 years - MF March 2021.
    Achieved Goal: 28/08/15 :j
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Morning! I had a bit of a play on findmypast yesterday, its a free weekend there. They have some Republic of Ireland info, that you can't get on free ancestry weekends, so that was interesting. But I'm sure I'll never find my great great grandfather - Patrick Connor, anyone? Anyone? Why are you all running away? :D

In genealogy terms, its the same as John Smith - when we were tracing his later life in New York, the clerk at the city offices made a joke about it, before he knew that it *was* the name we were chasing :D

Anyway, I'll do a bit more today. Been going after the single non-industrial line I have - the last person in *any* line to have worked on the land was born in 1835! And I love this guy, he's the only connection I have to the land. Industrialised Britain has been going a long time!

Otherwise, one of the most pleasurable tasks of all: walking into the town centre to buy a Congratulations On Your Engagement card :j that'll chase the lurgies away.
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • Karmacat
    Options
    Morning! My word, its later than I usually post. Done my phone session work already, but am snuffling badly, so not too much work going to go on.

Posting the engagement card :) that'll be nice.

Blogging - very pleasurable one here, taking photos of the two little cat statuettes I bought years ago, that are coloured very like my own cats, so I can blog about them appropriately

:j:j:j its hard work, this blogging lark, isn't it :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
  • Karmacat
    Options
    Chosen the kittie photos, but I just need to post the card, then I'll have a rest. Been reading about this woman: http://www.theguardian.com/books/2013/jul/02/self-publishing-rachel-abbott

Fiction seems to be the way to go, thats for sure. As soon as the lurgy's gone, the writing is going to be the focus of the day :)
  • Goldiegirl
    Goldiegirl Posts: 8,805 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler Hung up my suit!
    Options
    Hope you're having a happy blogging time

On the family history front I have similar problems with my great grandmother, a MacKenzie from northern Scotland.

I keep trying to trace what happened to her brothers but they've all got names like Robert and Duncan, so it's like a needle in a haystack

My mum's mum's family were all ag labs, and on other lines I have things like wheelwrights and blacksmiths, so all good traditional jobs. Probably one of the most interesting was Great Grandmother MacKenzie and her husband. She was a teacher at a workhouse, and he was a relieving officer, who gave our poor relief or admitted people to the workhouse.

Mr Goldie's family is much more industrialised. I like his great great grandfather who was a truss maker!

It's fascinating to find our what our ancestors did for a living
    Early retired - 18th December 2014
    If your dreams don't scare you, they're not big enough
  • I so agree about family history throwing up all sorts of problems but isn't it fun wandering down some of the blind alleys?

In one of my English lines there are lots of Wrights which, whilst not as common as Mackenzies in Scotland, still gave me a lot of headaches.

I put out an appeal on one of the websites where people are kind enough to offer to do look-ups and someone came back to me with a Eureka moment:j. The Wright she found living round about the right time in the right area was a rat-catcher:eek:. I know someone has to do the job but I was mightily pleased when I could discount him as being one of my Wrights. Snob, moi?:o. Made me smile at the coincidence, considering my battles with mice:rotfl:

Karmacat you definitely must take your own advice about fiction writing. You'll be brilliant at it and will get a lot of pleasure from doing it:beer:

Teeming rain here. started off the day drizzling and has gone downhill all the way. Have need the lights on for most of the afternoon. I hope you're all seeing a bit of sunlight today.
  • Karmacat
    Options
    Thanks both! Yes, I love the byways and highways of family history :) Sad moments are counteracted by the good stuff - my ag. lab born in 1835, for instance, was very, very upwardly mobile, his wife was the postmistress, for heaven's sakes! And I have a picture of him, taken in 1910, at a church outing :j sent to us by a researcher in America, bless them :)

Thinking about fiction, I've realised that my original novel outline could become three novels :o at least. Working on the other stuff for now, actually, but will work *properly*, and close down everything else, pretending I'm not snuffling, and pretending its not raining cats and dogs. Which it is :D and I *had* to do some washing, so its back to using the clothes maiden!

Laterz, doodz.
  • rtandon27
    rtandon27 Posts: 4,538 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    I hereby declare your thread a snuffle free zone!

(Now you just need to tell the snuffles to buzz off!)

I dug out the multi-vitamins from the larder last night - multi, C, D, odorless garlic tabs - it's that time a year when my immune system can do with all the help it can get!!!!!

OH thought he 'might' have a sore throat - told him if it ripened I was sleeping in the living room until it left the house!

Family heritage is sooooooooo fascinating! Loving all your stories!
    4 YEARS 10 MONTHS DEBT FREE!!! (24 OCT 2016)
    (With heartfelt thanks to those who have gone before us & their indubitable generosity.)
    ...and now I have a mortgage! (23 AUG 2021)
    17 YEARS 4 MONTHS LEFT OF 20 YEARS
  • Karmacat
    Options
    Much obliged, RT :D snuffles are duly banished :j

And I scooted off to take a slow release vit c as soon as I read what you wrote about the vitamins ... I'm bad at remembering them in particular, oops.

The family stuff is great, isn't it!

Blog now updated, and oh, the agony of accidental deletion :p in a format where I don't know how to undo the delete :o that'll teach me!

Still, its all there now. And more writing this afternoon, on edible lawns, and edible front gardens in general :) I like this one :j
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport