Breaking Through, Travelling On

Options

Comments

• Goldiegirl
    Goldiegirl Posts: 8,805 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler Hung up my suit!
    Options
    Glad you feel a bit more perky:)

Yes, I agree with the autumn thing. I feel like I should be starting 'something', but I'm not quite sure what.

The obvious thing would be matched betting..... But I can't quite motivate myself as far as that!
    Early retired - 18th December 2014
    If your dreams don't scare you, they're not big enough
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    edited 12 September 2015 at 10:33AM
    Options
    Another one here who understands the autumn thing.

In years gone by I used to read the adult-education prospectus of the local authority as soon as it came out in late summer and enrol on a non-vocational course every year. It was almost as if the new year started in autumn, just like at school:rotfl:. They cost such a small amount for 3 terms-worth of tuition starting in September for one evening a week, not to mention all the camaraderie. In bad winters I had to miss going some weeks as the country roads/lanes were too bad especially at night, but in every case I saw it through and learned such a variety of new things:j. Even obtained a few qualifications along the way too:T

I've done pottery, quilting, calligraphy, Danish (made a change from the usual Spanish and French and I love Denmark), life-saving (swimming), touch-typing, creative writing, basic car maintenance for women:rotfl:, yoga, watercolour painting and various others , one per year, over many, many years. Nowadays, with financial cutbacks in all their services , the local authorities are offering next to nothing apart from computer courses and even they get fully booked up as soon as they are announced. Each autumn I've missed out on the only one of these that appealed. I haven't done an evening class for about 6 years now and I really miss them:(
  • smallholdingsister
    Options
    What are your plans today?
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    CBC, that sounds a really good idea - I used to do such a lot of evening work, well, all the hours god sends work, it was never really on for me to book a series of classes, but its a definite when I retire - the first thing I'll be doing is turning up to the "healthy walks", which are graded, and just about right for me.

Danish! Love it :)

SHS - hi there! Plans today - good question! I want a word with my sister, as I need to back out of our plans for tomorrow with the Open Houses weekend :( otherwise, I need to muck about in the kitchen, decluttering and packing things away, oops!

Heading over to yours in a min, to see what your plans are - I just *know* you're going to be rushing about with horses and children all over the country :rotfl:

Oh, must also remember what Ed said the other day - Goldie, this applies to you too, since you don't fancy learning matched betting. Taking up the offers of free slots! It often doesn't pay you anything, but you're guaranteed not to lose, so all it takes is your time. And if you get a big win, as Ed says, it works out to £20 per month per year. Thats worth doing.
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • smallholdingsister
    Options
    No travel today KC but there will be tomorrow as a friend is getting ordained.
    I have never been to an ordination before.
  • Karmacat
    Options
    Ooh, neither have I - do write/blog about it, I'd be really interested. I've been to an adult's confirmation, by a bishop, and had the chance to talk to him afterwards, that was an experience.
  • Watty1
    Watty1 Posts: 4,940 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Glad you are back to full power KC.
    Great tip about the free slots. Inspired by another thread I have started reading Matched Betting stuff but then business imploded and have had to give that my attention.
    It is on the radar though :)
    Made it to mortgage free but what a muddle that became

In the event the proverbial hits the fan then co-habitees are better stashing their cash than being mortgage free !!
  • Karmacat
    Options
    Sometimes that's for the best, watty, isn't it :)

Spending! Bought two pairs of trousers at the sale in Millets, delivered to the local store for £1, total spend £31, which is good for two pairs of fair quality. Desperately needed, as well!
  • Karmacat wrote: »
    Oh, must also remember what Ed said the other day - Goldie, this applies to you too, since you don't fancy learning matched betting. Taking up the offers of free slots! It often doesn't pay you anything, but you're guaranteed not to lose, so all it takes is your time. And if you get a big win, as Ed says, it works out to £20 per month per year. Thats worth doing.

I used to enjoy Ed's comments and advice when he used to drop in on this thread, Karmacat:j. Not seen anything of him for ages, but I thought that must be because now he has a young child his free time will be more restricted;)

Sounds from your mention of him that he posts elsewhere. Does he have a thread of his own, please?
  • Goldiegirl
    Goldiegirl Posts: 8,805 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler Hung up my suit!
    Options
    Here's Mr Ed

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4961829

Free slots is a good idea.

I've got a 'throwaway' email address I could use.

I suppose the companies that offer these free slots assume you'll get addicted after using the freebies, but we're made of sterner stuff than that!

I hope the games aren't too complicated though, whenever I walk past a slot machine these days, they look a bit mind boggling!:rotfl:
    Early retired - 18th December 2014
    If your dreams don't scare you, they're not big enough
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family