New plan...time to see some movement!

Options

Comments

• Lifeisforliving19
    Options
    Phone bills and TV packages seem to be extortionate these days. We are with Vir**n but keep thinking of just having freeview, but we need to get our aerial done first as it is not very good and the signal is rubbish when the weather is bad. WE only have the basic package with Vir**n and even then there are loads of rubbish channels. :rotfl: The last twice they have written saying they are going to put up the price, OH has done a quick check for cheaper options and rung up and managed to get them to drop the price, by saying we would leave.:rotfl: With our phones, our mobile signal is rubbish in our village, although there is talk that O2 have put up a new mast and will shortly be getting 4G or something, so apparently it should improve. I must admit I tend to use the landline if I need to make an "official" phone call, as otherwise I keep losing the signal...unless I hang out the bedroom window. :rotfl:
    DMP 2015 £57,549, now £36,112 (37% paid)
    EF £200 Mortgage OP's this year £115

There's a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow, Shining at the End of Every Day!

• HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options
    Well done on the ebay selling Jwil, especially getting rid of large items :T.
    Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 😱 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017 :T 🎉
    EMERGENCY FUND 1 = £50/£5,000. EMERGENCY FUND 2 = £10/£5,000.
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £0/£500. SEF = £1,400/£12,000 PREMIUM BONDS ME = £350. PREMIUM BONDS DH = £300.
    HOLIDAY MONEY = £0 TIME LEFT TO PAY OFF MORTGAGE = 5 YEARS 1 MONTHS
  • Kitten868
    Kitten868 Posts: 1,785 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Jwils decluttering to normal mission. It sounds like you're making HUGE strides. Sounds like you've cleared a room this week. Supremely impressed. How far off normal are you now? I think your tally should have an extra column for large items.

Well done on clearing the tax credit overpayments. I've got just over a year to go. Hopefully you'll stay on an even keel from here. It's impossible to know if you're getting the right amount.

What's OH doing with all the eBay money flying in? There's loads of beds in the sale.

Ouch to the £70 phone bill. Glad you have it all in hand.

Keep on keeping on xxx
    Loan 1 £5200/£8000
    Loan 2 £300/£5800
    Total £5500/£13800
  • jwil
    jwil Posts: 19,120 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Phone bills and TV packages seem to be extortionate these days. We are with Vir**n but keep thinking of just having freeview, but we need to get our aerial done first as it is not very good and the signal is rubbish when the weather is bad. WE only have the basic package with Vir**n and even then there are loads of rubbish channels. :rotfl: The last twice they have written saying they are going to put up the price, OH has done a quick check for cheaper options and rung up and managed to get them to drop the price, by saying we would leave.:rotfl: With our phones, our mobile signal is rubbish in our village, although there is talk that O2 have put up a new mast and will shortly be getting 4G or something, so apparently it should improve. I must admit I tend to use the landline if I need to make an "official" phone call, as otherwise I keep losing the signal...unless I hang out the bedroom window. :rotfl:

It's crazy how expensive it all is these days. Since we switched to Giff Gaff we have much better signal in the house, and have free minutes each month, so it's a case of getting used to using the mobile rather than the landline.
    Well done on the ebay selling Jwil, especially getting rid of large items :T.

Thank you :)
    Kitten868 wrote: »
    Jwils decluttering to normal mission. It sounds like you're making HUGE strides. Sounds like you've cleared a room this week. Supremely impressed. How far off normal are you now? I think your tally should have an extra column for large items.

Well done on clearing the tax credit overpayments. I've got just over a year to go. Hopefully you'll stay on an even keel from here. It's impossible to know if you're getting the right amount.

What's OH doing with all the eBay money flying in? There's loads of beds in the sale.

Ouch to the £70 phone bill. Glad you have it all in hand.

Keep on keeping on xxx

Oh we are miles from normal. The front room is clear but the rest of the house isn't! There's a long way to go, and I'm not sure it will ever be completely clear as DH likes stuff.

Tax credits is a nightmare. I think we will probably have an overpayment this year again due to the childcare reducing this month, but hopefully it won't be a big one, especially as my wages will be lower than expected due to some unpaid leave. The overpayment we've just finished was from when DH was doing temporary work and then got the full time job, it's impossible to predict the earnings! 2019 should be fine, but then in 2020 little miss will be starting school so the childcare will change again!

DH is using the money from his sales for his CC and also he needs to save for the car as he thinks there's a big bill imminent.

Funnily enough, we've both got used to the mattress now, so it's not at the top of our list to replace any more :rotfl:
    "If you can dream it, you can do it". Walt Disney
  • Lifeisforliving19
    Options
    Interesting about Giff Gaff. OH is with them, but as they piggy back off O2, it hasn't helped him at all with the signal, but he does get unlimited texts and a lot of free minutes and data for £10 a month. I am with O2 and reluctant to change as I have a very good PAYG, tariff. I only use my mobile for texts mainly, Whatsapp, and a few calls, weather app, ebay and paypal. So if I top up £10 I get 300 texts and £10 for calls or data. But I don't use data as only use internet when I have wifi available. So after a month they text me to say that my free text allowance is finished for the month and I need to top up. But most months I have plenty of credit left and so don't need to top up yet. For example, they texted yesterday, burt I still have over £11 left in credit, so will use that up before I top up again. So most times, I get at least 6 -7 weeks for my £10.:)
    DMP 2015 £57,549, now £36,112 (37% paid)
    EF £200 Mortgage OP's this year £115

There's a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow, Shining at the End of Every Day!

• Choccygirl123
    Options
    Catching up on your diary and so impressed with your decluttering.

I cancelled our sky package in August and bartered down our phone and internet. I think a lot of people are fed up paying too much. We've got Netflix abd amazon prime and not even the teenagers miss it!
    Finally Debt Free 24/4/2023 
  • jwil
    Options
    Interesting about Giff Gaff. OH is with them, but as they piggy back off O2, it hasn't helped him at all with the signal, but he does get unlimited texts and a lot of free minutes and data for £10 a month. I am with O2 and reluctant to change as I have a very good PAYG, tariff. I only use my mobile for texts mainly, Whatsapp, and a few calls, weather app, ebay and paypal. So if I top up £10 I get 300 texts and £10 for calls or data. But I don't use data as only use internet when I have wifi available. So after a month they text me to say that my free text allowance is finished for the month and I need to top up. But most months I have plenty of credit left and so don't need to top up yet. For example, they texted yesterday, burt I still have over £11 left in credit, so will use that up before I top up again. So most times, I get at least 6 -7 weeks for my £10.:)

That's a bargain. DH needs something like that as he can't get O2 signal at work so needs a phone for there. He's on Virgin at the moment for that, but once his credit runs out he will try something else.
    Catching up on your diary and so impressed with your decluttering.

I cancelled our sky package in August and bartered down our phone and internet. I think a lot of people are fed up paying too much. We've got Netflix abd amazon prime and not even the teenagers miss it!

I think it's scary how much it is for phone and internet. We definitely won't miss the TV as we hardly ever watched the channels. We've got prime and I'll probably keep Netflix once the free trial ends so plenty to watch!

I'm always a bit nervous about switching internet as our previous provider was awful and the connection was always dropping. Since we've been with BT we've not had that problem, thankfully. It does make me stick with them and reluctant to try cheaper providers though.
  • Aaleigha
    Aaleigha Posts: 615 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    reading this you are putting me off getting a phone internet and tv package will to at least pay for line rental even if we do use mobile all the time

your ebay sales are going to well it wont be long before you are telling us you are running out of things to sell
    H xx
    Emergency fund £10,000
    Several categories with savings in
    Cars, house maintenance, birthdays
    Etc I have about 10 categories

Really happy to be debt free after being a compulsive spender
  • jwil
    Options
    Aaleigha wrote: »
    reading this you are putting me off getting a phone internet and tv package will to at least pay for line rental even if we do use mobile all the time

your ebay sales are going to well it wont be long before you are telling us you are running out of things to sell
    H xx

They are expensive, but if it's something that you will use a lot, then it's worth it if you shop around. We weren't using the TV part at all, or the phone package we were paying for so it was just a waste of money.

DH still has loads to sell, me not so much, but I bet I've got more than I think.
  • jwil
    Options
    I finished watching the Marie Kondo series on Netflix last night. It has made me think about my stuff again. I still have far too much and would like to get rid of a lot more.

I miss having the money coming in from eBay sales for me, so I'm going to have a good hunt around and see if I've got some more I can sell. I'd really like to get the house fund sorted so I can start targetting other stuff.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport