Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 2
  • MadCowMan
    I think you might need to adjust the spray pattern on that a touch

you can get special heads for patios that automatically 'wiggle' the spray for you , but I dont knwo how good they are. I got my pressure washer cheap from B&Q a few years ago and its done me well.

If anyone in Milton Keynes would like to give their patio the once over then let me know
    • 110frankie
    • By 110frankie 3rd Jan 07, 10:08 AM
    • 409 Posts
    • 224 Thanks
    110frankie
    I use a pressure washer as well, and I wear a face mask after a friend went through four years of pain and illness after breathing in the spray, which is a fine mist of water and algae mixed.

It's Guille Barre Syndrome (sp?) and very unpleasant.
    Face masks are available in pound shops
    • WestonDave
    • By WestonDave 3rd Jan 07, 10:40 AM
    • 5,038 Posts
    • 8,521 Thanks
    WestonDave
    Before those with outside taps dismiss the pressure washers, it might be worth trying a borrowed one with a bucket (or even filling an empty dustbin and using that) - a washer is only really a high powered pump feeding water to a very small nozzle. They actually use very little water as I've learned when running it on to empty the hose after use. You can get a good few minutes running out of a 20ft hose! As we're now on a water meter I'm planning to try to run ours off a water butt (need to get one and fill it first!).

One word of warning tho - repeated washing (even with a hard brush) can take off the smooth surface that forms when concrete slabs set in the mould, which makes them more prone to algae growth (more for it to grip to) and therefore mean that you have to keep doing it. Some slabs are also made with a fine colour cement powder on the top and just basic concrete underneath - if you wash off the colour you might end up with something horrible!
    • Penny Watcher
    • By Penny Watcher 3rd Jan 07, 10:55 AM
    • 3,412 Posts
    • 5,824 Thanks
    Penny Watcher
    I think you might need to adjust the spray pattern on that a touch
    by MadCowMan

Think Mr Watcher's attitude to cleaning needs some readjustment too

You cannot live as I have lived an not end up like me.

Oi you lot - please GIVE BLOOD - you never know when you and yours might need it back! 52 pints so far.
    • Zziggi
    • By Zziggi 3rd Jan 07, 11:45 AM
    • 2,385 Posts
    • 2,234 Thanks
    Zziggi
    I spent xmas day blasting our paving slabs with a power washer to get rid of all the algae. They look a treat now. My advice is the same as earlier posters - beg or steal a power washer from a friendly neighbour or relative. It can be time consuming to do the whole of each paving slab (not like the pic above!) but it looks good when it is done. My modest garden took me about 6 hours in total but i did a thorough job. I tend to do ours once a year (funnily enough usually on the 25th of dec!) but i could do it once every couple of year and it'd be fine. My power washer is a yellow kaercher one and does the rounds of relative and friends.
  • loopyloulou
    i cleaned my entire patio and decking which had the same problem with algae on it, with good old stardrops! i did use an entire bottle tho, but at 50 odd pence a bottle i thought i could stretch to that!! LOL

i squirted it on and then put some boiling water on with it and scrubbed with a stiff broom (and scrubbed on my hands and knees) left it for a bit and then rinsed it and it came up a treat! next job is to do the same to my garden bench ready for restaining..... although havent quite got round to that one yet!!
    • prophecy_grrl
    • By prophecy_grrl 7th Jan 07, 7:04 AM
    • 668 Posts
    • 3,379 Thanks
    prophecy_grrl
    Thanks everyone for all this useful advice - I spent two hours in the pouring rain yesterday scrubbing my patio and path with boiling water and washing up liquid - it looks great now, so am very pleased.

I have decided that I should invest in an outside tap though, as my father-in-law has a pressure washer we could borrow, and judging from what you guys have said once a year should suffice if cleaning with a pressure washer. Working full time andbeing addicted to Nintendo Wii mean I like to limit the time I spend on housework!!!

Finally - Penny Watcher, I will heed your advice and keep DH away from pressure washer when we get the outside tap - Although don't you just love duplication of effort (he does the job, you do it properly an hour later)!!!
    *** PROPHECY_GRRL***
    *** DEBT FREE AS OF 17/10/11 - I DID IT!!! ***
  • full-time-mum
    Cleaning Patio
    The path around the back of the garage leading to the greenhouse is very slippery.

We can borrow a pressure washer but not for a week or two. Can anyone suggest a temporary way to stop it being so slippery without having to resort to chemicals.

Thanks
    7 Angel Bears for LovingHands Autumn Challenge. 10 KYSTGYSES. 3 and 3/4 (ran out of wool) small blanket/large square, 2 premie blankets, 2 Angel Claire Bodywarmers
    • The Plush Doormat
    • By The Plush Doormat 16th Apr 09, 7:18 PM
    • 3,907 Posts
    • 291,398 Thanks
    The Plush Doormat
    A stiff garden broom, a hose, and plenty of elbow grease.
    We could all learn a little something from the weather. It pays no attention to criticism.
    • annie123
    • By annie123 16th Apr 09, 7:19 PM
    • 4,221 Posts
    • 17,241 Thanks
    annie123
    I would put some cheap sand on it, works for oil spills.
    • wildbri
    • By wildbri 16th Apr 09, 7:37 PM
    • 217 Posts
    • 144 Thanks
    wildbri
    diluted bleach is a very easy and cheap why of cleaning patios along with a stiff brush
    to brush it in and the muck off. I know you wanted a chemical free solution, but the only way is hard work a stiff brush and water.. bri
    • Butterfly Brain
    • By Butterfly Brain 16th Apr 09, 8:25 PM
    • 8,736 Posts
    • 61,001 Thanks
    Butterfly Brain
    Jeyes fluid and a stiff brush works and keeps the slime at bay for a long time
  • MRSMCAWBER
    I wet the patio down, sprinkle on some wash powder and attack with the yard brush -then hose down -it usually get rid of any green
    -6 -8 -3 -1.5 -2.5 -3 -1.5-3.5
  • FamilyTree
    I agree with the sand idea, or anything gritty ....like Grit or rock salt that will give you a grip and allow you to wait till you have the pressure washer, that would be the most environmentally friendly way. :rolleyes:
  • Flytothesun
    The problem in using bleach or other chemicals is that they completely destroy all the worms and other wildlife which lie underneath the stone patio.
    Best to use a 50/50 solution of white vinegar or bicarbonate of soda which is very effective but doesn't kill the wildlife.
    Last edited by Flytothesun; 20-10-2012 at 8:56 AM. Reason: Word was misspelt
    • tub28
    • By tub28 20th Oct 12, 7:32 PM
    • 129 Posts
    • 174 Thanks
    tub28
    I'm sure I've heard pouring coca cola over the patio and giving it a good scrub cleans it really well
  • Jmarles
    Garden paving will need periodic cleaning to keep it looking its best. Generally a regular sweep with a stiff broom and a good power washing will be adequate to avoid any build up of dirt. However, you may wish to clean your patio using a proprietary cleaner.

This can enhance its appearance but it may affect long term durability and should only be used sparingly. We recommend you consult your supplier for advice and a suitable cleaning product.
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 6th Feb 13, 7:45 AM
    • 16,404 Posts
    • 140,205 Thanks
    JackieO
    I have a K*archer yellow power washer that I bought a couple of years ago when it was on at a very reasonable price offer in B&Qs.I get one of my grandsons ben around and for the price of two of grans very tasty bacon sarnies he will pulverise my patio for me.He is hoping to join the Army next year when he finishes his 'A' levels and so playing with my power washer is a bit of fun for him he also does my white metal table and chairs and lines up the chairs on the lawn and 'shoots ' them Bless him he may be 18 this year but he is still a kid at heart My DD also borrows it to do her decking as it can get very slippery during the winter and her decking stretches from outside her kitchen door
    Quot Libros,Quam Breve Tempus. 2018:Food Budget only( 1st Oct 30.96,15 Oct 14.28 total for month 45.24,) Total end of October since Jan 307.43
    • Primrose
    • By Primrose 6th Feb 13, 2:45 PM
    • 8,397 Posts
    • 29,518 Thanks
    Primrose
    I'd be wary of using a pressure washer. If your patio stones were originally sealed with a protective agent of some kind, the strength of the pressure washer will remove that coating and although the stones will look much cleaner at first, they will then attract dirt and lychen much more readily thereafter, and it will be more difficult to remove.
    This is what happened to our patio slabs. I now use Jeyes Fluid Patio Cleaner (it's not the actual Jeyes Fluid product). I apply it with water after it's been raining so the slabs are already wet, then leave for about 30 minutes and scrub with a stiff yard broom before hosing/washing it away.
  • Briri
    Take care when using bleach on a patio. A few years ago I cleaned mine with dilute bleach (1:5) and within a few weeks an ancient Boston Ivy (which covered all the walls of the house) growing close by, was completely dead! Its roots spread underneath the patio and had absorbed the bleach. At the same time a pyracantha adjacent to another part of the patio, also died. Both plants were over 25 years old and had been in good health.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

257Posts Today

3,678Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @laurawithers84: @MartinSLewis Our school is going to use your book for our new finance fortnight for year 8 students. We thought we wou?

• RT @katiejane13uk: ????????IMPORTANT - CALLING ALL LEASEHOLDERS TO COMPLETE???????? @mhclg Leasehold Reform Consultation closes this month. This is the?

• Just sent a text about postgrad loans. My Swype text auto-corrected it to pothead loans. Does it know something I don't?

• Follow Martin