Am I a homeowner or a tenant? My partner owns the flat we live in & we're not married

Options

Comments

• Candyapple
    Candyapple Posts: 3,384 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Options
    franwise wrote: »
    Thanks, again very useful info!

So by that logic, credit card companies must look more favourably on homeowners? And private tenant implies a lack of stability, you could be evicted at any point, which I don't think really reflects my situation (at least I hope not!!) I supposed my credit rating was good enough when I was a private tenant, and now if I put my rent down as very low, I have a decent disposable monthly income to pay off loans.

Yes got it in one. The person/people with a mortgage are tied to a huge debt and much less likely to default on repayments because of the repercussions. It also means that say your credit card limit was £10k (very common) and you defaulted on it, it means the cc company could chase you for the money and get a charge put on your property so that way they get their money back. As opposed to a tenant who has nothing secure for the cc company to go after, if you defaulted they would only be able to chase you via debt collectors and possible CCJ, but if you didn't bother repaying, they've lost £10k. The risk is higher.

Also, if you put down homeowner and you are not on the mortgage, when they credit check you and see that the mortgage account is not on your credit files, you have essentially lied and they would be well within their rights to place a CIFAS marker against you for giving false info. At the very least it would be flagged on the National Hunter system as a discrepancy so be careful.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Credit Cards, Loans, Credit Files & Ratings boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,836 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Funnily enough I'm in almost the same situation as you, I put tenant down normally because I pay rent to her and it's as close a match as possible - I don't own the home, don't rent from the council and don't live with parents
  • Owain_Moneysaver
    Owain_Moneysaver Posts: 11,357 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    franwise wrote: »
    And private tenant implies a lack of stability, you could be evicted at any point, which I don't think really reflects my situation (at least I hope not!!)

A tenant can only be evicted following an application to the court and grant of a court order for possession.

You have fewer rights than a tenant. You are a lodger and can basically be evicted at any time.

This is a particular problem for Muslim women who think they're married because they have an Islamic marriage, but it's not recognised in law.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
  • 20aday
    20aday Posts: 2,610 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    I lodge with someone who I!!!8217;ve known for the best part of nearly 15 years now but unless !!!8216;Other!!!8217; is an option I always choose !!!8216;Tenant!!!8217;.
    It's not your credit score that counts, it's your credit history. Any replies are my own personal opinion and not a representation of my employer.
  • Mrs_Ryan
    Mrs_Ryan Posts: 11,832 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Same situation- I always put either tenant or other. There is no mortgage on the property- so technically if they went looking for the mortgage on the credit files of the legal owner of the property (OH) they would find diddly squat on there as there is no mortgage yet he is not lying about being the owner! So that is a bit daft really.
    Still perfectly possible to get high credit limits being a tenant- my mum has limits of 8k, 5k, 5k on 3 cards and she has lived in council properties all her life. Yet OH has just opened a Barclaycard Platinum- Home owner, immaculate credit files, banked with Barclays over 10 years and they only gave him 2.5k which I thought was a bit stingy. He thinks it is a stupidly high limit though and is freaking out about it :D
    *The RK and FF fan club* #Family*Don’t Be Bitter- Glitter!* #LotsOfLove ‘Darling you’re my blood, you have my heartbeat’ Dad 20.02.20
  • PC_Yorkshire
    Options
    You're a tenant

Database of rogue landlords and property agents under the Housing and Planning Act 2016
  • semma19
    semma19 Posts: 74 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Your situation is not ‘incredibly fortunate’ - as a woman I read it with horror! As a formal tenant you’d have more rights. You contribute to a household setup that you legally have zero rights to. It’s utter madnes and if you split up you’ll have nothing. I don’t understand why women put themselves in this position! I currently live in my boyfriend’s flat, but own my own and let it out. We won’t be purchasing a house together until we’re married, and if we don’t get married, we won’t stay together. Do you not talk about these things with your partner? In my opinion, if two people are really committed to each other it wouldn’t matter if one earns significantly less - assets are simply joint assets as both parties bring different things to the table. But I would urge any woman reading this to make sure she does actually have something to bring to the table!

I’m sorry to sound harsh, but this setup seems ridiculously common and it really is not in your own interests. ‘Feeling’ like your home matters not a jot.
  • sparkey1
    sparkey1 Posts: 444 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    You are a tenant, and this is why. Because you are not on the mortgage, when you apply for credit, the mortgage account wont show on your credit file, because you are not named on the mortgage. If you said you were the owner, you would have no documents to prove it. I wouldn't go as far as saying you would be commiting fraud as there is no malice intended, but if you said you were the home owner, its possible that a CIFAS warning may be put on your credit file, and that would really cause future problems.

So for credit purposes, you are a tenant.
  • Mrs_Ryan
    Mrs_Ryan Posts: 11,832 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    edited 23 July 2018 at 12:08AM
    Options
    I do not get it as to why so many people are saying that if the mortgage cannot be seen on the credit file you cannot call yourself the owner. :mad:
    What happens when there literally is no mortgage? What if the house was paid for in cash? What if the house was inherited? What if the mortgage was paid off past the point where it would appear on credit files?
    Having a mortgage on a credit file is not the sole way of being considered the owner of a house for credit purposes because not everyone has a mortgage!!! As I mentioned, nothing shows on OHs credit file but his name is on the deeds of the property and he is the legal owner. But yeah wait- he cant be can he as there is no mortgage on his credit file ;)
    In my case, the house aint mine and I never pretend it is in any way. I always put tenant or living with friends/family if there is an option.
    Get what you are saying stephanieemma but in my case I am fortunate enough that if something were to happen I would be okay. I have a close and loving family and my parents home will be always be mine too so I would not be left with nothing- I would still have somewhere to go. If my parents were not around my sister has said she will take me in. I look after OH due to his mental health problems and he literally could not cope on his own. The situation is probably not ideal to those who do not have such a secure fall back but one size does not fit all.
    *The RK and FF fan club* #Family*Don’t Be Bitter- Glitter!* #LotsOfLove ‘Darling you’re my blood, you have my heartbeat’ Dad 20.02.20
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,836 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Your situation is not !!!8216;incredibly fortunate!!!8217; - as a woman I read it with horror! As a formal tenant you!!!8217;d have more rights. You contribute to a household setup that you legally have zero rights to. It!!!8217;s utter madnes and if you split up you!!!8217;ll have nothing. I don!!!8217;t understand why women put themselves in this position! I currently live in my boyfriend!!!8217;s flat, but own my own and let it out. We won!!!8217;t be purchasing a house together until we!!!8217;re married, and if we don!!!8217;t get married, we won!!!8217;t stay together. Do you not talk about these things with your partner? In my opinion, if two people are really committed to each other it wouldn!!!8217;t matter if one earns significantly less - assets are simply joint assets as both parties bring different things to the table. But I would urge any woman reading this to make sure she does actually have something to bring to the table!

I!!!8217;m sorry to sound harsh, but this setup seems ridiculously common and it really is not in your own interests. !!!8216;Feeling!!!8217; like your home matters not a jot.

U ok hon?

Also why does it only apply to women?

#everydaysexism
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills