Am I a homeowner or a tenant? My partner owns the flat we live in & we're not married

Options
13»

Comments

• semma19
    semma19 Posts: 74 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    mrs_ryan, I don't think anyone is disputing that you can be a homeowner without a mortgage. Of course you can. Loans etc can still be secured against a mortgage-free home.

And with regards to my other post, the reason I mention women is because I almost never hear of this setup the other way round. The majority of the time it's lower paid women living like this.

Far from being sexist, I am actually trying to illustrate how unfair it is to one party in the relationship and encourage women to take more ownership of what they can bring to the table. I don't believe in anyone having their cake and eating it in a relationship, which is why personally I'd never shack up with someone long-term without my name being on the deeds. I think the owner in your type of situation has one foot out of the door so to speak - he's protecting his asset but gets a live-in partner. Call me me old-fashioned if you like, but I believe in committed relationships i.e. both parties are committed equally. Which is also why I wouldn't join finances (e.g. home ownership) pre-marriage. Perhaps not the most popular way of thinking anymore, but believe me I've seen enough things go wrong in women's lives when relationships break down to think this way.
  • PippyLS
    PippyLS Posts: 21 Forumite
    Options
    I will have been with my OH 14 years in January, over 9 of them married. I moved into his house 12 years ago. Still no utilities in my name as I've never needed that I do now pay the house and car insurances (being MSE down from nearly £1700/year for both to less than £800). I will start getting my name on bills as I start getting better deals.

In the meantime - he is currently not working due to health and I am re-mortgaging my property to get finance to pay this mortgage off, so we have a mortgage free home and one less worry. Still not named on deeds. It is not an issue to us. He is not named on my deeds. THis may change once we sit down but currently not a priority.

And, despite living here over 12 years, when the mortgage company did thecredit checks, we are not financially linked.
  • DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,906 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I can't see any box you tick other than 'somewhat at risk'. If homeowner goes under a bus tomorrow, where is the Will & how soon might someone want you out?

Sorry, I'm as cheerful as stephanieemma, but more laconic. Unless someone uses the phrase "common law wife" which has all the status & reality of "unicorn" to the law, to the health service, even to the funeral director.

Unless you have some additional paperwork, like being executor & beneficiary, you have a roof over your head and a rather uncertain future & I'd urge you to consider matrimony, civil partnership or saving up a lot more.

Very best of luck.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport