PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Family of 5 'shop from home'food storage challenge...

Options

Comments

• Yategirl
    Yategirl Posts: 839 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hello! Hope everyone had a good christmas and some nice pressies??

I now *have* my dehydrator... not had chance to try it out yet but think I might try apple slices first. Jamie - how did you get on?? Also got some fruit bushes for the garden which is great and am very happy with those!

Need to get geared up for baking again.... treated myself to a cheap electric whisk today - am making key lime pie for New Year and it is easier to whisk with an electric whisk! D&DD - I have a recipe for chocolate cake / pudding which has no flour or dairy (but does if contain eggs) if you would like it? Tis very rich and more of a special meal type of pudding but so so yummy!
  • morwenna
    Options
    I hope everyone has had a happy yule and some great pressies! I am being teased by my family about my great joy and excitement over my mezzaluna..I have wanted one for ages, of course you all know my addiction to Nigella recipes already :rolleyes: We have all had flue type symptoms so have had to spread the yuletide out this year, it's been good though. I hope everyone here has a happy and healthy 2008! :beer:
  • Kaz2904
    Kaz2904 Posts: 5,797 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    I managed to get a clipping from one of the patients magazines last year and got 9 bluebery bushes and 3 cranberrys. The cranberries died but the blueberries arte still allive. I just hope they fruit this year.
    TTFN, Kaz.
    Debt: 16/04/2007:TOTAL DEBT [strike]£92727.75[/strike] £49395.47:eek: :eek: :eek: £43332.28 repaid 100.77% of £43000 target.
    MFiT T2: Debt [STRIKE]£52856.59[/STRIKE] £6316.14 £46540.45 repaid 101.17% of £46000 target.
    2013 Target: completely clear my [STRIKE]£6316.14[/STRIKE] £0 mortgage debt. £6316.14 100% repaid.
  • bonsibabe
    bonsibabe Posts: 1,055 Forumite
    Options
    Hi All!

Okay - here is the recipe for my Italian Seasoning. It's pretty similar to the one you can buy in Mr T's. Although mine is cheaper cos I just buy cheap bottles of the herbs and make a big jar. Where I live Mr T's one costs almost 2 euros for a really small jar that doesnt last 5 minutes in my house whereas i make a big jar of it and it lasts for weeks and it costs about 5 euros in total. I use a recycled hot dog jar. (they are great in germany - everything is in jars lol)

I use - Oregano, Basil, Marjoram, Thyme, Rosemary, Parsley and Chives. I just put equal quantities of each in the jar and give it a blooming good mix about.

It's great for bolognese, lasagne, pizzas, in fact i have been known to slip some in my soups as well! But anything that uses a tomato sauce and is remotely similar to italian food - it makes it taste great and smells delicious. If i use this in cooking the kids wolf the food down like there is no tomorrow!

I will post some more recipes for seasonings in a wee bit.

Enjoy!

Di xx :j
    LBM - August 2008 - Debts then - £33390 :eek:- 2nd LBM - November 2009 - Debts then - £18500:mad:
    Current debt levels: OD £3860, Loan 1 £6091, Loan 2 £5052, Parents £260, Total £16133 :eek: As at 01 May 2012 - 51.69% paid off :j
    Aiming for a No Spend Christmas 2012!
  • Doom_and_Gloom
    Options
    morwenna wrote: »
    I hope everyone has had a happy yule and some great pressies! I am being teased by my family about my great joy and excitement over my mezzaluna..I have wanted one for ages, of course you all know my addiction to Nigella recipes already :rolleyes: We have all had flue type symptoms so have had to spread the yuletide out this year, it's been good though. I hope everyone here has a happy and healthy 2008! :beer:
    I really would like a mezzaluna but one of the double bladed ones as I'm acident prone and bound to get myself with the single as they aren't as sturdy. Hows it working out for you though? Don't let them get to you they are an amazing tool. if it's a single I believe you can even cut your pizzas with them so at least they are versitile :rotfl: and well herbs are lovely.
    I am a vegan woman. My OH is a lovely omni guy :D
  • morwenna
    morwenna Posts: 844 Forumite
    Options
    I really would like a mezzaluna but one of the double bladed ones as I'm acident prone and bound to get myself with the single as they aren't as sturdy. Hows it working out for you though? Don't let them get to you they are an amazing tool. if it's a single I believe you can even cut your pizzas with them so at least they are versitile :rotfl: and well herbs are lovely.

It's a single, it's the "official" Nigella one, very sturdy and a lovely heavy weight, I find the weight alone makes it easy to use. So far I still have ten digits, although I will keep you posted!! ;) Great idea about pizza, I have a wheel cutter, but hate cleaning it!
  • lil_me
    lil_me Posts: 13,186 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I have a double bladed one, I didn't know there was a posh name for it :rotfl: it's a herb chopperer in my house :o it came in the knife set my Dad got me last year for my birthday. Thankfully it seems to have stayed sharp because the thought of sharpening it scares the heck out of me....cleaning it is scary enough.

As for the herb mixes, if you google what seasoning you would like then put for example 'make' or 'home made' you will usually get lots of suggestions. http://busycooks.about.com/od/homemademixes/r/ that page has lots of mixes of varied types from sauces to herbs. I find it's handy to make my own because then I can tweek it, I have an oregano 'addiction' and always add extra. Only time I buy mixed ones is if I pop to Costco and get the giant tubs.
    One day I might be more organised...........:confused:
    GC: £200
    Slinkies target 2018 - another 70lb off (half way to what the NHS says) so far 25lb
  • D&DD
    D&DD Posts: 4,405 Forumite
    Options
    morwenna wrote: »
    It's a single, it's the "official" Nigella one, very sturdy and a lovely heavy weight, I find the weight alone makes it easy to use. So far I still have ten digits, although I will keep you posted!! ;) Great idea about pizza, I have a wheel cutter, but hate cleaning it!

ooh I saw those when I was browsing the Lakelands sale...:whistle: I didn't buy much..honest :silenced: Mainly new jar lids and bits...and bobs...:o They look like a really good gadget but am now wondering if my pizza cutter might do the same job..will have to try it out later :D

I found a link on here for slowcooker recipes and its an offshoot of one of the sites I use all the time its www.justslowcooking.com and its wonderful. as usual tons of recipes but lots of sweet ones too apples etc so will be experimenting most of the next year working my way through them all !!

I think its going to be a wonderful addition to [STRIKE]our[/STRIKE] my kitchen :D

Seeing as I can't get near a pc at the moment with the tribe home *they're eating so I have about 5 mins before I lose this one!!* I took the opportunity yesterday to clear out my kitchen cupboards..I've been soooo busy they were a mess :eek:

All are nicely organised now and the whole kitchen has been cleaned literally from top to bottom so feeling much happier now..I hate it when it gets in a state..(shame the rest of the house doesn't bother me quite as much :o:o:o )

Hope everyone had a wonderful Xmas and has a smashing New Year I'll catch up when I can being thrown off again..I suppose I'd better get my duster out lol.........
  • lil_me
    lil_me Posts: 13,186 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    oooooo that's a good website, thanks D&DD :D oh and please stop reminding me that Lakeland have a website, I have still resisted the 'urge' to look on there :o we don't have one of their shops up here that I am aware of so have never been in to one.

:o darn it someone dropped a Kleeneze book through my door today, hmmm, maybe I should set myself a limit as to how much I spend, I am a nightmare for the gadgets in there aswell.

**passes D&DD the duster, new flylady thread will be posted tonight :D*
    One day I might be more organised...........:confused:
    GC: £200
    Slinkies target 2018 - another 70lb off (half way to what the NHS says) so far 25lb
  • natzini
    natzini Posts: 561 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hello everyone!

I'm trying to shop from home for at least this week-wish me luck! I think that all we'll need is milk and potatoes, so that's not too bad! Would be lovely to do it for more than one week-I think I might need some fruit, veg, milk and a little meat, but that's not bad, right?

I'm going to be going through the kitchen cupboards today and making a list of all the stuff I have, already have loads of ideas. Tonight we are having curry as I found some poppadoms which need eating up asap-their use by was the 19th, but I've already tasted one and it's not stale! Tomorrow it'll be a roast in the evening to make up for today-will be chicken breast wrapped around sausage meat with tatties and veg.

Un sou est un sou
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport