PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Family of 5 'shop from home'food storage challenge...

Options

Comments

• morwenna
    morwenna Posts: 844 Forumite
    Options
    D&DD wrote: »
    ooh I saw those when I was browsing the Lakelands sale...:whistle: I didn't buy much..honest :silenced: Mainly new jar lids and bits...and bobs...:o They look like a really good gadget but am now wondering if my pizza cutter might do the same job..will have to try it out later :D

Just dropped back in here after checking out from Lakeland :rotfl:

It seems great minds think alike! DD2 needed a new lunch bag - honest! I am not sure that I needed a new traybake pan or a silicon doughnut mould though! I blame Dee for the doughnut mould, its dropping in here that made me want one :rotfl: Still, I used the DW1 code so got it all for less :D
  • bonsibabe
    bonsibabe Posts: 1,055 Forumite
    Options
    Ok as promised here is another of my soon-to-be-famous seasoning recipes. It makes great cajun chicken!

Again i use equal quanitities of each:

Garlic granules, Thyme, Cayenne, Oregano, Turmeric, Coriander, Parsley, Chives, Paprika, Onion granules. I also add a little salt and ground pepper.

If you don't have Turmeric and Cayenne pepper, you can also use Curry powder. I tend to put a tablespoon of curry powder in mine anyway. I also add a tablespoon of chilli flakes as well just for colour (and a little kick!)

Another kiddie favourite!

Di xx :A
    LBM - August 2008 - Debts then - £33390 :eek:- 2nd LBM - November 2009 - Debts then - £18500:mad:
    Current debt levels: OD £3860, Loan 1 £6091, Loan 2 £5052, Parents £260, Total £16133 :eek: As at 01 May 2012 - 51.69% paid off :j
    Aiming for a No Spend Christmas 2012!
  • D&DD
    D&DD Posts: 4,405 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks bonsibabe Cajun is a favourite in our house :D This got me thinking too :wink: I have most of these herbs etc which I dehydrated from the garden earlier this year....so the only one which needs to be 'shop bought' is the turmeric...homegrown Cajun seasoning will save me a small fortune!!
    Keep them coming :D
    Morwenna lol I know I just 'had' to have a new flour sifter,thermos lunchpot and burgerpress too...ooh and a new roll of easyleave...:o
  • bonsibabe
    bonsibabe Posts: 1,055 Forumite
    Options
    D&DD - hubby has just told me if you can grow saffron - you don't need to use turmeric, as its only really for colouring
    LBM - August 2008 - Debts then - £33390 :eek:- 2nd LBM - November 2009 - Debts then - £18500:mad:
    Current debt levels: OD £3860, Loan 1 £6091, Loan 2 £5052, Parents £260, Total £16133 :eek: As at 01 May 2012 - 51.69% paid off :j
    Aiming for a No Spend Christmas 2012!
  • jcr16
    jcr16 Posts: 4,185 Forumite
    Options
    wow , i have been feeling alot better today. flu virus feels like it is slowly going. i blitzed all of upstairs took nearly all day. pulled out the kids bed's foudn all sorts. washed the walls , hoovered , dusted , sorted , threw out. shattered now, but also very motivated.

i came on here and i have read this thread from start to finish writing out all the recipes in my new note book with my nice new foutain pen. i started at half 6 this evening and have only just done.

Couple of q's tho.

Ddd , in one of your posts at begining on thread u mention a lord woolton or similar pie . what is this please ? i did google it but it came up with loads of war details i wasn't sure what i was looking at.

I have got loads of thigns to be getting on with. My hubbys nan visited yesterday and gave us a new george foreman grill. she gave us one a few years ago , but we used to so much the coating all came off. so chuffed to have another one. can't wait to start using it again.

I made a scrummy meal tonight. it was from an easy cook mag xmas 2005. beef and bean shepard pie type meal. omg it was gorgeous. Both kids ate seconds. which is amazing.

i am planning on making some rainbow cakes tomoz for the kiddies.plus need to make some bits for hubby lunch box as he back at work on wednesday.

looking forward to getting back into the swing of this thread.
  • rosieben
    rosieben Posts: 5,010 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi there

There is a recipe for Lord wooltons pie here http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?p=5517824&highlight=lord+woolton#post5517824 in post no 86. This was a wartime thread started by trhiftlady which was a huge success. there are quite a few recipes on there too.
    hth :)
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string! :D

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
  • jcr16
    jcr16 Posts: 4,185 Forumite
    Options
    thanks for that rosieben.

it didn't even occur to me to search the mse board. :rotfl:

sounds an interesting pie.when it asks for root veg i imagine u can put in any root veg:confused:
  • Mollymop5
    Mollymop5 Posts: 2,095 Forumite
    Options
    Hi everyone.I also have been doing a catch up.I've copied some recipes that will be halpful to me keeping my budget in January's grocery challenge.I wish you all well in the New Year :)
    lost my way but now I'm back ! roll on 2013
    spc member 72

• natzini
    natzini Posts: 561 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Morning all!

I spent most of yesterday clearing, cleaning and sorting out the food cupboards... what a chore, but I now have a nice, long inventory. After looking at everything, I really think that we can get by for the next two weeks on less than £20, which is great, we might be able to do more than that which is excellent.
    So I'm making a list of the few things we need to get through this week properly (I have fruit and veg, but we need milk, potatoes, yogurt and butter, wholewheat flour...that kind of stuff) and made a loaf yesterday-I'm off work til the 7th so can have 'on toast' for lunch every day as I have lots of tins of beans and sausages, ravioli, spag etc as well as loads of beans!

I got paid today but it's £20 less than usual as I've started paying back my student loan, arghhh! Very annoying but it needs doing. Thing is, I think that I'll be able to claim back a few of those payments through shopping from home as much as possible this month, which is fab. I think I might be able to feed us on about a third of the usual spend, but don't hold me for it! I'm also working on Sunday, so after tax I'd've paid off my Christmas pressies with my extra job, yay!

Right, had better get ready and get into town, I bet that Mr Ts will be hell, but hopefully can pick OH up from work on the way back :)

Un sou est un sou
  • Maisie_M
    Maisie_M Posts: 1,524 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi all

have been reading this thread for ages and have tried some of the wonderful recipies already but need to get into doing more home made stuff and my store cupbaords are groaning with supplies. In addition a frugle January (and rest of 2008!!:o ) is required so I am going to try and do as much as I can from what I have and try grow some fruit and veg and make some other things from scratch.

One thing i would like as I couldnt find it on here was D&DD's recipies for Cajucn Chicken, Thai Green chicken and chicken curry as they are all ones that I would normally by an extortionate ready made sauce for. If I could make them in bulk and freeze them that would be great.

Many thanks and happy new year to all

Maisie
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family