Great "Best Generic Products" Hunt

Options

Comments

• SarahNeedle1872
    SarahNeedle1872 Posts: 6,166 Forumite
    Options
    I'm convinced that Wilko own brand shower gel is the same as Radox - OH's been using it for ages and not noticed, and he's dead fussy about stuff like that!

Sarah x
    'We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars' - Oscar Wilde
  • weebro
    weebro Posts: 36 Forumite
    Options
    Lidl chocolate, as good or better than cadbury's and much cheaper.
    :hello: weebro
  • Agrajag
    Agrajag Posts: 86 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I'm convinced that Wilko own brand shower gel is the same as Radox - OH's been using it for ages and not noticed, and he's dead fussy about stuff like that!

Sarah x

...well he knows now...

Anyway, people have mentioned LIDL ham, but I have to put in my vote for the ALDI 'Air-Dried Ham'
    Very similar to Parma Ham at a very silly price (£1.29 for 150g I think).
    Is lovely eaten on its own, but is excellent at wrapping foods for cooking (cut open a chicken breast, put in some Mozarella (also good from Aldi) and herbs or tomatoes. Then roll the chicken up in the Ham, and in foil, and poach for 10-15 minutes. Then remove the foli and brown it in a frying pan
    Serve cut at an angle once, or in slices. Loks and tastes fabulous

Hmm .. This has turned into a recipe post. Innappropriate, perhaps, but it is a very good use of the ham.

Neal
  • Mercenary
    Mercenary Posts: 627 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Morrisons own brand frozen yorkshire puddings are even better than Aunt Bessies! cheaper too! Go on, give 'em a go!:o

And making them (2oz Plain Flour,pinch salt, I egg and 1/4 pint of milk+water,15-20 mins in oven) is even tastier....and cheaper! ;)

Tesco's 'Weetabix'-a-like is nicer than the real thing. It stays crisper for longer in the milk.
    I second the vote for Tesco value choc digestives too. Yum.
  • John_Pierpoint
    John_Pierpoint Posts: 8,391 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?p=3015368&highlight=bull#post3015368

It might keep you (and me :eek:) alive one night on the motorway.
  • tasty_snacks
    tasty_snacks Posts: 227 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    can't fault sainsburys' basic madeira cake. better than the labels, and less than 1/2 the price at 49p. also, nothing wrong with the basic tinned baked beans (no, they're not almost completely full of juice anymore!) and tinned spaghetti (great on toast with a bit of cheese!). i'd echo the praise of the basic loo-role, too.

also, go for their rice pudding. it has almost the same amount of fat/sugar as the ambrosia 'diet' option, and is 40p less per can at 19p!!! another tasty dessert are the creme caramels- pot of 4 for 40p. yum yum.
  • Gas_head_3
    Options
    Sainsburys Basic Bran Flakes are exactly the same as Kellogg's, but only 71p for 750g compared to £1.64 for 500g.

Basic tinned tomatos are good too (not all water as you might expect), as are Sainsburys own brand tinned tuna (half the price of John West)
  • Slothy
    Slothy Posts: 79 Forumite
    Options
    Lidl Orange juice (especially the one in the glass bottles) is simply fantastic. Also their parmesan cheese. We also think the Lidl 4-ply toilet paper is the best we've ever tried.
  • graham3434
    Options
    I dont know who makes them, but they taste very good, even better than McVs.

Spotted McVs Rich Tea in Iceland yesterday at 2 for £1 !
  • candygirl
    candygirl Posts: 29,455 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Aldi cornflakes-lovely and crispy-59p box
    Aldi Ballycastle irish cream-same as baileys but a fraction of price.
    Morrisons 70% less fat crisps- same as walkers lites-69p for six.
    Aldi choc ice cream lollies -same as magnums. 99p.
    Aldi power force bathroom cleaner-brilliant stuff but i can't remember how much.:p :p
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

(Kabat-Zinn 2004):D:D:D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family