»

Great "Best Generic Products" Hunt

New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: NEW MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH 31/3
RESCUE FLIGHTS FOR STRANDED BRITS * SCHOOL MEALS VOUCHERS * BRIGHTHOUSE COLLAPSES

Great "Best Generic Products" Hunt

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Shop but don't drop
141 replies 54.4K views
MSE_MartinMSE_Martin Money Saving ExpertMoneySaving Expert
8.3K posts
✭✭✭✭
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Shop but don't drop
Generic products are much cheaper than expensive brand names, so I want to tap MoneySavers’ knowledge to find which own-brand goods are the best.

Which cola tastes as good as Coke, which bog roll is softer than Andrex and which biscuits are yummier than Jaffa cakes?

Please put your recommendations for the best own brand/value products than are much cheaper than the real thing.

threadbanner.gif
Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.
Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.
Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000

Replies

• neiljc_2neiljc_2 Forumite
    258 posts
    okay then to start it off

Asda`s brand of diet cola tastes as good as Diet Coca Cola if not better.

My favourite sweet is Marathon(Snickers-go back to America) and Asda and Tescos versions are just as nice and half the price.

Neil
  • pulliptearspulliptears Forumite
    14.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lidl's Iron Brew is identical, if not nicer than Barr's Irn Bru, and only 29p a bottle :)
    "Gggggrrrrrr Rrrraaaahhh Rrrrrrggghhhhnn" - Chewbacca (The Empire Strikes Back)
  • LOOYATESLOOYATES Users Awaiting Email Confirmation
    68 posts
    HI A COUPLE OF YEARS AGO I WORKED IN AN ICE CREAM FACTORY, ALL THE CHOC ICES WE MADE SUPPLIED MOST OF THE TOP SUPERMARKETS, CHEAP PRICED AND NOT SO CHEAP WERE ALL MADE ON THE SAME LINE, SAME WITH MAGNUMS ETC AND STORES OWN BRAND, BOTH THE SAME, JUST PACKAGED, DIFFERENTLY, HAD TO LEAVE THOUGH, WAS GETTING FAR TOO FAT EATING STAFF SALES TO FIT INTO MY LOVELY BOILERSUIT AND WELLIES, RESEMBLED AN OOMPA LOOMPAH!:eek:
    pats :T
  • I used to drink Gaymer's Olde English Strong Dry Cider. Then they increased the price and decreased the strength in one fell swoop.

I looked for an alternative and I reckon Asda's Premium Strong Dry Cider is actually Strongbow. Same strength (5.3%), same colour and for me, same taste. Yet Strongbow sells for as much as £3.99 for 2 litres (Co-op) with Asda's own being just £2.42 for 3 litres. At just over 80p per litre, it's almost as cheap as apple juice. Cheers!
  • I like Asda's own brand 'Shades' loo roll. I used to use Andrex and I find the Asda stuff is stronger, but just as soft, while being a fraction of the price! It usually works out cheapest in the 24 pack, although there are often '% extra free' offers too. :)
    strawberrymuesli
  • zcaprd7zcaprd7 Forumite
    1.1K posts
    Tesco value toilet roll, I'm sure this stuff has got better?

And, at 10p a roll when you get a 12 pack its a big money saver - everyone "doubles up" anyway!
  • laura1976laura1976 Forumite
    298 posts
    Sainsburys stain remover is great, the one that's in a tub like vanish oxy. Don't like own brand washing up liquid though, never found anything nearly as good as fairy.
    Smokefree since 27-9-2007
  • adewtonadewton Forumite
    89 posts
    zcaprd7 wrote: »
    Tesco value toilet roll, I'm sure this stuff has got better?
    !
    And, at 10p a roll when you get a 12 pack its a big money saver - everyone "doubles up" anyway!

I concur!

!
    .wysiwyg !! background-attachment: scroll; background-repeat: repeat; background-position: 0% 0%; background-color: #ffffff; background-image: none; color: #000000; font-family: Verdana, Arial, Arial; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: 400; font-size: 10pt; line-height: normal } p !! margin: 0px; }
    :jDON'T STEAL!!! Government HATES competition!:D Pay your tax and make voluntary contributions to the government! :A:T
  • DanniDanni Forumite
    345 posts
    Asda's Smartprice Cookies are the nicest I've ever tasted, and at 29p a pack are a good price, too :)
    Purple Penguin Power!
  • SlickmanSlickman Forumite
    19 posts
    At larger Tesco stores you can buy 'Own Brand' Diet Cola with Almond, which to me tastes identical to Dr Pepper!

It only costs about 43p for 2 litres.