PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Hey.... Lets keep Chickens..!

Options

Comments

• bugs
    bugs Posts: 186 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    culpepper wrote:
    I'd like chickens.Do you have to have a cockerel to start them off laying or do they lay anyway but just no chicks?

No, no cockerel needed at all (in fact they may be more trouble than they're worth). Rare breed sellers are alleged to want to sell you a trio with a cockerel but I haven't heard of anyone firsthand - you can also consider adopting ex-battery hens.
  • johanne
    johanne Posts: 1,830 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    id love to have chickens but we have a "no livestock" including chickens clause in our house deeds...:( Dad wouldnt let us anyway i dont think.
  • gritts
    gritts Posts: 527 Forumite
    Options
    This chicken poo issue....... is it mainly 'firm', ie scoopupable or runny, ie hosedownable.

I know chickens can have a bout of dodgy stomachs like humans so it could be runny but generally..... hard / firm / soft / runny? It is an issue as we have 2 toddlers, I see the benefits from having pets (that lay free eggs) but then the poop issue and enquiring minds.

What has my life become..... discussing poo on the web.
  • beadysam
    beadysam Posts: 587 Forumite
    Options
    I've hatched out 17 babies. They are 3 weeks old now, with feathers and starting to fly. There is nothing so calming as sitting feeding your babies plum from your hand as they fly onto your knee or perch on your shoulder...
    They are not smelly at all really - and my babies are indoors in a small area still. If you have any room please consider hens - especially ex-battery hens. My ex-batterys will be collected sometime over the next couple of weeks.
    SAM x
  • JAMIEDODGER
    JAMIEDODGER Posts: 4,339 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    hi there...i have just got my 3 chickens delivered this morning.......they are flying about a bit do i need to clip their wings and if so how?
    November NSD's - 7
  • chrislee765
    Options
    hi there...i have just got my 3 chickens delivered this morning.......they are flying about a bit do i need to clip their wings and if so how?
    im jealous

Find a job you love and you'll never work a day in your life.
  • JAMIEDODGER
    Options
    whats stopping you chris? i live just down the road from you in sunny bognor!!! i asked my neighbours if they minded....and found out that 4 or 5 of them used to keep chickens at one point or another!!!
    November NSD's - 7
  • chrislee765
    Options
    Whats stopping me?

My mother.
    Im only 18 and so she decides what goes :(
    Shame.

Find a job you love and you'll never work a day in your life.
  • Sarahsaver
    Sarahsaver Posts: 8,390 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    chicken poo - hose it into the lawn or put it in the compost bin
    wings - get someone to help you, one of you sit with the hen in front of you facing away, hold it firmly and open one wing out, cut off the long feather tips - you will see where the blood vessels are so as long as you don't cut into them you will be ok.
    enjoy:) I have had hens for a few months and they have more than paid for themselves in free range organic eggs, and quite a few double yolkers. The eggs will start off tiny but get bigger when the hens are settled.
    Member no.1 of the 'I'm not in a clique' group :rotfl:
    I have done reading too!
    To avoid all evil, to do good,
    to purify the mind- that is the
    teaching of the Buddhas.
  • JAMIEDODGER
    Options
    oh lol :D us mums are real party poopers sometimes!
    November NSD's - 7
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport