PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Hey.... Lets keep Chickens..!

Comments

• okay no need to rub it in sarah :p

Find a job you love and you'll never work a day in your life.
  • Hi,
    Looks like i may be allowed chickens!
    What breeds do you have, i dont want bantums, i want full size chickens. More eggs, Less broodiness and generally all round good birds. (am i asking for everything)
    Anyone reccomend some?

• leonie_2
    leonie_2 Posts: 517 Forumite
    I've got good old isa browns (warrens) these are the type bred for battery farms as they have a large amount of eggs in the first year.

Once mine started laying (week or so after getting them, the first one started laying) they were small, but now huge and all three lay every day!

The eggs are wonderful, I share them with my mother and if there are any spares we give them away, everyone comments on how lovely they are!

Thanks to SarahSaver, who helped me find my chicks, you can tell im happy with them!
  • thanks but i cant find anything in my chicken book about warrens. Do they have another name at all?

• leonie_2
    leonie_2 Posts: 517 Forumite
    Yup, if you check my last post you'll see I also called em isa browns :-)
  • Sarahsaver
    Sarahsaver Posts: 8,390 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    My hens were vary happy when i had my utility room re-roofed last week, they went on a pecking spree for grit in amongst the rubble, and produced extra heavy duty hard shelled eggs! :rolleyes:
    Member no.1 of the 'I'm not in a clique' group :rotfl:
    I have done reading too!
    To avoid all evil, to do good,
    to purify the mind- that is the
    teaching of the Buddhas.
  • Curry_Queen
    Curry_Queen Posts: 5,589 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Sarahsaver wrote:
    My hens were vary happy when i had my utility room re-roofed last week, they went on a pecking spree for grit in amongst the rubble, and produced extra heavy duty hard shelled eggs! :rolleyes:

We always used to provide our hens with grit anyway, either in a bowl or scattered on the ground, as they need it to aid digestion which helps prevent crop problems. This is why you'll find eggs from free-range hens have much tougher shells than battery raised hens which almost never receive any grit in their diet and have poor health as a consequence :)

Just to add, it's not the grit that forms the tougher shells but it's because the birds receiving grit are much healthier therefore provide better eggs ;)
    "An Ye Harm None, Do What Ye Will"
    ~
    It is that what you do, good or bad,
    will come back to you three times as strong!

• Is there a website that lists where i can buy chickens from. I'm stuck to where i can get them from. Ive tried Adtrader and nothing in my local area. I live in Hayling Island / Hampshire.
    Thanks.

• beadysam
    beadysam Posts: 587 Forumite
    Hiya
    I would suggest you look at this website and consider taking some ex battery hens:
    http://www.thehenshouse.co.uk/

If you would like to find out more about chickens I would suggest buying a copy of Practical Poultry Magazine. It has loads of info on all sorts of poultry and a huge list of breeders. There is also a website where you can ask loads of questions - there are also birds for sale:
    http://www.practicalpoultry.co.uk/forum/
  • JAMIEDODGER
    JAMIEDODGER Posts: 4,339 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    chris...i live in bognor and i got my chickens from SPR in fontwell and their chicken house too

https://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/spr/

hope this helps and by the way i got my first eggs at the weekend hooray!
    November NSD's - 7
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport