PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

The NEW waiting to exchange thread...

Options

Comments

• MS47
    MS47 Posts: 2 Newbie
    Options
    We are FTB and offered on a house in Feb and were hoping to exchange and complete next month. We are currenlty in a lease until the end of July but the vendors had offered on a property and the chain ended above them so we were being flexible and taking the hit of rent and mortgage for a month so that they could move earlier. They have now advised us that their purchase has fallen through but they are going to move into rented if they can't find somewhere but they wont move until the end of July. We are happy for them to delay but we can't do the last week of July for various reasons and beyond this we wont have a lease anymore. We have asked for the week before but they have said it has to be the end of July. I feel bad that their purchsse has fallen through and they may have to move to rented but am I being unreasonable pushing for a date a week before their preferred date?
  • GBR78
    GBR78 Posts: 61 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    warnerr88 wrote: »
    Was hoping to be closer to exchange this week but looks like it will drag into next week now. Chased up last week and my solicitor told me they was waiting on the sellers solicitor as they don't have the certificate for the boiler installation so needed an indemnity policy. Rang up today and was hoping for some news but still waiting on it. How long does it take to get one of those?

We've just had to go through this as it turns out our boiler was never registered when it was installed by British Gas 4.5 years ago. They came back out to us at the weekend, the form was submitted Tuesday and we had an email later the same day to say that it had been registered. Still waiting on the building regs certificate but it at least shows on the Gas Safe register now. I thought an indemnity policy was an instant thing once it had been booked...

PS; you're not our buyers are you?? ;)

In other news for ours, really hoping for an exchange today, with completion Monday/Tuesday.......tick tock.....
  • Coldfy
    Coldfy Posts: 17 Forumite
    Options
    Coldfy wrote: »
    Hi all!

We’re finally waiting to exchange! FTB, offer accepted on amazing property 8/3. Going through all the paperwork now and shocked at the lack of accuracy from sellers documentation!

We *think* we’re in a short chain (our vendor is buying from end of chain), but its really difficult to get confirmation of that or dates from EA or solicitor. No dates have been proposed yet.

Does anyone know how to stop the EA chasing us every 2 days? We’ve done everything as fast as we can but he keeps phoning and emailing asking for things that are out of our control!

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

I can’t believe I thought we were waiting to exchange on the first of April!! How naive we were!

We are currently on holiday, awaiting a call from the solicitor to confirm that we’re exchanging today (email sent to other solicitor last night). I can’t believe how much of a palaver buying a house is.

We had huge issues with getting a mortgage due to a series of clerical errors, taking 8 weeks in the end. Plus the searches took an age, contained loads of errors and weren’t even direct from the council. On top of that our structural survey isn’t really worth the paper its written on, the estate agent is a duplicitous so and so, and no-one barring our solicitor knows how to use the ‘cc’ function on emails.

There’s definitely room for reform in this sector, its cringeworthy how inefficient it all is.

Mini rant over now, fingers crossed we exchange today, and things move back into our control!
  • warnerr88
    warnerr88 Posts: 29 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    GBR78 wrote: »
    We've just had to go through this as it turns out our boiler was never registered when it was installed by British Gas 4.5 years ago. They came back out to us at the weekend, the form was submitted Tuesday and we had an email later the same day to say that it had been registered. Still waiting on the building regs certificate but it at least shows on the Gas Safe register now. I thought an indemnity policy was an instant thing once it had been booked...

PS; you're not our buyers are you?? ;)

In other news for ours, really hoping for an exchange today, with completion Monday/Tuesday.......tick tock.....

When we were told about it last week did hope when I chased up yesterday that it would have progressed so was disappointing for it not to have. Just hate the waiting as not a lot we can do, and don't really want be ringing up every single day :wall:
  • GoingOn30
    GoingOn30 Posts: 231 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    MS47 you're not being unreasonable but at the same time neither party can force the other to agree to their preferred completion date.
    Have you looked into whether you could extend your lease for a week or 2? Many landlords would agree to this with this much notice.
    If not you might need to make it worth your sellers while to agree to your preferred date.
  • GBR78
    GBR78 Posts: 61 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    GBR78 wrote: »

How quickly things change. Despite being told two days ago that the buyers solicitor will email a contract for them to sign and return by post ready for exchange today, i'm now told that the solicitor won't do that and the buyer has to wait for their posted copy to arrive. By the time they have that, sign it and return it, it will be Monday before any exchange can happen. With the buyer needing completion on Tuesday (due to their current rental period being up then), that now leaves us (I say 'us' but with the wife at work it will be 'me') needing to make sure everything is out and the place is cleaned on completion day - not our ideal situation given the lack of available people on the day. That's if the removal company are available.....
  • CHlHlRO
    CHlHlRO Posts: 95 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    We!!!8217;re just waiting for the top of the chain to confirm they!!!8217;re okay with the completion date. Anything I can do from here, right at the bottom of it?
  • loobiej1
    loobiej1 Posts: 55 Forumite
    Options
    Hello
    my solicitor tells me file in dictation with sellers solicitors? im not sure what this means either. does anyone else know?
  • dunroving
    dunroving Posts: 1,881 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    CHlHlRO wrote: »
    We!!!8217;re just waiting for the top of the chain to confirm they!!!8217;re okay with the completion date. Anything I can do from here, right at the bottom of it?

You could try prayer. ;)
    (Nearly) dunroving
  • FloProActiv
    FloProActiv Posts: 20 Forumite
    Options
    At what point can I relax?
    I know the answer is really not until I've got the keys :p but solicitors have our deposit and contracts, mortgage funds have been requested from the lender, and a completion date of next Friday (18th) agreed with the seller. Plan is to exchange as soon as the mortgage lender confirms funds. We're FTBs, and seller is selling a former rental property, so no chain.

At the moment, it feels like tempting fate to organise anything (e.g. time off, packing, etc). Boyfriend doesn't feel same - he's already booked completion day off, and I came home last night to find that he had taken all the posters off the walls of our flat...
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback