Making cash from online survey sites - new MSE guide

Options

Comments

• gropinginthedark
    Options
    Most rubbish incentive?
    I just got an invitation from Waitrose to complete a survey to be entered in a £500 prize draw. My committment would be a 45 minute initial survey then complete a daily diary for a week at up to 10 minutes each day (though I could be lazy and only complete it on 3 of those days). Not just that but, although the info would be confidential, it would be used to better target me with Waitrose offers and vouchers.
    Oh yes the £500 in the remote chance of winning the draw, wouldn't be cash but waitrose vouchers (which will cost them half as much as if they gave cash).

So the cost of entry is at least one and a quarter hour's of your time - on statutory minimum wage that equates to around £8. That's a lot for such a small chance of a small prize.
    I think the socio-economic background of the average waitrose shopper would imply their hourly income range to be an order of magnitude greater than statutory minimum. So a more realistic "cost of your time to participate" calculation might be £80. A better option would be to spend £80 on national lottery tickets - a good chance of getting a small prize and a tiny chance of getting something worthwhile. But of that nearly £8 would go to the government, a further over £3 to admin and only £40 into the prize fund so my advice is spend it all on chocolate.
  • ZanBan
    ZanBan Posts: 1 Newbie
    edited 15 November 2014 at 12:58PM
    Options
    Hi I am new to the Forums but I've used this site for ages. I have just signed up with Pinecone and as I know this company is hard to sign up to I thought I'd let people know how I did it.

You need to go to the freepostcodelottery site which is recommended elsewhere on MoneySavingExpert and look for the list of Top Paid Survey sites (currently on the right of the screen but it moves a bit). Click on more info and comments under Pinecone and in a green box on the main screen there is a link to sign up. There were 30 spaces available when I checked just now.
  • Jessi86x
    Options
    Xmas coming up this is just the thing I need!!
  • ramiawad
    Options
    online survey sites only offer little reward.
  • h15t0r1an
    Options
    Just an update after my message above. Seems a few of us weren't getting the rewards we had ordered on Swagbucks

Out of the 2 rewards I ordered 5 minutes apart, after much chasing the second one was finally paid many many weeks late.

I completed just enough surveys to make existing points into another reward and have now dumped Swagbucks. Surveys take too much effort to be messed around like this.

I'm also dumping Toluna. Too many Toluna surveys screen out after many many screens of hugely detailed data being collected that is far beyond anything needed for screenout. Nothing inconsistent was entered. Lots of surveys Toluna directs you to don't seem to credit at all. About 25% of those credited recently, but they sit there for many weeks till they credit. When surveys they refer to you fail - I'm looking at you, mysurvey! or failed to credit Toluna says they can't do anything about that. When you report surveys have crashed after nearly all the data being entered - you can tell because the survey is just hoovering up a little demographic info at the end - Toluna fails to take responsibility. The most you might get is that sometimes they've even sent the same survey out again a few days later saying it's now available and ask you to do the whole thing again. No mention of credit for work done on the same survey earlier and not even an apology for wasting people's time.

Rewards take 8 weeks to pay out after ordering after all this mess?Toluna is just too much trouble. The feeling I have developed is that they are not dealing ethically. I've rounded up to my final reward and dumping them.

Just what I felt from my experience with Toluna and Swagbucks. Now spending the scarce time I have each week for surveys, on much more honest-feeling and productive companies kindly mentioned by other posters here. Thank you! YMMV.
  • bouboumum
    Options
    Absolutely same feelings about Toluna and Swagbucks as the last post. I've dumped Swagbucks long ago and was just about to cash out my £ 30 when they changed it from 160000 points for £ 30 to 180000 for £ 35 so I have to waist many more hours and wait God knows how long for this extra 5 quid but then I am out.
  • SavingKirky
    Options
    Hello, I've been on my survey UK and opinion outpost UK for the past week and got some points but worried about using paypal to withdraw, Am I right to be concerned?

Also heard it takes weeks to get something paid in or sometimes they don't even pay you?

Am I wasting my time?, Thanks.
  • ted24
    ted24 Posts: 178 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hello, I've been on my survey UK and opinion outpost UK for the past week and got some points but worried about using paypal to withdraw, Am I right to be concerned?

Also heard it takes weeks to get something paid in or sometimes they don't even pay you?

Opinion Outpost pay you immediately with no issues.

No experience of the other site.
  • chels
    chels Posts: 1,287 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post Photogenic
    Options

I use both those survey sites and have never had any problems with being paid. MySurvey takes about 2 weeks to be paid into your Paypal account and Opinion Outpost pay immediately.
  • SavingKirky
    Options
    Thanks a lot really appreciate the help, Also one last thing what other sites are good and pay fast?

Thanks for your time.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure