PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one (Mark Three)

Options

Comments

• Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,229 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 16 February 2018 at 3:46PM
    Options
    But the sole non greengrocery food item that's down on it is milk - as in dairy milk (as I'm a bit half-and-half currently re whether milk is dairy milk or plant mylk). Put like that - well I don't like to think too closely where it's come from either....

Well I guess at least it hasn't been butchered for me to eat it (ie meat) .

Not quite true, I guess you know what happens to the calves who should be drinking the milk. I know, but still use milk, and eat lamb, or I would do if they were not all Halal slaughtered, but not labeled as such, these days

Hops off hobby horse, back to CFO

Another sunny day, and more daffs out now, even over 60c today in my unheated conservatory. Spot of mini gardening, pruned the outdoor fuchsia which was starting to sprout into growth

Into L to mooch and get the meat offer. There seems to be two batches today, same stuff, but later lot BBE 22 is much smaller chunks, with fatty bits. The earlier BB stuff, BB 20, this is what I & I assume PN have, big meaty non fatty chunks. I obviously picked the better ones which scanned at correct price BTW

Two YS, one the lovely chilli con carne 1.25, only one pack left, plus some mini pork pies.

lunch was 2 of the mini P pies, with piccalilli
    Dinner, I think will be the LO beef stew, just nuked as is, no dumplings today

Decided the YS cauli will be souped tomorrow, and bread pud making is also a tomorrow job. But things may change as they sometimes do in CFO world
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    moneyistooshorttomention Posts: 17,940 Forumite
    edited 16 February 2018 at 3:56PM
    Options
    Yep...I do know re the calves Farway - hence the dilemma.

The other thing being the thought of where it comes from - cows udders - yuk! Though I didn't have a lot of chance of avoiding anything in that connection right from Day 1. Thanks mother (not) - I'd really rather she'd never mentioned to me how she'd breastfed me as a baby_pale_. I'm assuming she thought I'd be pleased - ie because of it being "natural" (not made in a factory).

I'd been innocently assuming I'd been bottle-fed - because I remembered my younger brother having been bottle-fed as a baby - so I thought that was her "policy". That - and Farley's rusks....

Now dinner tonight - Indian style spinach and tomatoes (from current cookbook) and I think I might have a go at making tortillas with it (goodness knows I've been meaning to try for a while). I also chucked a mini bottle of wine into my trolley - courtesy of thinking "At - long - last I've had a letter from my bank about my free travel insurance that was due at the end of last year. So I've nagged and I've nagged and I've nagged - and, finally, I lost my temper. The letter has finally turned up two months late today". I thought that warranted a glass of wine with dinner tonight.
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    (Late) lunch is a smallish portion of chips topped with a half portion of curry :)

Pizza planned later, so "saving myself" so to speak.
  • mcculloch29
    mcculloch29 Posts: 4,972 Forumite
    Rampant Recycler
    Options
    Just had nibbly stuff for lunch, as it was the Age UK shopping trip this morning.
    We were incredibly late back, as one lady demanded the bus ferry her from Supermarket A to Supermarket B at the shopping centre.

That's not in their remit, although they did it, as if she had walked it, she would have held the bus up even longer. She was also late out for the bus, hey-ho...

The volunteer helper for the shopping trip is a good friend, and my shopping was brought in to the house for me. She trotted off with a just published novel in return.

I investigated Home Bargains and Lidl, we don't have either of these shops, despite my town having a larger population. We have a very small town centre with sky high rents and restrictive covenants on expansion. We were lucky to get Aldi.

I was so pleased to see that Home Bargains had Marvel, two tubs of that bought. I use it a lot for cooking.
    Lidl has started doing Nespresso capsules, same price as Aldi. Lots of nice tempting nibbly things for me, plus cheese and cold meats, missed these while I haven't been to shops..

PN, the toastie maker was free to review, from Amazon, so I can't complain. It doesn't take really thick fillings though, so I will try your method with those, thank you. .
    I bought Galpharm's Gaviscon equivalent for nearly £2 cheaper, in HB, same ingredients. Tummy seems ok, touch wood.

A biting wind, but no ice or snow, and we should stay clear, though temps are forecast to stay only just above zero, and no more than 5 degrees for a few weeks yet.

Mixed feelings with the local council. They have installed a dropped kerb at the end of my block of houses, whoo-hoo, everywhere else had one years ago, and it's at the access to the local play park, so was needed. This was at my specific request. No more whacking the trike tyres off kerbs or getting bogged down on the muddy grass, because that was where the kerb was lowest.

However, I requested assistance with getting my bin emptied today, it was approved, but didn't happen. Bin is still full.
    Ah. Reported. Their online systems work well, so it should get done.
    Erma Bombeck, American writer: "If I had my life to live over again... I would have burned the pink candle, sculptured like a rose, that melted in storage." Don't keep things 'for best' - that day never comes. Use them and enjoy them now.
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,091 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Good afternoon,
    It is definitely marginally less baltic here today. I actually managed to air the house without freezing...:)

I had a really refreshing snooze after lunch (must have been the pasta:D) and have done a "provisional" meal plan (while trying to eat a very juicy orange :rotfl:)to cover until next Friday. I'm hoping current supplies will more or less last until 07/03 so I can time my next shop with my son's birthday.:)

Meals planned this week are:
    • chicken kiev, oven chips, flat mushroom and tomato
    • steak, griddled potato slices, flat mushroom, onion, runner beans and probably peppercorn sauce
    • pork steak, root veg mash, sprouts, peppercorn sauce (or gravy)
    • shredded duck leg (I've a cooked one lurking in the freezer), stir fried veg and rice or noodles
    • HM lamb doner, ratatouille, tzatziki and greek pitta
    • salmon, sweet potato and ratatouille
    • spinach & ricotta lasagne
    • mince round, peas/carrots/corn, oven chips, gravy
    Breakfasts (if I have it) will be the usual toast and fruit and lunches soup/sarnie or LOs.

I'm certainly finding that meal planning even if it does go awry is really helping me reduce my shopping frequency and food spends.:D
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,229 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Just had nibbly stuff for lunch, as it was the Age UK shopping trip this morning.
    We were incredibly late back, as one lady demanded the bus ferry her from Supermarket A to Supermarket B at the shopping centre.

That's not in their remit, although they did it, as if she had walked it, she would have held the bus up even longer. She was also late out for the bus, hey-ho...

The volunteer helper for the shopping trip is a good friend, and my shopping was brought in to the house for me. She trotted off with a just published novel in return.

Mixed feelings with the local council. They have installed a dropped kerb at the end of my block of houses, whoo-hoo, everywhere else had one years ago, and it's at the access to the local play park, so was needed. This was at my specific request. No more whacking the trike tyres off kerbs or getting bogged down on the muddy grass, because that was where the kerb was lowest.

However, I requested assistance with getting my bin emptied today, it was approved, but didn't happen. Bin is still full.
    Ah. Reported. Their online systems work well, so it should get done.

Coach trip, some folk, old or young, can be a right PITA and plain inconsiderate & selfish at times. I found this but just have to put up with it, we once wasted a couple of hours in Kings Lynn when a couple failed to turn up. I'd have driven off and left them:mad:

Same with councils, I think they mean well but left & right hand are not connected at times. I had similar with garden rubbish, got sorted in the end but can be frustrating

Only stew left to nuke for dinner, feeling quite hungry so may mop up the excess with a slice or two, or just have some toast later. No biscuits in the house on purpose, they keep getting eaten:o:
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    Options
    True - re the inconsiderate passengers on coach trips. I've often noticed one or two of them per coach trip and it seems to be an absolute given - except that I can't think why but it doesn't happen if I'm the one stewarding the coach:cool::D.

:rotfl:Somehow the message gets home very firmly "This IS the time you will be back by" and I've never lost anyone yet. Mind you - I'm probably the only coach steward that's managed to go out with a half full coach and come back again with a full one:rotfl: (people the coach driver spotted in need of a lift en route back again and he'd also sussed me out - that he'd be told to just pick them up too:rotfl:).
  • wort
    wort Posts: 1,676 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Farway, blimey where do you live ,my living room is only 14° never mind the conservatory! !!

Brought the washing in put over the airer to finish off,, there'll be a lovely fresh smell when I go up stairs later!!!55357;!!!56842;
    I was hungry and the meals not till 7 pm so I've had a banana, satsuma, and small pear.
    Focus on contribution instead of the impressiveness of consumption to see the true beauty in people.
  • flubberyzing
    Options
    I've spent the last few days in rural Shropshire with my mum. Yesterday us two and my auntie went to a local "posh food place". They had a big tray of large chicken wings reduced to £1.99, so mum and I went halves on it.
    As they were at the sell-by date, I've just knocked up a marinade for them and I'll have them as a late tea in a couple of hours, as not hungry yet due to late lunch.
    For tomorrow I've got some YS mince out of the freezer, which I'll do as a bolognaise in the slow cooker tomorrow. And that'll make leftovers for Sunday's tea as well.
    Because it's fun to have money!
    £0/£70 August GC
    £68.35/£70 July GC
    January-June 2019 = £356.94/£420
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I have been scratching around for food during the past few days, surprisingly have eaten well but not a heck of a lot to choose from in the house. Its because I have been majorly busy clearing here, I get involved and forget to eat. I had a tin of soup last night, I think it was a veggie vegetable and green lentil but soon after my stomach felt very uncomfortable, even woke me up. I read the label this morning, it was the dratted chilli. I had two more left, they are going into the food bank box

It was a dash to the supermarket this morning, got a few bits of fresh things, some veg and fruit and milk and was tempted by the small sourdough loaves on the bakery counter. I bought one normal sourdough san fransisco type and one rye sourdough, well both were rubbish. I had one slice of white and it tasted of flour and the texture was heavy, still I froze slices. The rye one was wet inside, I swear I could have rung it out. Absolute rubbish bread compared to hm. Don`t know why I was tempted but it won`t happen again

The best buys were 2 boxes of ready cheese salads, had one today and have a craft day tomorrow, good for my packed lunch. I have already prepped for my last meal tomorrow, soya, rice, ginger, umboshi plums and will add the water tomorrow and put it on timer in the rice cooker. I need to do that because it is always a tiring day and I have a 75 minute drive back

I`ll have to get my arris in gear on sunday. I need to make a few ready meals and some soups for the freezer and some scones and cinnamon rolls again for the freezer.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback