Gas Engineer Failed to spot danger

Options
Hi All,

Looking for a bit of advice. Last year, I had my boiler checked after moving into a new rented property. I contacted a reputable company and they send round an engineer who serviced the boiler and completed a Gas Safety check, confirming it was safe.

A different engineer from the same company came round last week and condemned the boiler, as the flue was capped off and there was no ventilation. He stated that the fact I always keep the kitchen window open means that my daughter and I did not die, as the boiler would be been leaking carbon monoxide every time it was switched on. It is also a hot air system, which means the carbon monoxide would have been pumped through the system into every room.

He also said that the previous engineer had now left the company, but if I saw him in the street, I should punch him in the face!!

My question is whether the company is liable for the fact that the previous engineer did not condemn the boiler, which he obviously should have done?

Any advice much appreciated.
Proud to be dealing with my debts!!

Comments

• JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Why post in LPG/ Oil you will get more response in Energy .
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13
  • Hasbeen
    Hasbeen Posts: 4,404 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 8 April 2019 at 12:24PM
    Options
    JJ_Egan wrote: »
    Why post in LPG/ Oil you will get more response in Energy .
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13

It might be a LPG boiler?LOL

But don't understand why the op is organising/paying for inspection certificate?

Bust posting in the correct energy forum would help
    The world is not ruined by the wickedness of the wicked, but by the weakness of the good. Napoleon
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    1) why is your landlord not complying with the law by getting the a gas safety report done annually? Why are you doing it? Why have you not chased your landlord?

2) What exactly do you want the company involved to do? You have suffered no financial loss (at least none mentioned). You have suffered no medical problems (though the risk was there). The individual concerned no longer works for the company.

3) You could perhaps check if the individual engineer is still GasSafe registered, perhaps now working freelance? If that is the case, report the circumstances to GasSafe as he may not be a suitable competant person to be o their register.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure