The Edcawber Principle

Options

Comments

• edinburgher
    edinburgher Posts: 13,463 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I was just surprised to see so little in the line of codger pleasing, quite unusual for a Conservative budget.
  • edinburgher
    Options
    Have been keeping my head down, making CC payments and finishing off our Christmas shopping. Also very pleased at the arrival of another nephew, taking my uncle-ing duties up to 6 :)

I think we've managed to get all of our presents within budget, albeit a very generous budget that will probably need to be a wee bit more restrained next year.

Work has been a total PITA of late, more politics than I can be bothered with and I have ended up dragged into the mire. I am looking forward to a positive start and moving away from all that in the New Year.

Off to London tomorrow, very excited for a family week away :j

Then 7 days of work 'til :santa2:
  • smallholdingsister
    Options
    Safe trip and happy holidays!
  • Watty1
    Watty1 Posts: 4,930 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Happy holidays....and only 7 days of work till Christmas ...wow!!
    Made it to mortgage free but what a muddle that became

In the event the proverbial hits the fan then co-habitees are better stashing their cash than being mortgage free !!
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,299 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    Happy holidays :)
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Ed, you're on holibob! Excellent! Hope the freezing units on the ice rinks stay good enough for you to have a little potter about :)
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • Secret_Saving_Squirrel
    Options
    Codger pleasing! Love it.
    Paid off mortgage nine years early in 2013. Now picking and choosing our work to fit in with the rest of our lives!
    Still thrifty though, after all these years:D
  • edinburgher
    Options
    Managed Oxford Street, Covent Garden and have some lovely takeaway sushi for dinner with a few drinkies. Our first family experience of an aparthotel, positive for the most part, but not cheap :eek:

Brilliant day tho :)
  • edinburgher
    edited 8 December 2017 at 3:01PM
    Options
    Wah - back from holidays!
    • We had a brilliant time
    • It's bloody hard worker carting a toddler around London
    • London remains expensive! :eek:
    • I think we'll give it a couple of years before going back

Our actual spending down there wasn't too horrific (I think about £130 including loads of activities, meals out, inexpensive toys for DD and some Christmas presents). That said, total cost was in the region of £1,400, so need to consider in the world of mindful spending whether that's a cost we are willing to accept for what was a short trip? :think:

Unfortunately the train was 45 minutes late on the way back, but Virg1n have already started a 50% refund for the total cost of the tickets. Not bad, we got 3 people to London and back in 1st Class for £37 :money:

In the realm of making more money, Mrs E has sent over a job that I probably have 2/3 of the required skills for. It's another local government post (pay grade starts lower than I get now, but tops out higher). Does it look bad that I'd consider applying for a new job 5 months into a new job after spending 6 years elsewhere? This looks like more of a solo professional role, so probably better scope to make something for myself...

£0.60 paid off CC.
  • Watty1
    Watty1 Posts: 4,930 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options

In the realm of making more money, Mrs E has sent over a job that I probably have 2/3 of the required skills for. It's another local government post (pay grade starts lower than I get now, but tops out higher). Does it look bad that I'd consider applying for a new job 5 months into a new job after spending 6 years elsewhere? This looks like more of a solo professional role, so probably better scope to make something for myself...

No. If you look good on paper they will interview you and you can explain. And if they don't like that, then they wont interview you so nothing lost. Go for it :)
    Made it to mortgage free but what a muddle that became

In the event the proverbial hits the fan then co-habitees are better stashing their cash than being mortgage free !!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback