PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Landlord in Arrears with mortgage lender *HELP!*

Options

Comments

• Smoothape
    Options
    I'm still paying my rent. Don't worry about that.
  • Bossypants
    Bossypants Posts: 1,273 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Smoothape wrote: »
    I'm still paying my rent. Don't worry about that.

Great, keep doing that and stop opening letters which aren't addressed to you.
  • Jumblebumble
    Jumblebumble Posts: 1,809 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 13 January 2019 at 12:42PM
    Options
    Bossypants wrote: »
    Great, keep doing that and stop opening letters which aren't addressed to you.

Perhaps you might consider what you do or don't know
    Do you know if the mortgage company rang your landlord and he paid and is now up to date?
    Do you know that the arrears were an oversight becaiuse he / shechanged bank accounts and a standing order was messed up by his bank?
    I suspect that you cannot answer any of these questions and therefore all you actually know is that some time in the past he was in arrears which might well have the consequence to you of "So What"
    You have not helped by opening his mail and not allowing the mortgage company's advice reach him
    If you did that to me I would report you to the police as interfering with my mail to my detriment which you have clearly done.
    If and when you hear from the Lender then of course you no longer don't know what you don't know.
    Regards JumbleBumble
    I
  • chanz4
    chanz4 Posts: 10,895 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Xmas Saver!
    Options
    I wonder if the landlords have consent to let or a buy to let mortgage, let the lender know that you opened the letter and provide the letting agencys address
    Don't put your trust into an Experian score - it is not a number any bank will ever use & it is generally a waste of money to purchase it. They are also selling you insurance you dont need.
  • davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If you did that to me I would report you to the police as interfering with my mail to my detriment which you have clearly done.
    As I've already pointed out, the OP hasn't committed any offence. You're allowed to open mail which is addressed to your address.
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Yawn!

:doh:
  • HampshireH
    HampshireH Posts: 4,480 Forumite
    Options
    The legalities of the mail issue aside. OP was told in a previous thread to pass the letter to the agent so his LL knew about the correspondance and could deal with it.

Seems he didn't pass the mail on and hasn't done so again.

It's very possible the LL isn't aware of the letters because the OP keeps opening his mail rather than either sending it back or redirecting it via the agent.
  • Cakeguts
    Cakeguts Posts: 7,627 Forumite
    Options
    Regarding this letter situation. We sometimes get letters that are really for our neighbours so we always check who the letter is addressed to. Granted their address is on the letter but you don't really want to open something that should have gone to someone else. Likewise if you buy a house and you get the occasional letter that has escaped from the redirection service you don't just open it.

Now in this situation the OP knows that letters for the landlord sometimes arrive at this address. So you would think that they would be more careful about what they open.

I makes me think that the OP wants to know what is going on in the landlord's private financial life? Nothing to do with their position as a tenant because that has been pointed out in previous threads and they already know that the lender can't just evict them and that the tenancy continues. So why do they continue to open letters that are not addressed to them?

Normal people would take or send the letter to the letting agent or forward them to the landlord. It isn't just the landlord we need to think about here with these letters, it could be any letters addressed to previous occupants that are being opened and read. This is a really good lesson to anyone moving house to set up a redirection service and not rely on the new owners/tenants to pass the mail on. The new occupants could be like the OP who on a regular basis opens letters not neant for them. I don't think this is normal behaviour? It is just plain rude?

There seems to be a sense of entitlement going on here.
  • Jumblebumble
    Jumblebumble Posts: 1,809 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 14 January 2019 at 12:54PM
    Options
    davidmcn wrote: »
    As I've already pointed out, the OP hasn't committed any offence. You're allowed to open mail which is addressed to your address.
    I beg to differ in these circumstances

Postal Act 2000 says
    A person commits an offence if, intending to act to a person’s detriment and without reasonable excuse, he opens a postal packet which he knows or reasonably suspects has been incorrectly delivered to him.

The mail has been incorrectly delivered as the Landlord does not live there
    The OP is acting to the landlords detriment by witholding the rent ( if he does so )
    I would still try and have the police involved and let them decide not some random poster on the internet
    JumbleBumble
  • marcarm
    marcarm Posts: 1,205 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I beg to differ in these circumstances

Postal Act 2000 says
    A person commits an offence if, intending to act to a person’s detriment and without reasonable excuse, he opens a postal packet which he knows or reasonably suspects has been incorrectly delivered to him.

The mail has been incorrectly delivered as the Landlord does not live there
    The OP is acting to the landlords detriment by witholding the rent ( if he does so )
    I would still try and have the police involved and let them decide not some random poster on the internet
    JumbleBumble
    Royal Mail are obliged to deliver to an address, not a person, so in this case the letters have been correctly delivered
    royal_Mail wrote:
    We’re obliged to deliver to the address on an item, and not the name. So there can be situations when we deliver items to your address which aren't in your name, but not the other way round.

How would RM know who lives in a house to be able to not deliver an item if the name is wrong on it?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure