How do you charge your smartphone ?

Smartphone battery can weaken which means that the battery will run-out quickly so,

Do you charge your phone from
0% to 100% or do you charge your phone from
40% to 80% to have a long battery life ?

I would like to know what most people do so i know if what i am doing is right

Comments

• Neil_Jones
    Neil_Jones Posts: 8,913 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    It makes no difference ultimately because all batteries will wear out and discharge naturally. Even a fully charged battery if you leave it long enough will go flat.

The general trend is to just plug it in when needed, and on occasion run it right down to back up again. It may have been a need on older phones when you only had to look at them and they ran out of juice but these days? Just charge it up when you need to.
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    As above .
    I charge when needed and avoid dropping below 20%.
    Battery does not run out quickly it just has a slightly shorter life span of xxx hours .
  • ballyblack
    ballyblack Posts: 5,065 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    little and often seems to be the advice here;

https://www.androidauthority.com/maximize-battery-life-882395/
  • I usually charge mine with electricity :D
  • AndyPK
    AndyPK Posts: 4,241 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    I think the main thing is not to charge them all night, every night.

As this does weaken iPhone batteries.

And yes keeping them between 40-80% is good, abviously some days you want a full charge
  • Neil_Jones wrote: »
    It makes no difference ultimately because all batteries will wear out and discharge naturally. Even a fully charged battery if you leave it long enough will go flat.

The general trend is to just plug it in when needed, and on occasion run it right down to back up again. It may have been a need on older phones when you only had to look at them and they ran out of juice but these days? Just charge it up when you need to.

do you charge it upto 100% or anything below that like 75% , 80% or 90% ?
  • Neil_Jones
    Neil_Jones Posts: 8,913 Forumite
    If it needs charging I plug it in and I go to bed. I'm not getting up at 4am just to check on how charged a device is. If its fully charged by 7am its fully charged and if it isn't, it isn't.
  • grumbler
    grumbler Posts: 58,629 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    do you charge it upto 100% or anything below that like 75% , 80% or 90% ?
    100% is just some arbitrary figure that your phone shows for some 'optimal' charge that your phone is programmed to charge the battery to, at which point it stops charging. It makes no sense to intervene into this process.
  • d123
    d123 Posts: 8,621 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    AndyPK wrote: »
    I think the main thing is not to charge them all night, every night.

As this does weaken iPhone batteries.

And yes keeping them between 40-80% is good, abviously some days you want a full charge
    You simply can't overcharge an iPhone, or any other modern electronic device, for that matter. Any device that uses a Lithium Ion or Lithium Polymer battery must incorporate a charging circuit that cuts off charging power when the battery reaches 100%.

In other words, when your iPhone is plugged in and reaches 100%, it switches to external power and simply runs from that (as some other answers have explained).

Similarly, charging your battery before it's fully depleted will also not harm your battery at all, and is actually the preferable way of charging your battery. While Lithium Ion batteries are rated for a limited number of "charge cycles' (about 500 in the case of the iPhone), the term "charge cycle" refers to complete recharges, and partial recharges simply use up partial charge cycles. In other words, every time you charge your iPhone up from 90%, you're using 1/10th, or 10%, of a complete charge cycle. This means you could charge your iPhone up from 90%-100% 5,000 times before you'd have to worry about running out of charge cycles.

However, if you deliberately drain your battery to zero and then recharge it, instead of simply plugging it in when it needs to be charged, you're needlessly using up a complete charge cycle. Obviously if you're using your iPhone until the battery goes dead, that's fair, but there's no need to deliberately drain it before recharging it, and you'll actually shorten your battery life if you do so.

https://www.quora.com/Does-charging-my-iPhone-6-overnight-destroy-my-battery?

https://www.ilounge.com/index.php/articles/comments/best-practices-for-ipad-battery-charging
    ====
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    With my new phone I have got 2 days out of it, if it drops below a 40% I charge it up in the evening or overnight whichever comes first.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure