IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

SCS Law & Smart Parking

Options
manwyl
manwyl Posts: 63 Forumite
First Anniversary
edited 6 November 2017 at 1:20PM in Parking tickets, fines & parking
Hi, your advice is requested as my head is spinning after reading through the sticky threads. I've not seen a set of circumstances exactly like below (including the POPLA part) but apologies if I've missed something. I'm not certain on the way to proceed but first I'll explain the background.

8 months ago our car parked in a car park associated with a Matalan Store but not owned by the store. Matalan offer discounts for the parking cost to their customers. We did not buy anything from the Matalan store that day. They use ANPR cameras and parking machines which require the VRN to be entered. This was incorrectly entered due to some of the keys not working properly (although this has been denied by Smart) and due to being in a rush and the pressure of a queue forming behind. The VRN entered was very similar to the actual VRN. Smart have confirmed there is a payment on their system at the time for a vehicle with a very similar VRN that wasn't in the car park. In short, the correct payment was made but the wrong VRN was entered. Smart rejected an appeal based on the information above and we naively assumed that POPLA would consider the circumstances based on the details above but this too was rejected. We answered all the leading questions and I believe the driver was identified. I realise now that this was a big mistake and was a missed opportunity.

Since then we have ignored all letters from Debt Recovery Plus until receiving a letter at the end of October from SCS Law (acting on behalf of Smart Parking Ltd) which declares it is an LBC. They are requesting payment of £170 via Debt Recovery Plus to settle the matter. I shall try to supply a link to view the redacted letter -

dropbox.com/sh/b2c2u24qwppur58/AACTONoflX1KgrOLUgFi3iz6a?dl=0[/url]

BTW - Matalan have stopped using Smart Parking due to the number of customer complaints.

I'm unsure on how to proceed as we have shot ourselves in the foot with POPLA already. I'm not sure which advice to follow in case it now doesn't apply. It's such a minefield that we've considered just giving in but I guess this is what they're relying on. My instinct is to fight it but after the POPLA mistake I've lost confidence.

Any assistance on how to proceed would be greatly appreciated. Please let me know if any more information is required.

Many thanks

Comments

• beamerguy
    beamerguy Posts: 17,587 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 6 November 2017 at 1:50PM
    Options
    You are the second one today about the stupid Smart

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5739806

Read the link to the Parking Prankster

This again is all about an incorrect VRN and in this case
    it does not matter who was the driver

The letter asking you pay DRP is a debt collectors letter
    DRP ARE THE BIGGEST JOKE IN THE UK :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

SCS Law are just one of a very small number of legals
    who go to bed with parking scammers

YOU WILL NOT PAY A SCAMMER LET ALONE DRP

So, Matalan sacked SMART, they are not alone

You can either ignore this junk mail and maybe the legal
    will try court or you can reply denying any debt and request
    proof of their claim which they will rely upon.
    This will include proof of an incorrect VRN

Smart IT gets confused with numbers/letters. This could
    well be designed to trap you against their ANPR

The courts do not like companies who deceive the public
    and Smart is known in the courts.

Any legal taking this further is not only stupid but they
    fall in line with the UK's most incompetent solicitor, being
    Gladstones
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,747 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    a letter at the end of October from SCS Law (acting on behalf of Smart Parking Ltd) which declares it is an LBC. They are requesting payment of £170 via Debt Recovery Plus to settle the matter. I shall try to supply a link to view the redacted letter -

dropbox.com/sh/b2c2u24qwppur58/AACTONoflX1KgrOLUgFi3iz6a?dl=0[/url]

BTW - Matalan have stopped using Smart Parking due to the number of customer complaints.

I'm unsure on how to proceed

Read the NEWBIES thread post #2 and particularly read examples written by Johnersh and LoadsofChildren123 in recent weeks, showing how to tell a Solicitor that their so-called LBCCC is not compliant with the new pre-action protocol for debt claims, which was updated on 1st October 2017.

Read the new protocol, you will soon see how they have failed. Either Google for it or follow the link in the NEWBIES thread post #2 all about LBCCC stage and the new protocol.

A LBCCC does not mean a claim is inevitable.

Even if you get a claim, this forum assist posters who have no experience at all, to win their defended cases 99% of the time.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • manwyl
    First Anniversary
    edited 6 November 2017 at 2:24PM
    Options
    Thank you for your reply.

On this occasion the VRN was incorrectly entered due to the keyboard issue. With hindsight an alternative machine should have been used but the full consequences of this seemingly minor detail were not clear and incorrectly assumed that the payment made was enough. That won't happen again!

Just to clarify - the SCS Law letter (linked above) is in fact from DRP? Either way, if this is their attempt at an LBC then judging by the advice in the sticky threads I should reply in order to "not drop the LBCCC ball". Should I ignore it or reply? Does it matter that we've already been down the POPLA route or can I put that to one side and form a reply? e.g. post #7 by hitman126

forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5735136&highlight=practice+direction

Another PPC has taken over the running of the car park in question and replaced the ticket machines with their own. I assume they've also replaced the signs to their own. This means I can't gather evidence myself.

Many thanks
  • manwyl
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Thank you. I shall do that now.

Many thanks
  • manwyl
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Thank you for your quick replies. Your knowledge and support is invaluable. I have just read the suggested posts and I'm thinking I will use the following example in reply to this LBC. Please can it be confirmed I haven't included any part of it I shouldn't (as it relates to another set of circumstances) or that I haven't missed anything? Many thanks

Your Ref:xxxxxxxxxxx

Dear Sirs,

I am in receipt of your Letter Before Claim of xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx 2017.
    Your letter contains insufficient detail of the claim and fails to provide copies of evidence your client places reliance upon.

Your client must know that on 01 October 2017 a new protocol is applicable to debt claims. Since proceedings have not yet been issued, the new protocol clearly applies and must be complied with.

Your letter lacks specificity and breaches both the requirements of the previously applicable Practice Direction - Pre-Action Conduct (paragraphs 6(a) and 6(c)) and the new Pre-Action Protocol for Debt Claims (paragraphs 3.1(a)-(d), 5.1 and 5.2. Please treat this letter as a formal request for all of the documents / information that the protocol now requires your client to provide. Your client must not issue proceedings without complying with that protocol. I reserve the right to draw any failure of the Claimant to comply with the protocol to the attention of the court and to ask the court to stay the claim and order your client to comply with its pre-action obligations, and when costs come to be considered.

As solicitors you must surely be familiar with the requirements of both the Practice Direction applicable pre-1 October and the Protocol which applies thereafter (and your client, as a serial litigator of small claims, should likewise be aware of them). As you (and your client) must know, the Practice Direction and Protocol bind all potential litigants, whatever the size or type of the claim. Its express purpose is to assist parties in understanding the claim and their respective positions in relation to it, to enable parties to take stock of their positions and to negotiate a settlement, or at least narrow the issues, without incurring the costs of court proceedings or using up valuable court time. It is astounding that a firm of Solicitors are sending a consumer a vague and unevidenced 'Letter before Claim' in complete ignorance of the pre-existing Practice Direction and the new Protocol.

Nobody, including your client, is immune from the requirements and obligations of the Practice Direction and now the Protocol.

I require your client to comply with its obligations by sending me the following information/documents:

1. an explanation of the cause of action
    2. whether they are pursuing me as driver or keeper
    3. whether they are relying on the provisions of Schedule 4 of POFA 2012
    4. what the details of the claim are; where it is claimed the vehicle was parked, for how long, how the monies being claimed arose and have been calculated
    5. Is the claim for a contractual breach? If so, what is the date of the agreement? The names of the parties to it and provide to me a copy of that contract.
    6. Is the claim for trespass? If so, provide details.
    7. Provide me a copy of the contract with the landowner under which they assert authority to bring the claim, as required by the IPC code of practice section B, clause 1.1 “establishing yourself as the creditor”
    8. a plan showing where any signs were displayed
    9. details of the signs displayed (size of sign, size of font, height at which displayed)
    10. Provide details of the original charge, and detail any interest and administrative or other charges added
    11. Provide a copy of the Information Sheet and the Reply Form

If your client does not provide me with this information then I put you on notice that I will be relying on the cases of Webb Resolutions Ltd v Waller Needham & Green [2012] EWHC 3529 (Ch), Daejan Investments Limited v The Park West Club Limited (Part 20) – Buxton Associates [2003] EWHC 2872, Charles Church Developments Ltd v Stent Foundations Limited & Peter Dann Limited [2007] EWHC 855 in asking the court to impose sanctions on your client and to order a stay of the proceedings, pursuant to paragraphs 13 ,15(b) and (c) and 16 of the Practice Direction, as referred to in paragraph 7.2 of the Protocol.

Until your client has complied with its obligations and provided this information, I am unable to respond properly to the alleged claim and to consider my position in relation to it, and it is entirely premature (and a waste of costs and court time) for your client to issue proceedings. Should your client do so, then I will seek an immediate stay pursuant to paragraph 15(b) of the Practice Direction and an order that this information is provided.

Yours faithfully
  • The_Deep
    The_Deep Posts: 16,830 Forumite
    edited 6 November 2017 at 3:17PM
    Options
    I get the impression that a lot of these low rent law firms are going to struggle with the new regs. Either they will have to say goodbye to PPCs or charge them more and do a proper job.

Has anyone yet had a reply to such a letter? Should we not be copying non-compliant letters and our replies to the SRA, as either these firms are trying to dodge the new regs. or are unaware of them?

In my opinion, anything which causes extra for the claimant is to be encouraged.
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
  • beamerguy
    beamerguy Posts: 17,587 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    The_Deep wrote: »
    I get the impression that a lot of these low rent law firms are going to struggle with the new regs. Either they will have to say goodbye to PPCs or charge them more and do a proper job.

How right you are and they are struggling now, that's how
    the new regs were set up.

It now depends if the low rent legal firms continue with
    low £100 claims (plus their bit) or if they don't, the PPC can
    go to a real solicitor and pay a fortune ?
    Doubt real solicitors would get involved with scammers

It will probably end up with a PPC .. DIY and that will
    be loads of fun.

Let's hope that the private members bill will scupper
    the scam
  • The_Deep
    The_Deep Posts: 16,830 Forumite
    Options
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
  • manwyl
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Thanks to everyone for your help so far. I've removed point 11 from my draft above as SCS included this along with their original letter - "11. Provide a copy of the Information Sheet and the Reply Form". I shall post this off tomorrow and get a proof of postage unless anyone thinks I should change anything else?

I have also spoken with the Matalan store manager this week who was helpful in providing a bit more information. She said their head office had advised them to tell customers to ignore all tickets from Smart Parking as they will not take anyone to court. She was surprised when I told her about the letter from SCS. She kindly gave me a phone number for their head office switchboard (not the usual customer service number) and I was able to speak with their property manager (or something like that). He said they no longer have any communication with Smart Parking but he did have a way to contact them and would do so on our behalf. He asked for the PCN number, Matalan card number and bank statements or receipts to show we were customers. The car park isn't just for Matalan customers. They offer a discount to Matalan customers only. We have a Matalan card but haven't used it for years when shopping there but do regularly pop in to browse and make purchases with cash or card. I was able to show a recent visit and purchase using a bank statement sent to him via email. Fingers crossed for some good news there. Not sure if I should post his email address here but if anyone else was to follow the same steps I did then that should be OK.

Many thanks
  • manwyl
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Hello all. We have had a reply from SCS -

dropbox.com/sh/upiw8uf8muc83kh/AABUIdv1L0tI9Dbp_MJH_Pxca?dl=0

The reply also contains a copy of an email and letter between the driver and SmartParking, copy of the notice, photos of the car entering and leaving the car park, a birds eye view of the car park detailing the location of the entrance, Tariff, Ts&Cs, Disabled and Warning, photos of signs in the car park (too far away to read), printouts (not photos) of signs.

Your comments on this new letter are welcomed. Many thanks
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport