Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally

Options

Comments

• beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,296 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    Enjoy your weekend :)
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • redofromstart
    redofromstart Posts: 4,167 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Hope the weather is good for your Saturday saunter :)
  • Seasidegal58
    Seasidegal58 Posts: 5,677 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Just catching up with your diary Hairy. Good to hear you're slowly getting your energy back.

:eek: to DS's situation. It would be more than enough for an older experienced guy to cope with - living with mother, hostile kids, nasty ex - let alone living in a different country and trying to get a job (which in the US wouldn't be clear cut anyway - the powers that be would take a hard look and may well come to the conclusion that what with the age gap etc DS is trying to make a marriage of convenience just to get into the country). I think though the fact DS is talking of travelling around this year is excellent. Once he really gets out and about and mixes more there is every likelihood it will bolster his confidence and he will meet someone more suitable and nearer his own age.

Hope you enjoy your family get together this evening Hairy.

PS loved carboot's postman story by the way - though not so good for him obviously!
    Finally Debt Free! - July 2016 🌟
    Finished Emergency Fund- £10,000 April 2017
    🌟
    RETIRED: MAY 2021!!!!😀🎆
    My diary: “Seasidegal's Scrimpy Retirement Diary!”
  • elizabethhull
    Options
    Happy Saturday, all !

I finally gave in, and went back to the beginning of your diary HH, because the frustration of not knowing who PA were and who the furry moron was (I'd guessed a guinea-pig) was driving me mad !!! Ok, now I know!

It was also really interesting reading about family loo-roll consumption. When we have elder daughter & SIL for the weekend, I have to lay in large supplies - do they eat it ? Do they make nests with it before using ? Not really a question I can ask is it !

Also your lists of how to economise were fascinating; lists of things I never thought to spent money on in the first place (eg phone contract), readily counterbalanced by my own unnecessary expenditures (hey-ho!!). So easy to let the little things mount up. You've come a long way already, and these lists should make you proud.
  • abba1772
    abba1772 Posts: 7,746 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Car Insurance Carver!
    Options
    Have a lovely weekend hairy xx
    NEXT TARGET: Halifax credit card DEC 22 £0 / £4499.12
    POAMAYC 2011 £6378.35 POAMAYC 2012 £5000.78
    POAMAYC 2013 £3480.04 POAMAYC 2014 £4085.14
    POAMAYC 2015 £7565.24 POAMAYC 2016 £8000.90 POAMAYC 2017 £7278.80 POAMAYC 2018 £13208.18POAMAYC 2019 £13309.28 POAMAYC 2020 £15026.05
  • Sun_Addict
    Sun_Addict Posts: 21,288 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Glad you're feeling stronger, that flu really knocked you for six. Don't rush to get back to normal, take it steady. Have a lovely weekend xx
    Christmas Savings 2024 £252.38/£600 April NSD:2 April Surveys £
  • HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options
    jwil wrote: »
    Happy friday! Have a good weekend :)
    beanielou wrote: »
    Enjoy your weekend :)
    Hope the weather is good for your Saturday saunter :)

Thanks all :)
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 😱 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017 :T 🎉
    EMERGENCY FUND 1 = £50/£5,000. EMERGENCY FUND 2 = £10/£5,000.
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £0/£500. SEF = £1,400/£12,000 PREMIUM BONDS ME = £350. PREMIUM BONDS DH = £300.
    HOLIDAY MONEY = £0 TIME LEFT TO PAY OFF MORTGAGE = 5 YEARS 1 MONTHS
  • HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options
    Just catching up with your diary Hairy. Good to hear you're slowly getting your energy back.

:eek: to DS's situation. It would be more than enough for an older experienced guy to cope with - living with mother, hostile kids, nasty ex - let alone living in a different country and trying to get a job (which in the US wouldn't be clear cut anyway - the powers that be would take a hard look and may well come to the conclusion that what with the age gap etc DS is trying to make a marriage of convenience just to get into the country). I think though the fact DS is talking of travelling around this year is excellent. Once he really gets out and about and mixes more there is every likelihood it will bolster his confidence and he will meet someone more suitable and nearer his own age.

Hope you enjoy your family get together this evening Hairy.

PS loved carboot's postman story by the way - though not so good for him obviously!

Thanks SSG you always have something sensible and reassuring to say :).
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £0/£500. SEF = £1,400/£12,000 PREMIUM BONDS ME = £350. PREMIUM BONDS DH = £300.
  • HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options
    Happy Saturday, all !

I finally gave in, and went back to the beginning of your diary HH, because the frustration of not knowing who PA were and who the furry moron was (I'd guessed a guinea-pig) was driving me mad !!! Ok, now I know!

It was also really interesting reading about family loo-roll consumption. When we have elder daughter & SIL for the weekend, I have to lay in large supplies - do they eat it ? Do they make nests with it before using ? Not really a question I can ask is it !

Also your lists of how to economise were fascinating; lists of things I never thought to spent money on in the first place (eg phone contract), readily counterbalanced by my own unnecessary expenditures (hey-ho!!). So easy to let the little things mount up. You've come a long way already, and these lists should make you proud.

Thank you Elizabeth. That must have been a long read :rotfl:.

I feel your pain with the loo roll consumption, it will forever be one of life's mysteries!

It's always fascinating to see what other people spend money on. Not having enough to cover the bills does tend to sharpen perspective however and make people realise the difference between a want and a need.
  • HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options
    abba1772 wrote: »
    Have a lovely weekend hairy xx
    Sun_Addict wrote: »
    Glad you're feeling stronger, that flu really knocked you for six. Don't rush to get back to normal, take it steady. Have a lovely weekend xx

Thanks both :)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure