Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally

Options

Comments

• beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,464 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    It could work in theory if it was just the two of them, but his girlfiend lives with her mother and her three teenage children who have decided they don't like DS2 because he is too young (and not their dad). DS2 is very upset and offended that they don't like him :(.

Plus her ex husband is unpleasant. So things are not going well. Men twice DS2's age would struggle to cope with all the messy emotions, I think :(.

A diffult one.
    I know that my DS would never have been nor was happy with anyone else in my life when he was a teenager.

A difficult mix anyway to start with three generations.
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • beanielou
    Options
    Sounds like a really lovely weekend to come though :)
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

• HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options
    Not a very happy situation for your DS to find himself in, and I feel for you and DH too who must be so worried about what DS might be getting into. Sending hugs to all.

For what it's worth, our postman moved in with his girlfriend about a year ago. He's about 30, She is 42, recently divorced and her teenage sons live with her. Her ex-husband too is a very unpleasant character by all accounts and resents the postman living in what was 'his' house which he had to vacate after the divorce. The plan was for them to marry when her 2 teenage sons had left home or gone to University. The boys resent and absolutely hate our poor postman and don't waste any opportunity to make his life unpleasant. They give him the silent treatment whenever they are all together in the house, spread untruths about mean/unkind things he's supposedly done to them and generally try to turn their mother against him.

He's really fed up and is thinking of moving out and finding a place of his own where he can see his girlfriend without the boys being there. I don't think he can afford much though. His own parents have practically disowned him as they thoroughly disapprove of this relationship. He seems a 'young' 30 whereas the girlfriend seems older than her 42 years.

Sometimes love just isn't enough in these situations is it?:(

Crikey Carboot, that situation sounds identical to DS2's situation, except he hasn't moved in. :eek:.

DS2 is a very young 23 and is not equipped emotionally to cope with stepchildren who dislike him. Hopefully because of the distance it will fall apart eventually.

She is DS2's first love, so means the world to him at the moment, but if he meets someone else it could all change.

By the way, I love the fact that you know so much about your postman :rotfl:.
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 😱 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017 :T 🎉
    EMERGENCY FUND 1 = £50/£5,000. EMERGENCY FUND 2 = £10/£5,000.
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £0/£500. SEF = £1,400/£12,000 PREMIUM BONDS ME = £350. PREMIUM BONDS DH = £300.
    HOLIDAY MONEY = £0 TIME LEFT TO PAY OFF MORTGAGE = 5 YEARS 1 MONTHS
  • HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options
    beanielou wrote: »
    A diffult one.
    I know that my DS would never have been nor was happy with anyone else in my life when he was a teenager.

A difficult mix anyway to start with three generations.

It is all a bit of a mess :(
    Sounds like a really lovely weekend to come though :)

I'm looking forward to it :)
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £0/£500. SEF = £1,400/£12,000 PREMIUM BONDS ME = £350. PREMIUM BONDS DH = £300.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    edited 8 March 2018 at 5:42AM
    Options
    By the way, I love the fact that you know so much about your postman :rotfl:.

We've known him slightly all his life, he just also happens to be our postman at the moment:rotfl:. We know him better as the postman as he always had time for a chat but these days he's so gloomy and doesn't even say 'hello'. His aunt and uncle are close friends of ours and he seems to be their only topic of conversation at the moment:(. We get blow by blow accounts every time we speak to them.

Glad to hear you enjoyed your supermarket shop, HH:j. I had a big Sainsbury home delivery on Tuesday and fully expected a lot of ordered items would be unavailable/substituted this time. I was amazed as only one item out of the 64 was unavailable and they sent a top brand version instead of their own but it was otherwise identical. As I don't have to pay the extra that it cost over their own brand I'm happy:T. To be honest though, I'll stick to the own brand in future as the more expensive big brand version wasn't as nice:(.

I hope you and your family have a lovely time when you get together for your celebration meal. Hopefully your appetite will have fully returned and you'll be able to really enjoy your food.
  • beanielou
    Options
    Hope all is ok today :)

• WannabeFree
    WannabeFree Posts: 4,438 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Just catching up.

Eek to DS glad he had a good time other than his GF though.

Travelling sounds good. Nice to hear you are out and about too. Just remember to take your time

x
    “Once you hit rock bottom, that's where you perfectly stand; That's your chance of restarting, but restarting the way.”
  • HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options
    We've known him slightly all his life, he just also happens to be our postman at the moment:rotfl:. We know him better as the postman as he always had time for a chat but these days he's so gloomy and doesn't even say 'hello'. His aunt and uncle are close friends of ours and he seems to be their only topic of conversation at the moment:(. We get blow by blow accounts every time we speak to them.

Glad to hear you enjoyed your supermarket shop, HH:j. I had a big Sainsbury home delivery on Tuesday and fully expected a lot of ordered items would be unavailable/substituted this time. I was amazed as only one item out of the 64 was unavailable and they sent a top brand version instead of their own but it was otherwise identical. As I don't have to pay the extra that it cost over their own brand I'm happy:T. To be honest though, I'll stick to the own brand in future as the more expensive big brand version wasn't as nice:(.

I hope you and your family have a lovely time when you get together for your celebration meal. Hopefully your appetite will have fully returned and you'll be able to really enjoy your food.

Thanks Carboot, my appetite is growing by the day so I'm sure I'll do it justice :D
    Hope all is ok today :)

Thanks beanie :)
    Just catching up.

Eek to DS glad he had a good time other than his GF though.

Travelling sounds good. Nice to hear you are out and about too. Just remember to take your time

x

Thanks Wannabe :)
  • HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options
    Hi everyone, happy Friday :).

It's nearly four weeks since I caught flu and I'm nearly better. I walked to a shop about five minutes walk from my house yesterday to buy sawdust for the furry moron. I walked at half my normal speed (I'm a rusher by nature) but I felt it did me good. It was a lovely day, sunny with a light breeze :). Sadly it's clouded over today.

Last night I cooked dinner with DS1, while DH cleaned out the (stinky) furry moron. During the day I did two lots of laundry, wiped down all the kitchen surfaces and emptied the dishwasher.

This all seemed quite tiring, but I can't sit around resting forever :o.

On Monday I'm planning on being back in the office and life can get back to normal. I only have a vague idea what's happening with our money and bills, as I've left it to DH to sort out for the past four weeks :eek:. But I need to get on top of it again.

I hope everyone has a good Friday :).
  • jwil
    jwil Posts: 19,219 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Happy friday! Have a good weekend :)
    "If you can dream it, you can do it". Walt Disney
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income