IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Gladstone Claim - Help needed on Steps

Options
Hi Guys,

I have read many threads here and pepipoo, but I struggle reading and understanding. So please be patient with me.

I received a ticket on the car, ignored it, ignored any letter that came, car was sold, home was moved, so I wasnt receiving the letters. I did catch the county court one.

This private land is managed by a different company now and not ukcpm.

1. I recieved a county court to pay Total Amount £248.93 for parking in private land in 06/2017 for breaching terms of parking charge. I think the claimant is ukcpm - uk car park management limited.
2. I logged into moneyclaim.gov.uk and successfully completed that with acknowledge defend all. As instructed in the threads here today 18/8/18
3. I logged into gladstonessolicitors.co.uk and send them this:
Hi

I note your claim dated 13th August 2018.

I intend to defend any claim and I invite you to advise your client to withdraw at this early stage, before costs are incurred in defending a claim against me as registered keeper. I believe any claim by UK Car Park Management Limited is baseless and misconceived and is bound to fail.!

If your client will not withdraw, then I ask for your response to the matters above and for the following documents:

i. The contract (or chain of contracts) between your client and the site landowner - not a site agent or other non-landholder - giving your client authority to carry out parking management and on what terms;

ii. Any and all photographs taken of my car on the material dates;

iii. A copy of any document your client asserts sets out the terms of the alleged contract between it and a driver;

iv. A copy of the signs on display and a dated plan of where in the car park they were displayed on those dates;

These are core documents, central to your client’s claim. As such, they are documents which are required to have been produced at an early stage (regardless of whether or not I asked for them) in this pre-action phase, pursuant to paragraph 6 of the Practice Direction – Pre-Action Conduct. I would have expected at the very least, that the contract requested under iii above should have been appended to the Letter Before Claim. I am requesting these documents because I clearly require them in order to be able to prepare a proper defence to any Claim and/or a meaningful POPLA appeal, as is my entitlement. The CPR clearly anticipate an early exchange of information, as per paragraph 6 of the Practice Direction – Pre-Action Conduct, Rule 16 and Practice Direction 16 – any failure to produce the information I have asked for will be nothing other than a deliberate attempt to frustrate my ability to defend the claim and a failure to comply with pre-action obligations.

Any failure by you/your client, to enter into meaningful dialogue in order to avoid unnecessary litigation will mean that you will have denied me the opportunity to 'take stock' pursuant to paragraph 12 of the Practice Direction, or to enter into discussions with you pursuant to paragraph 13. I will seek the sanctions provided for by paragraph 15 of the Practice Direction.!

I require you and your client to cease and desist. To be clear, I decline any invitation to name the driver and this is my lawful right. There the matter must end, because UK Car Park Management Limited have no lawful excuse to use my DVLA data beyond the very basic cause, of enquiring as to the driver's identity. A line must now be drawn under this exchange.!

I expect a substantive response with the documents and or confirmation of cancellation of this PCN within 14 days of this letter.

Yours faithfully,

What do I do now? who do I contact? i just got so confused.

Comments

• KeithP
    KeithP Posts: 37,655 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 18 August 2018 at 3:27PM
    Options
    What do I do now? who do I contact? i just got so confused.
    As you already have a Claim Form, and have now done the Acknowledgement of Service, the next step is to prepare a Defence.

Guidance on preparing the Defence can be found in the second post on the NEWBIES FAQ sticky thread.

If 13th August is the Date of Issue on your Claim Form, then you have until 4pm on Monday 17th September to file your Defence.

Lots of time.

When you are happy with the content, the Defence should be filed via email as described here:

1) Print the Defence.
    2) Sign it and date it.
    3) Scan the signed document back in and save it as a pdf.
    4) Send that pdf as an email attachment to CCBCAQ@Justice.gov.uk
    5) Just put the claim number and the word Defence in the email title, and in the body of the email something like 'Please find my Defence attached'.
    6) Log into MCOL after a few days to see if the Claim is marked "defended". If not, you should chase the CCBC until it is.
    7) Wait for the Directions Questionnaire and come back here.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Before you go off and find a template, why was the ticket issued? What type of location was it e.g. residential.

You've asked for certain information as well. How much of that do you have and have already checked e.g signs or lease or rental agreement

Have you contacted the landowner/occupier to see if they can get it cancelled?
  • facilitator999
    Options
    1. We were angry parking in our bay as kids were damaging our car. It was residential. Housing did relocate our bay later.

2. We rent here and have a bay, but our car was not in the bay.

3. Just contacted them today so see if they can
  • facilitator999
    facilitator999 Posts: 36 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 23 August 2018 at 1:49PM
    Options
    Gladstones called today in response to my letter on the first post, told me very frankly because a claim has been put into court the only thing i can do is (they cannot provide any information to me as they have started legal proceedings to me)

a) pay the full £248.
    b) file my defence in court.

I guess time is ticking, I looked for many templates, not sure which to fight on.
  • nosferatu1001
    nosferatu1001 Posts: 12,961 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    They "cannot" provide?
    Rubbish
    You REQUIRE them to send the information as part of their obligations under the overiding objective.

Post 2 gives you examples
    You need to make a decision, having read and *understood* the defences.
  • facilitator999
    Options
    Man im getting nervous

1) i responded by email; i had a recording of Andrew; I simply requested to confirm in writing that they cannot provide any detail re post #1

2) ive dont *understand* defences, its beyond me :(
  • nosferatu1001
    nosferatu1001 Posts: 12,961 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    NO it isnt

You cannot claim you dont understand *anything* about them, having FULLY read post 2 of the newbies thread

You cannot state this, because you will understand something - elements of the defence.

If you want help, you need to show youve done something. Read sections oof the defence. Look up terms you dont understand. SOMETHING that shows effort rather than just giving up.
  • facilitator999
    Options
    Yikes, i must have read the newbie thread 4 times, it's very extensive.

I didnt say I dont fully understand, but to say I'm not exerting effort... I guess I can only do my best. And that's what I've done, hence post 1.
  • Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,777 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Why didn't you just copy Johnersh's residential defence from the NEWBIES thread, or look at bargepole's one I posted today:

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=74708527#post74708527

You CAN do this!
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • facilitator999
    Options
    Thanks coup, I'm working on one, this link you gave helps lot. I'm waiting for landowners who said will contact cpm and try to convince them but also said they dont have any jurisdiction to do so atm. Contract ended cpm no longer operate here.

I do have a quick question, which I'm hoping you won't ask me to Google.

If I lose the case...

1. Could I be asked to pay more than the claim of £249.93?
    2. Will it immediately go on my credit report?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure