Mortgage Exit Fees successes and failures

Options

Comments

• clarew
    clarew Posts: 501 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Just called Halifax, mortgage was aug 2003-oct 2006, increased from £75 fee to £175 fee. :eek: Chap was very helpfull and confirmed that they would post me out a cheque for £100:j

This is great, as we had put all our remortgage fees etc on a interest free (and no fee paying) balance transfer credit card,(got via quidco for £15cash back!) and are currently paying them off monthly, so now i will be able to clear it (and then cancel the card) a month early!!:money:
    Original mortgage 185k. 2003
    Current mortgage. 65k Jan 2020
    OP £321/month-Aiming to finish August 2025 instead of October 2028 (whilst keeping the 4 dependents fed,watered,clothed,sheltered and paying for school/activities paraphernalia):rotfl:
  • manonamission_2
    Options
    Hello all,

Wonder if someone could produce a handy contact list for these mortgage companies, with addresses for their complaint departments.

Here's what I've found for Bradford & Bingley.

Complaint Department
    Dept H55
    Cross Flats
    Cross Road
    Cross Flats Bingley
    BD16 2UA

You should get a letter acknowledgement within 48 hours during the week.

Will update when I have their response.

Manonamission.
  • Lions21
    Lions21 Posts: 34 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Sent my letter off a few weeks back.

They have replied and agreed to put my fee back to the original £99. They sneakily upped it to £225 in the charges & tariffs they send out once a year.

They quoted the recent FSA ruling.
  • DeepSporran
    Options
    Rang C&G re mortgage redeemed November 2004 - Very helpful CSA has arranged for £60 plus interest to be credited to my bank.

Nice one.
  • gjchester
    gjchester Posts: 5,741 Forumite
    Options
    Called the Woolwich, they say they don't owe me anything as I paid £95 exit fee. I didn't I paid £275. Seems if you just repaid it over the phone as I did they never sgenerated or sent a redemption certificate so they don't know what you paid. They are looking into it, if required I'll have to send my bank statements showing the mortgate balanve prior to paying off and the amount transfered to cover it.
  • kenshaz
    kenshaz Posts: 3,155 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Paid off my mortgage last year --paid with Halifax £175 used Martin's letter last week ,received reply which states that they will refund £100,we had to complete a special form and they stated that it was a goodwill gesture.Success ,last week I saved £2000 on a new car because of Martin's haggling system,what more can I say.
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]To be happy you need to make someone happy.[/FONT]
  • mandrews_2
    Options
    Called C&G, I had no idea what the redemption penalties were when I signed up and what I actually paid on closure. I had no idea what the mortgage account number was either. They managed to track me down, but unfortunately because the mortgage was only a short term thing (in between house move), I paid off the correct amount at the time. They were extremely helpful though. So don't worry about calling them if you have no idea about your mortgage details!

I've got the same situation with Halifax (00-02), Brittania (02-04) and Abbey (04-05). Anyone tried calling these guys?

Thanks.
  • soozig
    soozig Posts: 39 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I called C & G today - My exit fee should have been £180 - I was charged £225 I was offered a refund of the difference there and then. However, I could see no mention of any exit fee on my mortgage paperwork and informed them that i didn't think £180 was a realistic charge, considering the small amount of administration involved and suggested £35 was more realistic. My complaint was sent off to the relevent department and i should hear in the next few days.

My second phone call was to Royal Bank of Scotland - They read a statement out to me saying that they were to go back to the FSA before 28/02/07 and depending on the outcome of that they would then be calling all their customers who paid a sealing fee. I paid £75 and look forward to their phone call.
    Overdraft - £1,300 5%
    Overdraft - £3000 5%
    Halifax C/C - £3,200 0% 08/07
    Virgin C/C - £1,500 0% 06/07
    Mortgage - £61,214.68 overpaid £700
    Olymic Challenge - £597.24
  • gallygirl
    gallygirl Posts: 17,228 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Having had £250 promised, plus interest, from C & G today already it occurred to me that I may be due some more from previous mortgages.

Have found another £34 from Abbey National as I had paperwork going back to 1997:j :j :j . Here's hoping they pay up without a fight......

But can't find paperwork related to a BTL with Yorkshire Bank in 1999 and 2004. :mad: Shot in the dark - don't suppose anyone knows what the redemption fees charged were?????? I could phone solicitor who redeemed mortgage but as they were as much use as a chocolate teapot when I was paying them I don't expect any help now. Plus, unless I can find 1999 paperwork it won't be any good.

WHERE IS THE PAPERWORK FROM 1999??????? AAAARRRGGGHHHH!!!!!!! Need to sleep on it.....;)
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort
    :) Mortgage Balance = £0 :)
    "Do what others won't early in life so you can do what others can't later in life"
  • annie42
    annie42 Posts: 205 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Look at post 93 on the other exit fees forum or go to https://www.thisismoney.co.uk
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure