Monarch Airlines stops trading - latest info and your rights

Options

Comments

• N4t4lie
    N4t4lie Posts: 197 Forumite
    Options
    Jones578 wrote: »
    I have booked my ticket via Expedia that is due to fly out on next Monday (9/10) and return on Friday (13/10) with a car rental. I have received ATOL cert that states both items on it.
    I want an alternatively flight that flies at similar time. I checked Skyscanner and found there is a BA flight that does it but for a significant more cost.
    I called Expedia and they say they will not arrange alternative flight for me. They said the only option for me is to call my card issuer and claim for charge back.
    Is it true?

Is Expedia listed on the ATOL certificate? If so, they should get the refund for you, chargeback is your last option to get your money back. If the certificate was issued by Monarch not Expedia, but I am not sure why this would be the case, then you have to apply to the CAA for the refund. Don't take no for an answer keep at them, it's their job.

As for paying for the more expensive flight it is unlikely they will be covered for that scenario by ATOL, but if anyone knows any different let me know.
  • bagand96
    bagand96 Posts: 6,102 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Jones578 wrote: »
    I have booked my ticket via Expedia that is due to fly out on next Monday (9/10) and return on Friday (13/10) with a car rental. I have received ATOL cert that states both items on it.
    I want an alternatively flight that flies at similar time. I checked Skyscanner and found there is a BA flight that does it but for a significant more cost.
    I called Expedia and they say they will not arrange alternative flight for me. They said the only option for me is to call my card issuer and claim for charge back.
    Is it true?

The CAA say you should get in touch with whoever your ATOL provider is (will say on the certificate, and more than likely Expedia). I think they should be doing more for you than what they've told you - you could ring the CAA and ask them 0300 303 2800
  • bagand96
    bagand96 Posts: 6,102 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    For anyone who might want to arrange alternative flights in the coming weeks Jet2 have announced increased schedules from Monarch bases http://www.jet2.com/extra-seats/
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Hi I paid for about half my package holiday with Monarch using Tesco boost vouchers. Does anyone know if the value will be refunded at all? Thanks Lynsey
  • N4t4lie
    N4t4lie Posts: 197 Forumite
    edited 2 October 2017 at 9:28PM
    Options
    Hi I paid for about half my package holiday with Monarch using Tesco boost vouchers. Does anyone know if the value will be refunded at all? Thanks Lynsey

Interesting, I would assume that ATOL covers the cost of the package and has no idea by what medium it was paid for. Although I don't know for certain I would assume that trying to refund Tesco points is not high on the CAA's list and the easier way would be to just pay out the cash.

Looks like the CAA claim form is not out yet, it may ask you how you paid for the holiday, but until anyone sees that I don't think anyone can answer that question 100%.

**UPDATE, people on Facebook reporting Tesco are recrediting points**
  • Warnesy4
    Options
    Is this information accurate?

I'm due to fly out on Sunday with Ryanair and fly back on the 15th with monarch. Are you sure this is the right info as I'm not sure if I should fly out.?

Cheers
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,207 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Warnesy4 wrote: »
    Is this information accurate?

I'm due to fly out on Sunday with Ryanair and fly back on the 15th with monarch. Are you sure this is the right info as I'm not sure if I should fly out.?

Cheers

I'm not sure I follow your question, can you clarify please? You obviously won't be travelling back with Monarch though.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Warnesy4
    Options
    Sorry, my question referred to you saying, flights will not be re arranged if I'm still in the UK at the moment.

I would like to know if I leave the UK on Sunday will a flight be re arranged for me with a different airline to come back on the Friday?
  • Warnesy4
    Options
    Sorry, my question referred to you saying, flights will not be re arranged if I'm still in the UK at the moment.

I would like to know if I leave the UK on Sunday will a flight be re arranged for me with a different airline to come back on the Friday?
  • Jones578
    Jones578 Posts: 32 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    N4t4lie wrote: »
    Is Expedia listed on the ATOL certificate? If so, they should get the refund for you, chargeback is your last option to get your money back. If the certificate was issued by Monarch not Expedia, but I am not sure why this would be the case, then you have to apply to the CAA for the refund. Don't take no for an answer keep at them, it's their job.

As for paying for the more expensive flight it is unlikely they will be covered for that scenario by ATOL, but if anyone knows any different let me know.
    bagand96 wrote: »
    The CAA say you should get in touch with whoever your ATOL provider is (will say on the certificate, and more than likely Expedia). I think they should be doing more for you than what they've told you - you could ring the CAA and ask them 0300 303 2800

Thanks for the response.
    Yes Expedia is listed as the ATOL provider on my ATOL cert.
    I guess they asked me to request refund via my card issuer as my ticket was purchased quite recently (just last week), so may be it's easier to do it that way for refund?

This is what is stated in the protection session on my ATOL cert:
    You are protected from when you were given this certificate to the end of your trip. If the provider of one of the parts of your trip listed above stops trading, in most circumstances, Expedia, Inc. must provide you with an alternative (at no extra cost) or offer you a full refund of the total ATOL-protected cost. See guidance on your rights at https://www.atol.org.uk. Please contact Expedia, Inc. on 0330 123 1235 (from abroad 00 44 203 0248211) travel@support.expedia.co.uk.

Does Expedia's advice contradict with what it was stated on the cert by not offering an alternative flight as an option at all?
    I am trying to call them again but the wait is long (I was put on hold for over an hour in my last call) and I don't think they are going to say anything different to me...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure