PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Prepping for Brexit thread

Options

Comments

• jk0
    jk0 Posts: 3,479 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Ah, it's more project fear. They come up with some dire consequence of Brexit every day, in the hope that we'll topple Boris.
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    :p I seldom watch the news, I prefer to read it (fewer histrionics and more depth for the time, for my opinion).

We will not get anything sensible out of the media because there are too many axes being ground. I have laid in some supplies of imported goods (olives and tomatoes, mainly). Am already winning muchly be using EVOO purchased at less than half what it costs now.

Hold one's nerve, go long on comforting supplies like TP and chocolate, pull up a chair and watch several political parties infarct before our naked steaming eyes.

Regardless on one's political persuasion, there is enough chaos on all sides of the political spectrum for everyone to feel a pleasing sense of amusement.

The sun will still rise on November 1st (first day of the celtic new year according to the pagans) and the world carries on turning.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • gfplux
    gfplux Posts: 4,985 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post Hung up my suit!
    Options
    We have a lot of BBQ’s in the summer and I have in the last couple of years started using pine cones (free) to supplement the charcoal (expensive)
    This has halved or more my consumption of the expensive charcoal.
    I am making sure I have a large stock of cones as they could be a welcome resource if needed this winter.
    There will be no Brexit dividend for Britain.
  • Living_proof
    Living_proof Posts: 1,921 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I went to Farmfoods yesterday to stock up on Nicky toilet rolls and bought double my usual amount, just in case there is a shortage later. The 18 roll pack is now £4.69 - I am sure it used to be £3.99, or am I imagining it?
    Solar Suntellite 250 x16 4kW Afore 3600TL dual 2KW E 2KW W no shade, DN15 March 14
    [SIZE Givenergy 9.5 battery added July 23
    [/SIZE]
  • Hello all, I'm just now thinking about maybe stockpiling some stuff just encase. I've never done this type of thing and have no idea where to start. I don't want to do it all in one go as I just couldn't afford it.

What would you recommend?

My dad keeps going on about how he was here prior to us joining the EU and said we functioned fine without it and we will do again, which I agree with, just don't know what to about the time it takes to get there.

I also think the shops will be stockpiling as it's in their best interest so I don't want to do to much just encase nothing happens, then again I'm sure having more might be a win win as it would save us money over time.

Sorry for the long typing, guess I'm just trying not to get overwhelmed with Brexit and the Environment! Oh I also have no stockpile to talk of, at the moment. I've been shopping weekly for just what we need at that moment in time.

Any help would be great, and thanks in advance.
  • DryTheRain
    DryTheRain Posts: 138 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Hi vintagetea, Jack Monroe's website has a good starter list, combining things from the EU that might become scarce or more expensive, like olive oil or tinned tomatoes, along with a selection of basics and extras to ring the changes and jolly things up :)
    https://cookingonabootstrap.com/2018/11/15/stockpiling-for-brexit/

It depends on your budget and circumstances of course, but there's still a good couple pf months to go, so even if it's just a few extra tins or packets a week, you'll soon have a nice buffer against any delays or disruption.
  • grunnie
    grunnie Posts: 1,789 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I am well stocked for foodstuffs and loo roll etc. 2 freezers full of garden produce and it looks like a good year for my apple trees though i am still eating last years . What bothers me is my prescription pills. I have osteoporosis and heart problems and 2 of my pills I only get 2 weeks at a time so can't build up a little supply. I did try getting them a week early before i went on holiday and got a phone call from the pharmacist at the surgery and she stopped one of my pills. I hear that Boots and a few more chemists are getting their flu jab supplies in September hope they keep ok.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I keep a rolling supply of things by getting in a couple of extra items each week and if I have any housekeeping left at the end of the week I buy in 'futures' rather than spend it on luxuries. An extra tin of baked beans, tomatoes and pulses will cost you round £1 if you use own brands from the supermarkets and go for their basic or world foods lines and if you do this every week it's surprising at how quickly you end up with a cupboard full of useful tinned foods. Buy a manual tin opener and you'll always have something to fill you up.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I picked up a 4 tier seed sprouter in the shop today for 50p, if we can't get hold of fresh salady things this winter I'm intending to sprout alfalfa seeds and grow mustard and cress and perhaps sprouted kale to supplement our vitamin intake. I've used a jar to sprout before I found this, quite successfully too using a piece of j cloth with larger perforation holes made in it secured to the jar by an elastic band.
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I went to Farmfoods yesterday to stock up on Nicky toilet rolls and bought double my usual amount, just in case there is a shortage later. The 18 roll pack is now £4.69 - I am sure it used to be £3.99, or am I imagining it?
    :( Your recollection is correct and the price has gone up. I bought utterly crazy amounts of TP a few months ago when Liddly had a really good offer and am probably good to go well into 2020.

In my family we have a saying: It isn't eating anything. Meaning, it's a supply which isn't costing you anything to hold.

Economists or cynics could absolutely counter about the opportunity cost of not having that money available for other things, or the cost/ incovenience of storage, and these are valid points. Our circs vary.

Meanwhile, in the dark dead end of space between the washer and the sink, lurk my litre bottles of EVOO bought on special at £2.99. You'd do well to get 500 ml for that right now, and I use this product every single day.

;) I'm happy. And I sure as heck wouldn't be getting 50% on a savings account!
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family