Report Bank Charges successes and failures

Options

Comments

• Mersey_2
    Mersey_2 Posts: 1,679 Forumite
    Options
    It's probably just a courtesy call to check your details or perhaps a Q they have before they can reply. Nothing to worry about.
    Please be polite to OPs and remember this is a site for Claimants and Appellants to seek redress against their bank, ex-boss or retailer. If they wanted morality or the view of the IoD or Bank they'd ask them.
  • MARKSKI
    MARKSKI Posts: 1 Newbie
    Options
    Lloyds Full Refund ! Over 3k!

I read an article about account fees and then used the Resolver application on this website. I've been paying account fees for more than 20 years having been told originally that I was more likely to get loans, credit and better interest etc and over the years the accounts just kept on being upgraded, to a point that I was paying £25 a month for insurance, car breakdown and all sorts of stuff I don't use or need.

It took 30 minutes to fill in my form, 1 phone call to discuss with Lloyds and 3 days after filling in the form I have £3864.54 credited back into my account (fees refunded with interest).

Amazing, thank you so much!

I encourage anyone with a history of paying fees out of habit to do this.
  • Jeccy
    Jeccy Posts: 1 Newbie
    Options
    Just received an email from the ombudsman upholding Barclays refusal to consider my claim because I should've made a complaint in 2009 having down-grading to a fee-free account in 2006.
    What a joke! My whole point is that I didn't know I could complain- I thought I had to pay in order to have an account. Isn't that why so many people are surprised with all this reclaiming??
    Sadly not a happy ending for me.
  • MDSDiver
    Options
    Bank name: LLOYDS
    Amount Reclaimed: £950
    Amount they paid:£2k
    The story:
    Used the resolver website to draft an email , reason advised by branch originally that had to get a packaged Gold account to get a loan , within a week of claim all resolved and £954 of fees repaid with interest totalling over £2k
    Also claimed for a second following period , but was unsuccessful as they had records of usage of breakdown only available with that exact account , even though miss sale claim for other period related to joint travel insurance.
  • stressedaah30
    stressedaah30 Posts: 1,332 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    resolved package account fees with lloyds man said £1100
    £600 for the fees paid £500 interest
    anyway i had the £600 in account today is it normal for the interest to be paid seperate i just thouhgt id get in a lumpsum together
    anyone shed any light on this please
    JAN WINS- pepsi tshirt,
  • bluemoon4ever
    bluemoon4ever Posts: 2 Newbie
    edited 13 July 2017 at 11:39PM
    Options
    SUCCESS in 24 hours with HALIFAX

WOW! i used your bank charge complaint template which collates your details then automatically emails your bank for you (Resolver). I did this Yesterday. Just claimed for mis-selling account when i needed an overdraught. Today i get a call from a nice man at the Halifax at 2pm who took some details, then by 6pm i was 2,200 GBP better off, and i didnt even have to leave my house!

Thanks again for all the great info and help.
  • bluemoon4ever
    Options
    @stressedaah30

Yes the same happened to me. I am getting 3 payments.1644.49 in returned fees, 509.76 in returned interest, and 138.00 in returned charges.

The 509.76 amount was in my account within 4 hours of the refund confirmed (approx 36 hours after making a claim) AMAZING!
  • SmokinAces
    Options
    So, I asked Barclays for a refund on bank charges from 5yrs ago. They offered me about 1/8th of what I asked for and sent a cheque. I called asking for more, they declined. If I cash the cheque, can I still go to the ombudsman? Thanks for any advice
  • antrobus
    antrobus Posts: 17,386 Forumite
    Options
    SmokinAces wrote: »
    So, I asked Barclays for a refund on bank charges from 5yrs ago. They offered me about 1/8th of what I asked for and sent a cheque. I called asking for more, they declined. If I cash the cheque, can I still go to the ombudsman? Thanks for any advice

The ombudsman has to take the law into account when we decide cases. So we considered the Supreme Court's decision - and its implications - very carefully. Our view is that the legal ruling means we are not generally able to help with cases that involve "template" or "standard letter" complaints about unauthorised overdraft charges.

But in keeping with our usual approach to complaints that are referred to us, we will review each case individually - to see whether there are any one-off circumstances that may apply. For example, we would expect current-account providers to deal positively and sympathetically with a consumer in financial hardship - including where bank charges had added to their difficulties

http://www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/faq/bank-charges.html
  • Mersey_2
    Mersey_2 Posts: 1,679 Forumite
    Options
    SmokinAces wrote: »

You should never usually bank a cheque - if it's an offer you are declining (as in law this is deemed to have accepted the offer).

However, banks allow customers to accept interim payments, so you should only bank it if you inform them that you are doing so on that basis - in order to crystallise their offer and to prevent interest from accruing - and that you do not accept their purported final offer. The FOS can look at any final offer letter within 6 months, if you refer it to them (you can do so online or over the 'phone).
    Please be polite to OPs and remember this is a site for Claimants and Appellants to seek redress against their bank, ex-boss or retailer. If they wanted morality or the view of the IoD or Bank they'd ask them.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback