The Giving Up/ Cutting Down alcohol support thread - number 13

Options

Comments

• WJN222
    WJN222 Posts: 202 Forumite
    Options
    morning all,

yes please shaggy could I join the challenge for 10 days target please?

Reporting in with 1AFD yesterday, have to admit was harder than I thought it would be :(
    walk 2018 miles in 2018 - 781 of 2018
    Save £5 for every PR: 10 of 35
  • sukeyboo
    sukeyboo Posts: 2,057 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Declaring early for tonight on 3/12 please Shaggy
  • macpep1
    macpep1 Posts: 1,749 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi Everyone

Well I failed my target miserably for June, finishing on 9/14 AFD'S was terrible last week its like I was drinking more to make up for the days I was AF & I felt like total !!!!!! if I am being honest. I was on a downward spiral & I knew it but yet I stayed on self destruct mode. However I am now back on the straight & narrow & so far for July I have 3 days AF (this is including tonight). Shaggy can you put me down for 14 for July Target please as I failed this for June so determined to do it for July. I am away on holiday on 30th for 2 weeks so I am determined to do this!
    :TGratitude is the best Attitude :T
    Long Term Flylady
  • Honey_Bear
    Honey_Bear Posts: 7,081 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Lots of people seem to be struggling at the moment. Reading / hearing about it makes me feel a bit helpless and I wish I could make the struggle disappear, but that's probably wishing for too much. I'm absolutely convinced though that posting daily - regardless of how much or how little people drink - is the key to changing something about our attitudes to it. Lovely to see so many people doing so at the moment.

You didn't sound even a bit judgmental to me Cathybird, but then I'm in agreement with you about the social acceptability of drinking wine at home and have posted fairly frequently about it myself. And it was drinking red wine at home that normalised my drinking and gradually caused my over-indulgence to creep up over the years. Well done for spotting your habit and changing something about your behaviour as a result.

Welcome back Maman. Is full fat tonic more gassy and therefore more bloatworthy than slimmers?

Enjoy Wimbledon, Shaggy! 5/31 please.
    Better is good enough.
  • ElusiveLucy
    ElusiveLucy Posts: 686 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    I think the point about wine is a very valid one. In a pub it is easy to measure wine in units of glasses, whereas at home a glass can have a variable amount in it and not only is it difficult to track how much you've had, it is also a temptation to keep going back til the bottle is empty. And of course an open bottle of wine in the fridge just calls to you each time you open the fridge door!

I think the weather has something to do with people struggling - we had some very nice weather in June and again down south this week it is lovely - that normally makes me want to sit in the garden with a drink in the evening (well not at the moment due to the ongoing dodgy fish symptoms, but it did when we had the lovely weather last month!)
    What goes around comes around.....I hope!
  • Eltee12
    Eltee12 Posts: 768 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee! Debt-free and Proud!
    edited 5 July 2017 at 1:13PM
    Options
    Hello

Final total for June 22/20 Da da Daaaaaaaaah! Never thought I'd exceed an alcohol-free target.

and 2/21 so far for July

Thanks

El
    2018 AFD 23/240
    2018 CCC #11 £38.40/£250
    Mortgage-free since 2013

Debt-free since Nov 2017
  • cathybird
    cathybird Posts: 13,318 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Afternoon all, 5/21 for me please. :)
    In April I am taking a break from buying: Books
  • cathybird
    cathybird Posts: 13,318 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Honey_Bear wrote: »
    Well done for spotting your habit and changing something about your behaviour as a result

Honey Bear, the odd thing is that I did that long ago, many years ago, and I'm not saying changes didn't result from it then and gradually since, but it was the more recent decision to cut the weekend bottle of wine from four weekends a month to two that resulted in no bottles of wine per month and almost no alcohol at all. Which was not the result I was expecting!
    In April I am taking a break from buying: Books
  • CuppaTea
    CuppaTea Posts: 1,331 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Just caught up great posts thanks guys.

I'm wobbling tonight. But will see how I feel later am driving till 7.30. So delay tactics may work.
    Live for the moment and plan for the future
  • Barny1979
    Barny1979 Posts: 7,921 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    3/20 AFDs today
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income