"Complete Savings" scheme

Options

Comments

• srikanthrv
    Options
    When i initially signed up they had sent me a email saying the monthly fee of 15£ will be refunded when i make a purchase from Debenhams or any other retailer. But now they say i have to make a purchase at debenhams only which is clearly against what is shown in my welcome email.

They are beoming very difficult and may not be worthwhile to continue my membership with them.
  • brian1314
    Options
    I received a notification of billing from this lot. It took me some time to discover how I had signed up. I eventually narrowed it down to my advance purchase of train tickets and the £20 offer included with the purchase.
    I went to my account details, got my membership number and email to customer support saying I had no wish to be a member. Two working days later I got a cancellation of membership message with reference number.
    They also explained how I signed up and I can honestly say that I have no recollection of any reference to recurring charges.
  • Danboutafe
    Options
    I was signed up either by Hermes or Parking. Can't say because apparently both are routes through to this company.

Spoke to bank when I discovered Email saying I had signed up. Bank knew immediately I mentioned the completesavings name. Ask yourself why? Ask yourself why they appear to have traded under different names over the years?

Thanks to this thread - and others of a similar title on MSE - I now know how it is possible for you to be redirected to this while logged in to a so called "secure payment portal" . Is it legal or within the spirit of Consumer Credit Act or Consumer Law? Do the credit card companies and the originating shopping portals - such as Hermes - not have a duty of care towards customers?

Ask yourself: Why does this company base itself outside the UK? Why do they put the onus on you to discover THEIR hidden T&Cs when the pop-up to them appears to be part of the originating site?
  • stemcgoo
    stemcgoo Posts: 130 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    GoofyGAT wrote: »
    I purchased an internet security programme today & the Complete Savings offer had it all on the sign-up screen itself - read the text in the right column under 'Offer and Billing Details' in the screenshot below. Didn't people get this or similar when signing-up? Or, is it something new?

Edit: well, the screenshot got reduced after posting it here making it hard to read, so please follow this link to view it clearly in its original size..

M0T7EtX.png

Danboutafe...illegal link to secure payment pages? T has already been proved on here and in court that there is nonsuch thing going on. This post by GoofyGAT clearly shows the screens we have all used to sign up. You like many other customers have clearly signed up, forgotten and then react with shock as you might having forgotten.
  • Danboutafe
    Options
    Hello Stemcgo,
    I see where I mislead myself here. BTW I took the opportunity to lookup Webloyalty on Wikipedia and you are right, the court cases took place in the US many years ago and the practice of direct clicking through from the sponsoring partner to your website was stopped after the US Senate intervention. Also, I see that a former CEO left the business back in 2013.

I wanted to know why companies like B&Q and Debenhams had stopped being partners and it seems that is mostly because of consumer complaints rather than anything illegal. So they were simply worried about their brand reputation rather than the actual scheme.

I also looked at your post of a click through pop-up or whatever it is called. Now it seems to me it would not be so easy to "forget" about signing up to this if a few simple changes were to be made. For e.g. Instead of giving equal weight and positioning at the top of the page to the logo's of Conplete Savings and Kaspersky you could leave the Kaspersky logo off and just say something along the lines of: You have have been transferred to this site by etc,etc, that is operated by Complete Savings and not your original retailer. Also, I think it is potentially misleading to say you are getting the £15 cash back voucher "on this purchase with Kaspersky". It isn't from Kaspersky is it? It's from Complete Savings surely? And surely is voucher isn't a cheque? Or is it, and where is it if it is an "actual cheque you can pay into your bank?

Sorry to ask so many questions, but I have realised now that I was more confused than I originally thought. I just thought I had got a really good deal from Hermes and you are right - I should have paid more attention before handing over my details.
  • superblooz
    Options
    I can't believe some people,they moan about things like this being a scam & having monies taking from their account,but are quick enough to sign up thinking they're getting something for nothing! :mad: I can't see the hassle of claiming & your cash back is paid directly into your account.Even on a LOW monthly food bill for an average family spending £400 in Tesco say,you'd earn your monthly fee £15 + £25...That's just for one shop! How can you go wrong?? There's no contract so you can cancel your membership any time. The more you spend the more you earn! :j Who doesn't like something for nothing? & NO,I don't work for the company
  • sophiepurdey123
    Options
    hi i had the same problem and was wondering if you ever got your refund? i just emailed them and awaiting a reply for a refund as i never entered any bank details!!
  • Dods
    Options
    I discovered that Complete Savings had taken 9 months at £15 per month out of my account.
    OK I should have spotted it but I didn't. It was hidden among my direct debits no I didn't notice. I had not signed up to them or ticked any boxes and they were using an old email address that I would never have used to order anything. I emailed them last Thursday and threatened them with Trading Standards and/or legal action and received a full refund on Saturday - no questions asked.
    They said it was started with a purchase from Jacamo in June 2016. The only thing I have ever bought from there was in 2015 and I definitely hadn't signed up to anything and I never tick boxes.
    OK I got all my money back because I knew what to do but a lot of unsuspecting people don't realise they can do this.
  • stemcgoo
    stemcgoo Posts: 130 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Dods wrote: »
    I discovered that Complete Savings had taken 9 months at £15 per month out of my account.
    OK I should have spotted it but I didn't. It was hidden among my direct debits no I didn't notice. I had not signed up to them or ticked any boxes and they were using an old email address that I would never have used to order anything. I emailed them last Thursday and threatened them with Trading Standards and/or legal action and received a full refund on Saturday - no questions asked.
    They said it was started with a purchase from Jacamo in June 2016. The only thing I have ever bought from there was in 2015 and I definitely hadn't signed up to anything and I never tick boxes.
    OK I got all my money back because I knew what to do but a lot of unsuspecting people don't realise they can do this.

Dods, You are clearly in denial. Everyone knows how the schemes work, and many people like you sign up, forget, then deny ever signing up. Just because Complete Savings refund you because they CBA with the aggro doesn't make your case stronger.
    For example, your old email you would "never use" - so how did they get it? It's your email? No one else would share this but you? And if you stopped using it yourself then of course you won't be seeing their emails informing you of your membership scheme and deductions....
  • triffski
    Options
    Yep, obviously this is a scam, I should've spotted it and I should've read the small print.

After noticing the email from them in my spam folder this morning and then the text at the bottom of it saying they had been charging £15 a month since January, I sent them an email threatening legal action on principle if they didn't refund in full.

The following just arrived:

Thank you for contacting us.

Our records show that your membership was cancelled on 22/03/2017 via our website

Your cancel confirmation number is above.

You are entitled to 3 refunds of £15 for the membership fees you were charged. We have also processed the refund of the initial £1 charged for the first 30 days of subscription. Your refund will be credited to your credit or debit card account within 3 to 5 working days.

Our records show that you or someone with access to your credit/debit card completed an online transaction with Trainline.
    After your transaction, you were offered the opportunity to join the Complete Savings programme with a £20 cash back voucher and the first 30 days for just £1.

Immediately next to the offer, the offer and Billing Details were displayed. By entering your name, postal code, selecting the relevant postal address from the drop down list, inserting your credit or debit card details and then clicking on the 'yes' button to accept the offer, you authorised us to charge the monthly membership fee of £15 to the credit card or debit card that was provided after your trial period ended.

I'll be keeping an eye out for the refund. Irony is I never even used the Trainline offer I signed up for.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure