Balancing not just the budget

Options

Comments

• RosaBernicia
    RosaBernicia Posts: 4,877 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    edited 2 January 2019 at 8:21PM
    Options
    Today I am grateful for my buffer fund and all the progress I've made since I've been here, and therefore to you lot :D:A:T:money:

The remortgage has completed but only after the direct debit came out - and not only that, it's gone out as the variable rate so about £350 more than usual. Having spoken to the conveyancers and the old mortgage company, it should be returned in 5 working days but of course there were times when that would have been a problem. Very glad I decided to keep funds readily available even if it does mean a small interest payment on the CC (which will now be cleared once the mortgage direct debit is safely returned).

As for goals, I realised I only have one for 2019 and that's to be happy. I'm very grateful to realise that there is nothing I need to achieve and nothing I need to do for my security at present, so I can focus on other aspects of my life. Of course there will be things that come out of my happiness aspiration, but I'm hoping that one guiding principle will make my decisions easier :)

Rosa xx
    Debt free May 2016... DFW#2 in progress
    Campervan paid off summer '21... MFW progress tbc
  • WannabeFree
    WannabeFree Posts: 4,438 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Happy new year Rosa

x
    “Once you hit rock bottom, that's where you perfectly stand; That's your chance of restarting, but restarting the way.”
  • RosaBernicia
    Options
    Happy new year Rosa

x

Happy new year to you too Wannabe. I hope it brings you and your small ones happy times

Rosa xx
  • redofromstart
    redofromstart Posts: 4,167 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I very much like your happiness target, sounds eminently sensible to me.
  • MuffinTops
    MuffinTops Posts: 2,477 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hello Rosa,

They do say that the key to a happy and beautiful life is to be grateful for what you have, which you've nailed there. You're also so productive and face challenges head on, so it's good to see you reap those benefits.

What a lovely start to the year.

MTx
  • RosaBernicia
    Options
    MuffinTops wrote: »
    Hello Rosa,

They do say that the key to a happy and beautiful life is to be grateful for what you have, which you've nailed there. You're also so productive and face challenges head on, so it's good to see you reap those benefits.

What a lovely start to the year.

MTx

Thanks MT.

I think being productive in different ways is going to be part of changes this year. I am in the process of leaving my extra contract work and they are basically trying to make me feel bad about it, but I want that time for creative and social things much more than I want to be in their good books any more :rotfl:

Rosa xx
  • RosaBernicia
    edited 6 January 2019 at 5:26PM
    Options
    Early shuffle because I am procrastinating about something else I'm supposed to be doing :o

All on track, YNAB matches up and all being well I will be back in the black (by my own rules) this payday. I cheat on YNAB by entering pay for the calendar month as otherwise I can't tell how much of each paycheque I have left after the necessaries. I may have some work for the house to pay for and I need to build the buffer fund back up properly, but it's all plodding in the right direction.

The remortgage has been confirmed completed and if the direct debit isn't returned to my account tomorrow first thing I'll be phoning the old company to get it sorted (they said it should be returned within 5 working days).

I accidentally went to the Swedish store and have come back with a piece of furniture I don't really need... so I think that will stay in its box and can be returned. Also accidentally went in one of the other homeware stores and wandered around with the spendy itches until I remembered that I have now furnished the house and have very little excuse to buy anything. Except a shower curtain, so I bought one of those and took myself out of there before I could spend on anything else :rotfl:. I have a clothes order arriving tomorrow, but it's half price and stuff I really wanted to try so that's OK.

Right I suppose I'd better go and get on with what I'm meant to be doing :o
    Hope everyone is having a good weekend

Rosa xx
  • doingitanyway
    doingitanyway Posts: 8,747 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    The Swedish store is hugely tempting.

Enjoy your new clothes. I am itching for mine to come too. I have been decluttering clothes, so a few new pieces that I love will be very welcome :)
    If you have built castles in the air, your work should not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them.

Solicitor/survey savings 300/1700
    Emergency fund 0/1000
    Buffer fund 0/200
  • MuffinTops
    MuffinTops Posts: 2,477 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic Combo Breaker
    Options
    It's reassuring to know that I'm not the only person who accidentally enters shops to find the spendy itches are happening. At least it didn't take you long to talk yourself out of those itches.

Why do people have to try to make you feel bad to get you to keep them in their comfort zone. I'm glad you've decided to take care of yourself on this.

MTxx
  • RosaBernicia
    Options
    Thanks MT

It's reassuring to know that I'm not the only person who accidentally enters shops to find the spendy itches are happening. At least it didn't take you long to talk yourself out of those itches.

I think it's partly just not being used to having 'spare money'. I have got accustomed to paying the van loan (though not yet the idea that I am spending on two vehicles which still freaks me out :o) and I'm not sure what else I really want to do. I think it might help if I set a savings target and I might up my social budget - I don't go out as much as I'd like, and I actually can afford to now.

Why do people have to try to make you feel bad to get you to keep them in their comfort zone. I'm glad you've decided to take care of yourself on this.

I think in this instance it's just really poor management skills. I have tried to help improve the system and I'm being ignored, which I actually find quite insulting given my experience - so I don't see any hope of it changing and there are so many other things I could do. I've also learned through doing this that I don't want to take my career in that particular direction so the costs are just way over the benefits. It is also unpredictable - and has no need to be - and I'm already finding that the idea of getting rid of it is worth it just to be rid of the anxiety that a pile of work will arrive just when I have arranged other things. So yes, I am taking care of me this time :)

Rosa xx
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family