mobiles.co.uk trick to lure in customers?

Options

Comments

• boatman
    boatman Posts: 4,699 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I wouldn't be surprised if its bait and switch... Proving it is another matter..
  • shaggy
    shaggy Posts: 1,030 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Why do people think this is some sort of scam or a 'bait' to get you to go on other products? Is it simply because the OP failed the credit check? This is not proof enough. A company like mobiles.co.uk (part of carphone warehouse) wouldnt be so stupid to do that, because if found out, will get lots of bad PR and lost custom for them. Why on earth would they even need to do something like this? I find some of the posts in this thread ridiculous. Accusing without proving.
  • Jon_01
    Jon_01 Posts: 5,870 Forumite
    Options
    shaggy wrote: »
    I find some of the posts in this thread ridiculous. Accusing without proving.

Isn't that what the internet is for ;)
  • shaggy
    shaggy Posts: 1,030 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Jon_01 wrote: »
    Isn't that what the internet is for ;)

:)

Sir, I sentence you to five years of bad emojis

!!!128513;!!!127874;!!!129310;!!!127829;!!!129315;!!!128075;!!!128021;!!!128052;
  • johnathan45
    johnathan45 Posts: 79 Forumite
    edited 27 April 2018 at 10:18AM
    Options
    Why do people think this is some sort of scam or a 'bait' to get you to go on other products? Is it simply because the OP failed the credit check? This is not proof enough. A company like mobiles.co.uk (part of carphone warehouse) wouldnt be so stupid to do that, because if found out, will get lots of bad PR and lost custom for them. Why on earth would they even need to do something like this? I find some of the posts in this thread ridiculous. Accusing without proving.

I've had my doubts based on my experience( and going through this forum there are several) and wanted to know if this was an isolated incident or not. There is nothing wrong in expressing it online. That's the point of these forums.

Perhaps it's a genuine offer that I didn't get. Perhaps not. You are misguided if you think big companies don't use stupid tricks.
  • boatman
    boatman Posts: 4,699 Forumite
    edited 27 April 2018 at 10:17AM
    Options
    Accusing without proving.
    But this is why they think they can get away with it. As has been said, there are comments saying the company have their own as well as the networks criteria/credit check. unless you get an ex-employee with proof of a proactive policy, its very hard as an individual to prove anything.
    The mobile industry really is the wild west when it comes to dubious tactics. Over the phone they will tell you anything to strike the deal but never put it down in an email, why is that? This board is full of stories of people being duped in to deals they didn't want, is it such a stretch to believe they would bait and switch on a deal?
  • johnathan45
    Options
    Getting a sense of deja vu! Have a look at this thread:
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5313930
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I think if people took more time and shopped around with a budget in mind and read what the offer exactly is we wouldn't need laws to hand hold us. I have had mobile phone contracts since 2000 and never been scammed, tricked or robbed lol

Half the problem seems to be people wanting the cheapest deal and stick their fingers in ears or hands over eyes not wanting to hear or see what the deal really is.
  • johnathan45
    Options
    john22 wrote: »
    I think if people took more time and shopped around with a budget in mind and read what the offer exactly is we wouldn't need laws to hand hold us. I have had mobile phone contracts since 2000 and never been scammed, tricked or robbed lol

Half the problem seems to be people wanting the cheapest deal and stick their fingers in ears or hands over eyes not wanting to hear or see what the deal really is.

I think you are missing the point.

In this case, the customer has a budget, has done all the calculation and places on online order. The website asks him to call them instead and tries to sell an expensive offer, the ‘net’ cost of which is not so easy for an average consumer to calculate mentally
  • System
    System Posts: 178,094 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I think you are missing the point.

In this case, the customer has a budget, has done all the calculation and places on online order. The website asks him to call them instead and tries to sell an expensive offer, the ‘net’ cost of which is not so easy for an average consumer to calculate mentally

I don’t know what the definition or how you measure the average customer. All I will say is if I see a deal that I want and it’s within my budget but then be told something else I will walk away from the deal.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure