PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Housing market move given Brexit and interest rise

Options

Comments

• qwert_yuiop
    qwert_yuiop Posts: 3,615 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    jimbo747 wrote: »
    We can keep building houses until there isn't a single bit of green belt left, and at some point in the future it still won't be enough. There are plenty of houses in the UK per sq mile, probably too many.

Problem is population size. Need to reduce population by about 10-20m, ideally by encouraging those in poverty not to have children, and preventing immigration where they're likely to take more out of the system than pay in. Brexit will help solve one of those probelms. Wages will go up, house prices go down, more disposable income therefore less reliance on credit, so less depression, less chance of a crash affecting us and everyone apart from wealthy business owners like me or those investing in property will be happier.
    What an enormous pile of nonsense. Boeing piling pressure on Trump to stick tariffs on a Canadian company has literally nothing to do with Brexit.

Is this what this country has been reduced to: grown men weeping about an economic process they know almost nothing about. I'm not sure who the real snowflakes are.

I believe the message is that we won't be able to expect any favours from the Americans. You're right, nothing to do with brexit, but some indication that life may not be easy post brexit.
    “What means that trump?” Timon of Athens by William Shakespeare
  • Tiners
    Tiners Posts: 232 Forumite
    Options
    jimbog wrote: »
    You will get a better debate in the debate forum:
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/forumdisplay.php?f=149

You definitely won't get a ''better debate'' there... it's populated by a small but very vociferous clique of vested interests, property investors, recent buyers etc... who all hold the general opinion that never ending, policy driven, rampant house price inflation is great and has no drawbacks what so ever.
  • glasgowdan
    glasgowdan Posts: 2,967 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Tiners wrote: »
    You definitely won't get a ''better debate'' there... it's populated by a small but very vociferous clique of vested interests, property investors, recent buyers etc... who all hold the general opinion that never ending, policy driven, rampant house price inflation is great and has no drawbacks what so ever.

You've accounted for a small portion of the posters in that forum... I guess you belong to the other, more vocal/less informed portion! :)
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    We've already had the 1st direct trade deal: HUGE extra tariffs of British exports to USofA of Bombadier series C.

I weep for my country.

Bombardier is a Canadian Company. ;)

PS. Boeing employs 19,000 people in the UK.
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Skag wrote: »
    I live in London and have observed the last weeks that new properties are coming in the market for lower prices that used to say half a year or one year ago.

London is an international market. Speaking to some Canadians in Eire a few weeks ago. They now call Vancouver, Hongcouver. As money from Asia is now driving the locals out. While everyone concerns themselves with Europe. The middle class of Asia continues to grow in size. The world order is changing.
  • jimbog
    jimbog Posts: 2,113 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    You probably won`t actually :rotfl:

Judging by the responses so far I think the OP would ;)
    Gather ye rosebuds while ye may
  • Crashy_Time
    Crashy_Time Posts: 13,386 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Thrugelmir wrote: »
    London is an international market. Speaking to some Canadians in Eire a few weeks ago. They now call Vancouver, Hongcouver. As money from Asia is now driving the locals out. While everyone concerns themselves with Europe. The middle class of Asia continues to grow in size. The world order is changing.

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2017/02/15/vancouver-average-house-price-january-2017_n_14775268.html
  • Crashy_Time
    Crashy_Time Posts: 13,386 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    glasgowdan wrote: »
    You've accounted for a small portion of the posters in that forum... I guess you belong to the other, more vocal/less informed portion! :)

There are about six or seven regular posters.......all singing from the same hymn sheet ;)
  • 00ec25
    00ec25 Posts: 9,123 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    There are about six or seven regular posters.......all singing from the same hymn sheet ;)
    did they drive you away or have you failed to convince them of your brand of nonsense?
  • ukcarper
    ukcarper Posts: 17,337 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Tiners wrote: »
    No it's not many just don't subscribe The HPC rhetoric.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure