My journey to a debt free life

Options

Comments

• enthusiasticsaver
    Options
    Good that you feel more in control and have started the DMP process. Well done on cutting up the cards. I would urge you to start saving for an emergency fund. Did stepchange tell you to default on the credit card payments?

Hope you feel better soon.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Onebrokelady
    Onebrokelady Posts: 7,385 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Good that you feel more in control and have started the DMP process. Well done on cutting up the cards. I would urge you to start saving for an emergency fund. Did stepchange tell you to default on the credit card payments?

Hope you feel better soon.
    Hi,Ive sorted sorted the beginnings of an emergency fund ( £450.00) but will keep adding to it as and when I can,three of my creditors have been paid for this month one is my over draft with my old bank which I’ve stopped using and one is due to be paid on the 22nd,I’ve taken the money that they should have been paid and put it in my emergency fund,I’m going to phone them all this afternoon to let them know I am starting a DMP with Stepchange
    Original Debt Owed Jan 18 = £17,630 Paid To Date = £6,080.1 Owed = £11,549.9
  • Cherryfudge
    Cherryfudge Posts: 10,042 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Get well soon :)
    I think a bit of sunshine is good for frugal living. (Cranky40)
    The sun's been out and I think I’m solar powered (Onebrokelady)

Fashion on the Ration challenge, 2024: Trainers 5 coupons. 5/68
    20.5 coupons used in 2020. 62.5 used in 2021. 94.5 remaining as of 21/3/22
  • Onebrokelady
    edited 9 February 2018 at 2:43PM
    Options
    Visited the docs this morning and as I suspected I have a chest infection,so I now have anti biotics to take and because my breathing was so bad they also gave me a ventolin inhaler,I had asthma when I was younger but havent had any treatment for it for 30 odd years she said Im not asthmatic but the chest infection is causing some asthma symptoms which should hopefully go away when the chest infection clears,I felt a bit better after I used it as I was having trouble breathing when I got to the surgery,Im now home in the warm and Im not intending to go anywhere now

The good news is that although I had to pay £17ish for the prescription I was able to pay in cash,this would normally have been an unbudgeted item and it would have gone on my CC but now I have an emergency fund I was able to use some of that I also got a bit of shopping while I was out as I had nothing for lunch so bread and other staples have been sorted,my daughter and her boyfriend go shopping tomorrow so Im going to ask them to get any other bits I need

I also had time to get to the post office so posted the DMP paperwork back to Stepchange and Im going to phone my creditors later to let them know Im entering a DMP
    So thats my day so far,Ive taken my first antibiotics so hopefully they will start to work soon and I will start to feel better :)
  • Cherryfudge
    Options
    Perfect argument for having an emergency fund!

Hope the antibiotics act quickly and meanwhile the inhaler is there to help. It also shows you were right to stay off work!

• Onebrokelady
    Options
    Perfect argument for having an emergency fund!

Hope the antibiotics act quickly and meanwhile the inhaler is there to help. It also shows you were right to stay off work!
    Thanks Cherry,it was definitely a good thing I didnt go to work I can barely breath at the moment without having a massive coughing fit,it made calling my creditors interesting as I kept having to stop talking to get my breath back,hopefully I will start to get better now, even the dog is worried,she keeps coming and getting up on the sofa and snuggling up to me :)
  • redofromstart
    Options
    Hope the anti-b's kick in soon. I had a chest infection some years ago (triggered by peeling mouldy wallpaper we think) and I think it was the most exhausting thing ever.
  • Onebrokelady
    edited 9 February 2018 at 5:12PM
    Options
    I epent this afternoon calling my creditors and telling them my situation so that is another job ticked off, It seemed to take ages because I kept getting put on hold which was frustrating but once I got through to an actual person they were all very nice,Imjust not sure what to do about my old bank account now,Imnot sure who to,contact about my overdraft or if I should just wait until Stepchange contact them,I can now sit and wait to see what is going to happen next,Ive done everything I am supposed to do and its now up to the powers that be as to what happens next,I am now going to have a break from thinking about it for a bit and concentrate on getting better
    Im hoping to do a bit more sewing later if I can calm this cough down,I managed three letters last night but didnt start until late and was too tired to do any more
    Ive managed to wash all the towels today but not done anything else house wise as I feel too ill,I still havent made the banana bread,I think its going to have to roll over into tomorrow
    Its also a good job I got all the financial stuff sorted by today because I found out yesterday that my daughter has got the next two weeks off so trying to phone people without her finding out would have been very difficult.......phew
  • Onebrokelady
    Options
    Hope the anti-b's kick in soon. I had a chest infection some years ago (triggered by peeling mouldy wallpaper we think) and I think it was the most exhausting thing ever.
    It’s awful isn’t it I am indeed exhausted and it hasn’t helped having to sort all this financial stuff out this week,it was such a bad time to get ill,I’m so glad a I carried on though because it’s all done now and I just have to wait the outcome
  • Cherryfudge
    Options
    Lots and lots of progress today, then! You deserve a bit of time off.

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport