PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

More Charity Shop Bargains for 2018 & beyond!

Options

Comments

• Floss
    Floss Posts: 8,249 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    I popped into my local Oxfam at lunchtime - no message of apology in their windows... I did however snaffle a Phase Eight tweed dress for £4.50 and an Autograph belted denim jacket for £4 :o
    2021 Decluttering Awards: ⭐⭐🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇 2022 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
    2023 Decluttering Awards: 🥇 🏅🏅🥇
    2024 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
  • mcculloch29
    mcculloch29 Posts: 4,972 Forumite
    Rampant Recycler
    Options
    Our nearest Oxfam shop has a reputation for being expensive. I bought a few bits from there over the years, but haven't crossed the threshold for several years now.
    The one in Durham City is a boutique, which tells you everything you want to know about their prices.
    Years ago, I used to get little pieces from their old Durham City bookshop, they sold ethnic gifts, and although double the price you'd pay in in Internationale, there were always some good bargains in the January Sale.
    I still have gold and silver papier-mache decorations from India that were fifty p and a quid, I think. However, that's not what you go into a charity shop for, is it?
    Erma Bombeck, American writer: "If I had my life to live over again... I would have burned the pink candle, sculptured like a rose, that melted in storage." Don't keep things 'for best' - that day never comes. Use them and enjoy them now.
  • Donkeybunny
    Options
    Hi all, not been to chazzas since before the New Year. Went to a small town after visiting parents. Got:
    Timberland gilet for eldest son
    H&m hoodie for youngest
    H&m showerproof jacket for youngest
    2dvds, 1cd
    Johnson bros coffee pot (should have been a set of 3 items but 2 missing)
    2x Maddock cup & saucers
    Grand total of £14
  • Laredouter
    Options
    I popped back into the charity shops today with the bf to look at the men's clothes for him. There were signs in the window of the two Oxfam shops apologising.

Had some good purchases today:

Bf got a nice blue and mustard checked shirt from Raging Bull for £6. New ones are £65, I have taught him well.

In the Marie Curie shop he surprised me with a Mulberry tote bag for £10. I think it's fake, but I won't tell him as it's still a really good replica of the Bayswater tote.

He also got me a White Stuff navy blue Merino wool jumper for £8.99. I think it is a menswear jumper accidentally put in the women's section but it fits really well and is so soft.

I bought myself a silk-blend Gerry Weber breton stripe blouse for £5.99 and a cotton/wool blend cranberry and cream striped tunic from Sandwich for £4. My best buy has to be the teal Berghaus waterproof jacket for £12.99. I bought it for running and walking and I couldn't be more happy with it!

All-in-all, a great day's shopping and my new wardrobe is coming along nicely!
  • Sayschezza
    Options
    I had a result today already!

Golf clubs with bag for £15 for a whole set!

Well done. Sounds like a good bargain.
    All that clutter used to be money
  • Miró
    Miró Posts: 6,907 Forumite
    Homepage Hero Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Laredouter wrote: »
    I popped back into the charity shops today with the bf to look at the men's clothes for him. There were signs in the window of the two Oxfam shops apologising.

Had some good purchases today:

Bf got a nice blue and mustard checked shirt from Raging Bull for £6. New ones are £65, I have taught him well.

In the Marie Curie shop he surprised me with a Mulberry tote bag for £10. I think it's fake, but I won't tell him as it's still a really good replica of the Bayswater tote.

He also got me a White Stuff navy blue Merino wool jumper for £8.99. I think it is a menswear jumper accidentally put in the women's section but it fits really well and is so soft.

I bought myself a silk-blend Gerry Weber breton stripe blouse for £5.99 and a cotton/wool blend cranberry and cream striped tunic from Sandwich for £4. My best buy has to be the teal Berghaus waterproof jacket for £12.99. I bought it for running and walking and I couldn't be more happy with it!

All-in-all, a great day's shopping and my new wardrobe is coming along nicely!

Wow, some real bargains there, (lots of others striking lucky too I see) :T

If it's the full sized Mulberry Bayswater I hope you have some strong arms! I have a dark brown one and I need a Sherpa to carry the blooming thing as it is sooo heavy - I hardly ever use it!
  • dolly84
    dolly84 Posts: 5,851 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    DH bought a Crew Clothing Co down filled gilet yesterday, it is in dark green, brand new, beautifully made and just £9.99, on the website they are £110. The lady in the shop had it behind the counter so I asked if it was for sale and she had put it to one side for someone, we popped back nearly 2 hours later and it was still there. Unless they know someone it is better not to do that and just get money in the till imo.
    Debt Free and now a saver, conscious consumer, low waste lifestyler

Fashion on the Ration 28/66
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,689 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    Dolly84 - someone else's loss is your gain. :T

Great bargain. :)
  • GreenBitterfly
    Options
    There's a sign up in my local Hospice charity shop stating that they can't reserve items due to lack of space. I've always wondered about having an 'emergency Charity Shop find' fund in my purse, so I've always got some money to buy something if I desperately want it, rather than risk going to get some money and coming back to find it gone.

Popped into my local Scope this morning, and found a creased and slightly bashed copy of Anita and Me by Meera Syal for £1. Despite the condition, I've been desperately wanting a copy of this for a while, so I snapped it up. I also picked up a hardback copy of Frank Bruno's latest autobiography for £2.

I spotted some Royal Worcester ramekins in the Evesham pattern, but they had what looked like either paint or make up stains on them, so I didn't get them.
  • Miró
    Miró Posts: 6,907 Forumite
    Homepage Hero Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    There's a sign up in my local Hospice charity shop stating that they can't reserve items due to lack of space. I've always wondered about having an 'emergency Charity Shop find' fund in my purse, so I've always got some money to buy something if I desperately want it, rather than risk going to get some money and coming back to find it gone.

I carry a 'Charity Shop Purse' with a £10 kitty consisting of £1 and 50p coins. I find the smaller independent c/shops often struggle with change so this helps, (if I remember to keep it topped up). They look as if they are going to have a heart attack if you offer a £20 note :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure